cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

VizionVR
Rising Star
"LordChilde" wrote:
Way behind the curve if you think a 2k resolution is a big selling point. As a consumer (who wants to watch videos as well as gaming) I'll only purchase VR with a resolution of 4k or more. Even with 1440x2560 the pixels are still visible, so I'll not even consider the Rift.

Whatever the VR merits of 22M, a 5k res is hugely seductive.

Thanks for sharing, and enjoy zero VR until reality catches up with your expectations.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

LordChilde
Honored Guest
"vizionvr" wrote:
enjoy zero VR until reality catches up with your expectations.

My expectations should be met sometime next year. Though I'm impatient for next year to be this year, I think I can prevent myself from burning a hole in my pocket - forking out more dosh - for something that'll soon be made redundant by rivals greater ambitions. Anyway, until then I can always strap a phone to my face, or watch with delight the disassociation of sub-atomic particles - aka pixels - before my very eyes on the DK2.

VizionVR
Rising Star
I definitely understand your position, but am glad there are those not willing to wait, myself included. Not sure what the market would look like if commercial VR had to wait because we all decided to hold on to our cash for the next generation. Makes me wonder if VR would ever be born at all.

As a fan of VR in general I want to see it grow, so I, along with a few hundred thousand others will seed the general market with our monetary support, helping to ensure that we'll all have something better next year, and the year after that... 😄
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

KBK
Protege
The line is not 'yolo', but that we only die once, we live every day. The exact opposite of the idiocy stated in the idea of YOLO...

In that, we can sit and waste away the living stuff doing what we desire to do.

In my case, I'm the perennial early adopter. First in line to pay for the special order unit that was ordered 6 months before it was available.

With limited funds, in the given situation, then things take a different curve.

I opted out of the DK2, and am waiting for the consumer version. Although, I did buy two DK1 units. It was never a funds issue, it was more along the lines of - busy with other things.

The problem with higher resolution will be one of addressing the given pixel matrix in a forthright manner (understatement) and that waits for Moore's law and associated friends.

This will probably not be surpassed for about 2 more years, it is predicted (by this person). There are a few tricks that can be done to speed that process up, as the question and answer on that one is multifaceted, not singular.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
Any news about a pre-ordering date? 🙂

wiliamtel
Honored Guest
"kalec84" wrote:

No news, is good news? 😄 Sadly, I've heard nothing.

pedrw
Expert Protege
"wiliamtel" wrote:
"kalec84" wrote:

No news, is good news? 😄 Sadly, I've heard nothing.

Only at the end of the year. Probably along with the HTC pre-sales!
I do not understand the logic of this sales marketing! :shock:
Just missing the pre-sale Gear vr also start at the end of the year! :shock:

Malkmus1979
Explorer
Probably at Connect.

Crystalmyst
Honored Guest
For those saying they're waiting for 4k VR before they'd even consider it, what GPU do you have? And what do you expect to use for said gaming?
Remember, it's not the same as monitor gaming, where only the camera moves. Your head does. Current specs of the CV1 requires 90FPS for low-persistence to match the 90hz refresh rate.

I highly doubt even the best GPUs next year will be able to handle 4k gaming >= 90FPS beyond low-specs, considering it'd also be the latest gen of games using all the latest graphical tricks.

Heck, look at Witcher 3. That completely destroyed everyone's gpus and that's just on a monitor! I doubt even a Titan could've gotten 90FPS on low settings at launch. Maybe now that the performance has been fixed, sure. But I highly doubt people will be forking over thousands on GPUs just to use your VR headset.

I expect to see higher refresh rate and higher quality lenses/screens over any sort of large resolution change.
4k is big. It is really really big.
DK2 Order: Date: Apr 2, 2014 08:55 PM PDT Status: STILL LOVING IT PC Build: Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1600MHz) ASUS NVIDIA GTX 970 (STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D

pedrw
Expert Protege
"I ask how he has applied that pivotal lesson to his leadership at Oculus. I’m expecting another pop-ready answer, but instead, a defusing silence follows. Of course he’s not stumped, so what is this? Carmack inhales, flashes a quick smile, then replies: “We say we’re going to accomplish a whole heck of a lot this year, and others will say there is no way we can. Well, maybe. But I know we’re going to get more done than people think is possible.

http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d ... hn-carmack