cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black noise-- Standard Shader Unity 5 issues

bauervision
Honored Guest
In every one of my projects for Gear VR, I get these black dots, they look like some sort of banding artifact, over all of my surfaces. They extend away from the camera and get less and less apparent as they proceed into the distance.

They also only show up in lit areas of the scene. If there is a shadow on the ground, these dots vanish. If light is hitting a surface, they show up.

I've turned off GI, I've turned it on. I have changed just about setting I can find and I am at a loss as to what is causing this artifact to appear.

There is no way I can show this to our clients.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm using the latest Unity build

UPDATE:SOLVED

So it had to do with Pixel Light Count being set to 1.

Setting it to zero got rid of the black dots, and gave me back Forward rendering.
15 REPLIES 15

bauervision
Honored Guest
So far it seems as though having an actual Directional Light plugged into the Sun parameter under the Environmental Lighting dialog is what is causing some of the issue.

Setting it back to None, the black dots are gone from my main terrain model, but they still exist on other models.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Is there any way you can take a screenshot of the issue?

Also, I assume you're on Unity. Which version of Unity and which SDK are you using?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

bauervision
Honored Guest
I would love to figure out a way of getting a screenshot, but as of right now, I have no idea how to get one from the headset.

Latest build of Unity, 5.1.2f1

Android SDK 24.3.3

bauervision
Honored Guest
Upon further investigation, it appears that if I switch the shaders back to Legacy, the black dots go away completely.

So there is something with using the Standard shader that GearVR isn't happy about.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, I've heard of shader issues on Unity 5. You're not the first one to run into this.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

bauervision
Honored Guest
So Legacy doesn't really solve it either. So far the only shader I can use to get rid of the issue is Legacy/Diffuse Fast.

If the shader can receive a shadow (Diffuse Fast does not), black dots everywhere.

mallmagician
Expert Protege
If you plug a usb keyboard into the charging port on the S6 gearvr, using an on the go cable (otg), THEN plug the S6 into the gvr, you should be able to screenshot by just hitting print screen on the keyboard.

bauervision
Honored Guest
I don't have the S6

StudioMax
Honored Guest
I had the same problem. In my case it was caused by the export of my geometry from sketchup.
'Export 2-sided faces' was on for everything. It only should be on for transparant (glass) materials.