New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Half-Life 2 (official) Rift support

Comments

• LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    You have to install the Half-Life VR mod to get Hydra support.
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • GheistGheist Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey guys,

after a few hours, I managed to see HL2 on the Oculus. I created an autoconfig and added some launch options.
    To get it startet I have to set the DK2 as my main monitor. The SteamVR is not shown stereoskopic on the Rift but I can manage to start HL2 (beta of course), which is then stereoskopic. Once ingame, I can not move my head. I looked on reddit and read all the pages in this thread but I cannot activate headtracking. I switched between the different aim options and also tried replugging the USB, and all vr_ orders in the ingame console.

Please, can anyone help me? I'd love to play HL2 again in VR.
  • ryanyth wrote:
    Can anyone help me here?
    I've set up my SteamVR and Half-Life exactly as listed in this page:
    http://www.roadtovr.com/how-to-enable-o ... lity-mode/

When i run HL2, i can see the words but no images, just a black screen.
    Starting the game also show only black screen but i can hear G-man with subtitles.

I understand the solution to this would be to set my Rift as primary monitor and
    when i do that, HL2 together with words and images does show up, but...they're
    completely misaligned. I can close 1 eye and see it clearly, but even then the position
    is completely off. Its sort of like watching a video while Cross-Eyed.

Oh yea i've also tried running HL2 via the VR Steam menu but problem persists.
    In fact, for some reason, currently Steam VR doesn't show the words or menu anymore,
    i just hear the water sound and the blue water background. It used to work before.

I have absolutely no problems running Quake2VR, Duke3DVR, Euro Truck Sim 2, Minecrift
    and various other VR demos.

Anyone also facing the same issue as me?

I've followed the same steps, and I"ve got the same problem. I'm using DirectX 9+ according to what the steam client is telling me. Anyone got a solution for this?

Thanks!
  • donkaradiablodonkaradiablo Posts: 310
    Hiro Protagonist
    I don't know what sdk version, gfx card driver version, steamVR version and hl2 version work together anymore. Not even attempting to get this running again until the next sdk update.
    Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines
    the input solution that could have been
    ideas
    Revolutionize the way we interact with...
    Change the world...
    Community...
    BJsryuo.gif
  • KyleOculiKyleOculi Posts: 3
    I'm able to run HL2 in VR mode successfully on Mac (10.9.5) with my DK2; however, I am unable to initiate head tracking. Each time the game loads, I receive an error that vrserver is unresponsive. I have tried creating a mac user admin with less than 5 characters but this hasn't worked. Tracking works just fine with the OculusConfigUtility demo. Below is a very brief error report.

Fri Jun 12 03:42:14 2015 UTC - VR server (v1433987865) starting up with config=/var/dmladmin/Library/Application Support/Steam/config
    Fri Jun 12 03:42:14 2015 UTC - Load Config from /var/dmladmin/Library/Application Support/Steam/config/steamvr.cfg
    Fri Jun 12 03:42:14 2015 UTC - Active HMD set to oculus.20883Y05GQAN
    Fri Jun 12 03:42:14 2015 UTC - oculus: [From Service] Lost 4 IMU samples: 6004 2 6

Fri Jun 12 03:42:14 2015 UTC - Error on Release(): Not the lock owner: /MTX/VR_dmladmin_c8f0638
    Fri Jun 12 03:42:15 2015 UTC - Error on Release(): Not the lock owner: /MTX/VR_dmladmin_c8f0638 (this repeats several hundred times, followed by the next line below)

Fri Jun 12 03:43:31 2015 UTC - Socket closed
    Fri Jun 12 03:43:31 2015 UTC - Unable to read message from socket
    Fri Jun 12 03:43:31 2015 UTC - Lost IPC connection
    Fri Jun 12 03:43:31 2015 UTC - VR server shutting down
    Fri Jun 12 03:43:31 2015 UTC - Listener thread ending

Any ideas what "Not the lock owner" might be referencing?
  • jasonbaz77jasonbaz77 Posts: 14
    Any idea what the Hell happened? This worked for me since the beginning then it stopped working completely. I've tried re-installing everything etc.
  • ZunfixZunfix Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    HL2 vr and/or steamVR got updated. The setup is now a little different. Add -vr to the launch options, start the game in 2d, then Activate Virtual Reality in the HL menu, it then appears in the rift, in 3D. Or use the developer console in HL (enable it in options, press tilde, type activate vr, enter.

Or start it in 3D from steamVR, if that still works.

Lots of motion blur/smearing in game, wasn't there previously.
  • Lurch666Lurch666 Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    Still doesn't work for me.I can put it into vr mode and activate virtual reality but on the rift I just get the menu-nothing in the background.If I start a game I can see my health and ammo but nothing else and there's no headtracking.
  • jngdwejngdwe Posts: 566
    Art3mis
    I keep expecting an update to drop that fixes the annoying judder in HL2. Where is a fix? This has been a problem for almost the entire time that the DK2 has been out.
  • rlabellerlabelle Posts: 215
    Art3mis
    edited January 2016
    Here is a quick video I made of my 6 year old niece making an instructional video of HL2VR Mod 1.4 with Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra. It is hilarious and really showcases the amazing VR experience that this mod brings.

Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1
    FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave
    Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28
  • KangelosKangelos Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    I get a lot of judder in hl2.
    I have the game on steam, no mods or anything.
    I get 200+ fps ingame and i cannot find a way to
    play without judder.
    Tried almost everything (i guess) in command live.
    Even if i lock the fps to 76 (75) i get judder.
    Vsync not working.
    Using a phenom 2 1100t , 4gb ram and an r9 280x.
    Any help?
    Art3mis
    Kangelos wrote:
    I get a lot of judder in hl2.
    I have the game on steam, no mods or anything.
    I get 200+ fps ingame and i cannot find a way to
    play without judder.
    Tried almost everything (i guess) in command live.
    Even if i lock the fps to 76 (75) i get judder.
    Vsync not working.
    Using a phenom 2 1100t , 4gb ram and an r9 280x.
    Any help?

This problem is very common in HL2 with the DK2, and has existed for quite a while. I doubt Valve has any plans to fix it soon.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks!
    At least i will give it a rest for now...
    Hopefully they fix it and add support for the latest runtime.
    Hiro Protagonist
    HL2 Update mod works fine (for me) with Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.1 and nvidia 353.30, with todays SteamVR update (didn't try it before with those drivers). I've switched to extended mode and started "Virtual Reality Mode" for Steam (listed under view). Then started HL2 Update from there.

I have -console as launch option for the game and the following in the autoexec.cfg:

vr_translation_limit 100
    bind v vr_reset_home_pos
    fps_max 76
    bind "Z" vr_cycle_aim_move_mode

One more important thing, my desktop was at 75hz.
    ideas
    Change the world...
    Community...
    BJsryuo.gif
    Art3mis
    HL2 Update mod works fine (for me) with Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.1 and nvidia 353.30, with todays SteamVR update (didn't try it before with those drivers). I've switched to extended mode and started "Virtual Reality Mode" for Steam (listed under view). Then started HL2 Update from there.

I have -console as launch option for the game and the following in the autoexec.cfg:

vr_translation_limit 100
    bind v vr_reset_home_pos
    fps_max 76
    bind "Z" vr_cycle_aim_move_mode

One more important thing, my desktop was at 75hz.

I will have to give this a try some time. It is possible for my to force 75Hz, though my screen doesn't like it.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Your desktop resolution does not have to be the same as your in-game resolution. If your screen works fine at [email protected], go for that one.
    ideas
    Change the world...
    Community...
    BJsryuo.gif
  • Hi,
    I played HL2 a few weeks ago on my DK2, worked like a charm, loved the decoupled aiming.

Today I wanted to show it to a friend and could no longer get it to work.
    I read here and on other sites that there was some kind of VR update either for steam or HL2 which interferes with the DK2 compatibility.

At first I tried the "standard" HL2 with beta updates opt in. When I activated VR in the video options and restarted the game, I saw the button for VR, but couldn't click it.

After that I tried Half-Life VR. When trying to activate VR (either button or console command) i got either error 301 or 1000.

Than I read here, that Half-Life Update still worked in VR so I downloaded that. If I try to start it from Steam VR, I can hear the sound, but can't see anything (neither on monitor nor on the Rift).

Can somebody help me get it working again?

First I tried it with SDK 6.0.1, didn't work. Read somewhere 6.0 screwed extended mode.
    Installed SDK 4.4, didn't work.

Thanks in advance.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Your desktop resolution does not have to be the same as your in-game resolution. If your screen works fine at [email protected], go for that one.
    And use extended mode with SDK 6.0.1. That's what worked for me.

DeepEcho (UE4 I guess) is one of my favorite demos and the performance is considerably higher with Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.1 and nvidia 353.30. It also doesn't seem to give as bad judder as before when the frame rate is around 65-75. HL2 Update mod is no different. I feel like it's kinda working better now.
    ideas
    Change the world...
    Community...
    BJsryuo.gif
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    I've not played this for a while so updated to Runtime 6.0.1 and installed the game from fresh. Its runs as it did when I first tried it with slight smearing. I doubt Valve want to fix this if they're working on Vive titles.

I actually prefer the locked target as in Alien Isolation. Lets hope people get the choice when the Vive is released and an update applied.

Game running with an AMD 7950 and latest beta drivers.
  • ZunfixZunfix Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    just been playing it, it's fine again now.
  • JoewaJoewa Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Anyone else having problems trying to VR in HL2 with the new runtime? Can't get it to activate at all.
  • Joewa wrote:
    Anyone else having problems trying to VR in HL2 with the new runtime? Can't get it to activate at all.
    Me too..istalled HL2 today. HL2 trying to start in VR mode...but nothing changes.
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    Looks like they're gearing up for Vive.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I found a workaround to play hl2 in win 10 + runtime 0.7.
    Check and tell me if it works for you.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=26417
  • cogentcogent Posts: 40
    NerveGear
    Kangelos wrote:
    I found a workaround to play hl2 in win 10 + runtime 0.7.
    Check and tell me if it works for you.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=26417

Does not work for me.
    But I found another solution to get HLVR running again.
    I have downgrade Steam VR to Steam VR beta version 446847085.
    Now it works again with runtime 0.6. Maybe this will also work on runtime 0.7 or 0.8.
  • rlabellerlabelle Posts: 215
    Art3mis
    rlabelle wrote:
    Here is a quick video I made of my 6 year old niece making an instructional video of HL2VR Mod 1.4 with Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra. It is hilarious and really showcases the amazing VR experience that this mod brings.

If anyone has any problems with Steam VR suddenly not working with Oculus 0.8, try setting steam.exe to run as administrator. I couldn't get any games to work with Steam VR, as soon as ran as administrator they all worked flawlessly. Don't know if this is a common problem but could be a simple fix for some.
    Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1
    FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave
    Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28
    NerveGear
    I will try it with runtime 0.8 again.
    At the moment I am using runtime 0.6 and downgraded SteamVR beta version v1446847085.
    This combination works great.

The last days I played a little bit around with it and found also the source code.
    Trying to get it working on other mods, on some of them with success.

Here some Videos:
    MINERVA Metastasis, Rock 24 and HL2 Update mod work very well in VR and also using Razer Hydra (after some changes).
    http://www.cogent.myds.me/HL2-MINERVA_VR.aspx

Others have some issues but seems to be compatible, need some more changes in source code.
    For example FIREFIGHT RELOADED or Synergy mod, both should works in VR with Hydras, code needs some more "love".
    http://www.cogent.myds.me/HL2FR-VR_Videos.aspx
    http://www.cogent.myds.me/HL2VR-cp_Videos
  • Can someone help.

I try to run this game in VR, but I don't get VR to actiate in the game.

It only activate tracker but does not even work.

I am new to oculus rift and I feel kind of lost.

Runtime 0.8 , Win 10, R9 290 with latest betadriver.

Do I need to apply mod to half life or something else missing?

Try to run admin mode no change.
    NerveGear
    You need:
    - OR runtime 0.6 installed
    - SteamVR beta installed (but not the latest, you need to use SteamVR v1446847085)

- Start SteamVR (ignore the error that appears by clicking ok)
    - Go to Start Options for HL2 and write "-vr -refresh 75 -freq 75 -console"
    - Start HL2VR, activate VR if not already done. Write "fps_max 75" into the console. Close console and play.

There seems to be also a way to play it with runtime 0.8 using Virtual Desktop.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3kmyvs/half_life_2_workaround_for_win_10_runtime_07/
    But this one does not work very well for me, some lag in head tracking.
    NerveGear
    It seems most of the mods for HL2 are working in VR and can be played with Hydra.
    Already tried some mods and there are some great mods out there.
    Yesterday I tried HL2 Research and Development mod.
    Makes fun and is great in VR. Hope Steam keeps this working for the new HMD's and SDK's in the future.
    This mod is to test your skills without any weapons, except the Gravity Gun, and the Bugbait. Shows a unique set of challenges and puzzles, and how you can fight enemies without being armed!

Video of normal version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODQmy4m4rSQ

Video of VR version with Razer Hydra:
    http://www.cogent.myds.me/HL2-R_and_D_VR.aspx
    Game starts @ 0:20 in VR. Intro has some graphical issues but then it's fine.