cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 screen goes black after a while with "direct to driver"

LordJuanlo
Protege
EDIT: SOLVED, it turned out to be a faulty HDMI cable

As far as I know, I'm the only one having this problem. I already have a case opened with Oculus support, but I want to find out if there are more people with this issue (case #106813, if cyberealty wants to ask them).

My DK2 screen goes black when playing games or demos, even the Oculus Scene from the Oculus Runtime App. It usually takes between 5 and 10 minutes, but it always happens using the 0.7 runtime and nVidia 355.83 and 355.84 drivers. First time it happened in Windows 10, so to make sure it wasn't an OS problem, I installed Windows 8.1 on the same computer in a different partition, so now I can dual boot both, and I can reproduce the problem in both partitions. It's a completely clean OS install with all Windows Update patches, chipset drivers, GPU drivers, DirectX, Oculus Runtime and the neccesary C++ runtimes.

All VR apps start fine and run fine on the Rift, I can play for a while, but the DK2 screen turns black after some minutes. When that happens, the mirror screen starts crawling and the CPU usage goes down to 1% while it goes to low speed mode (around 1.2 GHz), the same behaviour than sitting on Windows desktop with no 3D apps launched. The DK2 light goes from blue to orange. If I launch a new VR app it starts fine, but again it goes black after a while, usually faster than before (1 minute or less). I've tested it with Doom 3, Dirt Rally, Ethan Carter and even the Oculus Scene from the runtime.

Under Windows 10 I can't try older nVidia drivers because they won't work with the 0.7 runtime, but under Windows 8.1, downgrading to 355.60 drivers, which don't support Gameworks VR and "direct to driver", make my DK2 runs flawlessly, I can play for hours with no problems at all. Using 355.84 also makes the problem happen in Windows 8.1.

I've sent the OVR service logs to Oculus support and they couldn't find any problems on it, so I'm guessing that there *might* be a problem with "direct to driver" mode on nVidia drivers under certain system configurations. My computer specs are the following:

- Asus Rampage IV Formula (Intel X79)
- Intel i7-3930K (hexa-core)
- 32 GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 Mhz (4x8 Mb quad channel)
- MSI GeForce 980 TI
- Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1 TB
- 1000W PSU
- 4K Crosswind monitor (display port)

I've tried to set my main monitor to 1080P and removed all unnecesary USB devices, but it didn't help. Everything is clocked at default speeds, and the system is completely stable. I've had the DK1 and the DK2 on this computer with no issues until the arrival of 0.7 runtime and the "direct to driver" mode. I've tried both the Intel USB 2.0 ports and the ASMedia USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard and the problem remains. The only way to have no problems is using Windows 8.1 with older nVidia drivers, where it's always rock solid.

Based on my previous experience as AMD driver betatester, the only think I can think of if some kind of incompatibility between "direct to driver" mode and my computer. I already suffered a nasty bug on AMD drivers that only happened on X79 motherboards with multiple cards and monitors. Thanks to the help of the comunity, we helped AMD to squash it, so if that happened in the past... why couldn't be happening again?

Anyone else here with Intel X79 platform? Any problems with "direct to driver" mode on nVidia cards?
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
29 REPLIES 29

LordJuanlo
Protege
Actually, the driver posted by Cybereality is newer than the WHQL, it may be worth a try. I'll report back.

cybereality
Grand Champion
As far as I know, you should be using the driver on the link I posted. I'll find out if anything has changed.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

LordJuanlo
Protege
Installed 356.04 beta, same result than before... the DK2 screen still goes black after some minutes... 😞

beatet
Honored Guest
I have a similar problem.
Yesterday I upgraded to the new nvidia drivers 356.04 (from 355.84 which work very good for me) and suddenly dk2 stopped working, the led is orange when I´m in the show demo scene so the screen is black and the mirrored screen is very laggy (less tan 10fps).
I´ve tried a clean intallation, installing first oculus runtime, stopping the service and then installing nvidia drivers, rebooting... and the problem is still there.

LordJuanlo
Protege
Today I've trying to stay longer, restarting Oculus apps once and again, and I'm starting to get errors from Oculus Config tool, they show up when I'm on Windows desktop. I'm attaching the exception report and minidump. Even though the report says OS is Windows 8, I'm under Windows 10, I don't know why it isn't identifying the OS version.

LordJuanlo
Protege
Here's the minidump. By the way, a reboot stopped the crashes and the dumps, but not the black screen.

LordJuanlo
Protege
And now a deadlock report while playing Albino Lullaby on Windows 10, it was generated around 5 minutes before the DK2 screen went black

axelat
Honored Guest
I have exactly the same problem, the HMD turns black during games/demos after 3-10 Minutes, the sound output continues. After restarting the game (without Windows reboot) the HMD is working again, but shows blinking black bars at the left edge of the display. I have to reboot OS to fix the problem.
The problem occurs in different games and demos.

Update: The graphics and cpu cores stay at full load, after the hmd screen turns black.

Windows 10, Clean Install,
V 0.7.0.0 Runtime,
NVIDIA's Windows driver version 356.04 (released 09-22-15) for GameWorks VR,
Core I3570K
Asus P8-Z77
Geforce GTX 770

LordJuanlo
Protege
"axelat" wrote:
Update: The graphics and cpu cores stay at full load, after the hmd screen turns black.

The same happens to me know since I installed 356.04 driver. With 355.84, CPU usage went to 0% when the screen turned black, but now it stays. Also, the mirror window showed very low frames per second, but after installing 356.04 it completely freezes, although I still can hear the game sounds.

jhordies
Honored Guest
Hi all,

Exactly the same problem here. We use the DK2 with project cars on two motion platforms for a few month now. Everything was working ok until we switched to 0.6 and afterwards to 0.7.

We have the following problems on a regular basis :
- partial black flickering on the right screen (I switched to geforce 356.04 driver this morning on one of the platform and have not experienced this yet ... crossing fingers)
- DK2 switch off after 5-15 minutes (random) and we either have to restart the game or the computer.

The problem for us is that we are using our motion platform based setup on events and team building related activities and we cannot rely on it anymore ...

Here are the machines specification :

Machine 1:
Project cars v4.x
Windows 7 pro 64
v 0.7.0 Runtime
nvidia driver version 356.04 (from this morning 28/09/2015)
GTX 760
Core I7 4770 3.4 Ghz
8Gb RAM
Motherboard Gigabyte H97N

Machine 2:
Project cars v4.x
Windows 7 pro 64
v 0.6.0.1 Runtime
nvidia driver version 355.98
GTX 960
Core I7 4770 3.4 Ghz
16Gb RAM
Motherboard Gigabyte H97N

I hope someone will find a workaround ...

Thanks