cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

Anonymous
Not applicable
"djm" wrote:
"AmazingPaper" wrote:
Even if the headset itself would cost sub 100$, the amount of money you need to invest in a system capable of comfortably running a VR experience that does not look like something from the 90s itself, will be very off putting.

Well, that's actually an Oculus problem. Sony with Morpheus is doing its VR for PS4 and seems to work great.

Not the same ~ The demo/full games are an example of this. Same with phones etc - The games are REALLY strip down and not a whole lot going on when comparing. Like comparing apples to oranges - Sorry -

PC (100%) > Console (30%) > Phone (5%)

As for the PC - Meh - it wont cost a whole lot depending on what you want to play. I've already talk about this on a number of other threads - so we should end this here, but cost of owning VR is dropping like crazy and a PC for 2016 VR will be in the sub $800-1200. The only people that don't have that kind of money shouldn't be playing games or needs to actually go out and work.

Even then ~ for most people this will only be a GPU upgrade so total cost will drop to whatever the cost of their upgrade would be. In total - $300-500 (GPU, PSU)

For example, I just got a R9 Fury X. Ran a heavens benchmark - did 2x screen render everything on max with a 8% overclock on the memory and clocks. My Avg FPS was 70. That's crazy! I could've turn things down at this point and get around 100 FPS each eye. PC is so above in hardware that it is almost pointless to try and compare the PC to anything at this point. Next year will even have better hardware/more memory because of HBM. 8GB monsters running around will eat everything on 2x 2k screens. That be like playing 1x 4k screen at 150Hzs

Diabolic1981
Honored Guest
I have a question as i cant see it anywhere on the internet. I heard/saw somehere you can preorder the CV at Q4 2015.
But where remains the question. As i come from the Netherlands and i saw that it would be only possible to preorder your CV1 from the official website. I wonder if someone can explain to me 2 questions:

1. When and where can Oculus Rift Consumer Version be pre ordered? And is there any price known yet?

2. Will my new gaming rig be enough for CV1?

As i have upgraded my system for CV. and yeah also for my triple Asus ROG monitors

Core i7 6700K Skylake
32GB DDR4 RAM
Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX980Ti x 2 (Sli)
2 x 500GB SSD Raid 0

So hoping i would manage this fine.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The details regarding ordering the consumer Rift have not yet been announced.

In terms of the hardware needed, see here: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

pedrw
Expert Protege
Will I have to subistituir my video card ?

GPU: GeForce GT 730
CPU: Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 8.00 GB RAM (7.96 GB usable) 8:00 GB RAM is enough ?
Current resolution: 1920 X 1080 60 Hz this resolution must be very poor
Driver Version: 353.62

Oculus Rift CV1 High-end Graphics Card "Needed"
http://www.vrcircle.com/post/oculus-rif ... ard-needed

BUILDING THE RIFT PC
http://www.octopusrift.com/building-the-rift-pc/

cybereality
Grand Champion
Did you read the link I posted? It shows what hardware is needed.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Diabolic1981
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
The details regarding ordering the consumer Rift have not yet been announced.

In terms of the hardware needed, see here: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

Thanks for the reply and as it seems my new gaming rig is beyond the specs it needs to run at 90Hz.

I shall wait till the official announcement for pre order. Will there be payments possible with PayPal as i dont own a creditcard. As i saw the DK2 is able to be payed by paypal, so i assume the pre order of CV1 will be aswell payed by paypal :?:

Ahh forgot to ask, is there any kind of tool where you can try and see if your gaming rig can uphold the requirement of 90Hz?
I mean i can play all sorts of game in ultra mode, but i see fps @ 2K above 100fps in ultra settings. But i don't think it is the same as using the rift.
Any chance you know any idea to test it, any tool?

cybereality
Grand Champion
If your computer meets or exceeds the recommended spec then you should be OK.

raidx
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
If your computer meets or exceeds the recommended spec then you should be OK.

I dont think having a i5 from a previous generation will stop you from having a great experience

I still use my old i5 2500K @3.7Ghz and this paired with a 970, I can run the Dk2 without issues

I dont quite understand why they didnt just say Desktop i5 or higher. The difference in FPS between a 4590 and a 2500K must be really minimal.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, it's true that there is not a huge difference between recent CPU generations. However, it's still suggested that your machine match the recommended spec. If it doesn't, well, it may still work (if it's only slightly older) but it also may not be the optimal experience. Does that make sense?

LordChilde
Honored Guest
Way behind the curve if you think a 2k resolution is a big selling point. As a consumer (who wants to watch videos as well as gaming) I'll only purchase VR with a resolution of 4k or more. Even with 1440x2560 the pixels are still visible, so I'll not even consider the Rift.

Whatever the VR merits of 22M, a 5k res is hugely seductive.