New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Comments

• CrystalmystCrystalmyst Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Besides, VR is already suffering incredibly (all VR, not just Oculus) from being too exclusive.
    A few hundred dollar pricetag on a single peripheral is far too much for so many people. And that's assuming they have the graphical capability of running it (which many consumers won't! Heck, even developers are complaining about such high specs, and they're the ones with a fiscal investment into the platform).

We're in an age where you can divide the gaming audience with a toothpick: Those that will wait for a Steam sale to get the $0.30 games (which, hilariously is worth less than the virtual "Cards" they produce), and those that will queue up for a game on release day;
    Those that buy the cheap, innovate Nintendo console, and those that will go for the power house PS4/XBO.
    Those that will buy the $1 mobile games and drop them the next day, and those that will spend $100 on a new 3DS game.

VR is already targeting only the minority of consumers by providing a costly peripheral for those than want a "Richer" experience. It's an exclusive, and as such excludes people.
    As all heads of successful start ups will tell you, this is the worst possible thing to do for breaking something new into a market. You want to be as inclusive as you can at first.

So this is why they have driven themselves between a rock and a hard place: Provide the best experience in the most accessible way.
    This means making decisions about design, hardware limits, software limits, and marketing.
    They need hype and a good experience so that we, as early adopters will buy it in troves, increasing demand, dropping supply, forcing supply to push back. For us to show our friends and family, in the hopes that in a few years it'll be more accessible to them too.

But again, that means that it needs to get into people's hands. Us early adopters are few and far between. They need to hit as many of us as possible, or else they'll get taken over by cheaper alternatives (Cardboard anyone?).

I think they've made a beautiful compromise. With the addition of the Direct Driver Mode, it's become almost plug 'n' play. With the introduction of two screens it accommodates far more face/eye shapes. With 2k resolution, they make text readable and reduce the "screen door" effect to a (supposed) minimum, while still keeping it accessible to those with graphics cards a few years old (by the time of release).

A 4k version right now would mean that it would not only limit the already small market of "early adopters of PC peripherals with large wallets" down to "early adopters of pc peripherals with extremely large wallets or 1%er GPUs", but because of that effectively allow other competition with a smaller requirement to roll all over them.
    Sure, you can run a product by it's exclusivity (Apple anyone?), but that's hard enough to carve out. Companies that do that need a good run of miracles to keep that up.

This is by far the safer, yet still innovative path. Thumbs up Oculus.
    DK2 Order:
    Date: Apr 2, 2014 08:55 PM PDT

PC Build:
    Intel i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz
    8GB DDR3 (2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1600MHz)
    ASUS NVIDIA GTX 970 (STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5)
    Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,161
    Wintermute
    Amen, thumb up Oculus (and I kept one for you Crystalmyst).

VR need to reach this first step and go further. If success is there with this first launch, the market will be know, and VR Companies will be able to make it grow by proposing, in a near future, several type of devices, different qualities and prices (resolution, frame rate, FOV, etc.) like currently with video cards, monitors, etc., and every customers will be happy with the device they could offer.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  GTX1080 OC 10%, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

• ZandilZandil Posts: 977
    3Jane
    In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift

What happened to the many ? only one's I know of so far is " Edge of no where " " EvE Valkyrie " and one other that i forgot the name of, did i miss other announcements ?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 977
    3Jane

I hope there are some more AAA studios coming on board soon
  • Mr-TMr-T Posts: 2
    cant wait..
  • DyrtDyrt Posts: 3
    My pc upgrades are all ordered im pumped
  • MrMonkeybatMrMonkeybat Posts: 640
    Brain Burst
    For those saying they're waiting for 4k VR before they'd even consider it, what GPU do you have? And what do you expect to use for said gaming?
    Remember, it's not the same as monitor gaming, where only the camera moves. Your head does. Current specs of the CV1 requires 90FPS for low-persistence to match the 90hz refresh rate.

I highly doubt even the best GPUs next year will be able to handle 4k gaming >= 90FPS beyond low-specs, considering it'd also be the latest gen of games using all the latest graphical tricks.

Heck, look at Witcher 3. That completely destroyed everyone's gpus and that's just on a monitor! I doubt even a Titan could've gotten 90FPS on low settings at launch. Maybe now that the performance has been fixed, sure. But I highly doubt people will be forking over thousands on GPUs just to use your VR headset.

I expect to see higher refresh rate and higher quality lenses/screens over any sort of large resolution change.
    4k is big. It is really really big.

The size of the render buffer is an entire different matter and will vary depending on the intensity of the scene, but separate text layers can be made much more readably, low polly GearVR ports and virtual theaters and desktops will be able to make full use of the pixels also. No matter how small the render buffer the highest res screen possible will do the distortion smoother with less aliasing. The distortion for the output buffer takes little GPU power these days a cellphone can do it for a 1440p screen, any GPU card with two DisplayPorts can run a 2kx2k per eye 120hz HMD screens. Screen resolution should not be confused with render buffer resolution in VR.

That said I am not one of those people who will skip the first generation of consumer HMDs if the resolution does not increase. But if such a 8 megapixel 120hz HMD with all the expected features was announced for sometime in 2016 that would be the one I would likely choose.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 4,179 Valuable Player
    Too many variables to say one way or another when it comes to waiting for the next version, but I am on the side that says that's silly and people just need to learn that we're just getting into something new that hasn't be fully realized yet.

Now, if someone wants to wait for the next release that will sure will have higher resolution, then go a head. I did when looking at the DK2. I am waiting for the CV1 release just simply because I didn't want to mess around with all the problems with the first release of a device. I knew WELL before hand that there would be problems.

Don't get me wrong either, CV1 will have problems as well. Maybe not first batch, but some batch down the road will be bad and it'll cause a small panic until it is fix. Not that I blame Oculus or anything ~ but until you actually try something ~ it's hard to know where problems are and where to fix the problems. Could be lens, screens, plastic, smells, and etc that all could go wrong first batch of these things.

Even knowing those problems, it wont stop me from ordering a CV1 (unless you know there is some really major problem) as I want to be in a more life like environment, but I am sure aware there will be problems. I just have to make sure I don't run into any real major brick walls :)

As for the resolution, meh ~ wait if you don't feel like it's enough. Oculus is doing a good job balancing the resolution and the SDE. Just be warn, I've seen other higher resolution devices that don't try and balance it out and they have REALLY shitty resolution, so try not to be trick when looking at specs alone. I've seen so many people be trick by higher numbers - you simply can't explain to them there is more to a story then they care to understand ~ that by the end they simply give up for no reason at all.

A good test of this: What's better:
    Intel -I3
    4GB of ram
    $525

Intel-I3
    6GB of ram
    $499

Depending on how you answer ~ you will fall into one of the three groups of understand that I place people in. Some will get it ~ others will be close ~ and others will fail to understand at all.
  • vangel76vangel76 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Will there be an option to disable monitor mirror globally? I think this may squeeze some performance out of the rift system. At least simplify sync issues between the 90 Hz Rift and the 60 Hz monitor for the graphics-subsystem.
    I have some 0.7 updated games/demos which now are mirroring and getting inferior performance compared to the =<0.6 versions, which ran in extended (I switched my monitor to 1280x1020 to get 75 Hz sync with DK2) or Direct Mode without mirror.
  • ​The question on my mind is about the Dev Kit Version vs Consumer Version of the Oculus Rift... I've seen a lot of people using the Dev Kit to play games like Outlast, Alien Isolation and Skyrim....

I understand it's not ideal to play games that are not specifically developed for VR, but will you be allowed to play some of your Current / Old First Person Games on the Consumer Version...?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer this question for me..., Because I can't really find a solid answer on it =/
  • antsin3dantsin3d Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    You'll be able to use it with games that are patched to support it, or use some 3rd party tools to force VR control. Some games work great like this, some will make you yak. Most newer games that are suitable to VR seem to have some support tho, so that's nice. IMO racing games are the gold standard for VR experiences.
    Jack_Frost wrote:
    ​The question on my mind is about the Dev Kit Version vs Consumer Version of the Oculus Rift... I've seen a lot of people using the Dev Kit to play games like Outlast, Alien Isolation and Skyrim....

I understand it's not ideal to play games that are not specifically developed for VR, but will you be allowed to play some of your Current / Old First Person Games on the Consumer Version...?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer this question for me..., Because I can't really find a solid answer on it =/
  • MrMonkeybatMrMonkeybat Posts: 640
    Brain Burst
    vangel76 wrote:
    Will there be an option to disable monitor mirror globally? I think this may squeeze some performance out of the rift system. At least simplify sync issues between the 90 Hz Rift and the 60 Hz monitor for the graphics-subsystem.
    I have some 0.7 updated games/demos which now are mirroring and getting inferior performance compared to the =<0.6 versions, which ran in extended (I switched my monitor to 1280x1020 to get 75 Hz sync with DK2) or Direct Mode without mirror.

CV and consumer software that runs on it should work in Direct mode only thanks to driver support from the GPU makers.
  • MatexMatex Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I'm super hyped for cv1. I've never had it on my head. I hope it fits better then my DK2.
    Wintermute
    Some improvements from DK2 seems really good:

Lighter
    Upper part is solid
    Easy to put on your head (like a baseball cap)
    Cable is on the side and don't move up your head
    Hardware IPD can be changed using a slider
    Lens Sweet Spot is far bigger
    Lens are bigger and stay sharp even when eyes not centered
    Made to be glasses compatible
    Better screens resolution and quality
    No more SDE (or at least really light)
    Don't have to mess with headphone and its cable as they are included (and removable if you wish)
    Have a (hidden) micro!
    Larger FOV for the camera tracking system
    <include here all things I could have forget>

My hope is CV1 will be night and day compared to DK2.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

• FokkerFaceFokkerFace Posts: 167
    Hiro Protagonist
    YoLolo69 wrote:
    My hope is ...

And my hope is I don't miss pre-order announcement by couple of days and due to that have to wait few extra months for shipment, as happened to me with DK2.

I really want to pay for the preorder, get the shipment estimate, and come back to the forum to complain for a delay or look for set-up advices.
    Are we missing pre-order because all the negative threads about delayed shipment on DK2, so Oculus decided to prepare enough stock to avoid shipment lag? I mean - looks like Rift was finalized few months ago, and nothing really holds them back from starting selling, right? I would prefer getting my christmas gift on christmas, not after.
    DK2 sold
    Rift - preordered, shipment estimate March 28. cancelled.
    MSI X99A RAIDER, i7-5820K + Corsair H110i GTX, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64 GB (4x16GB Quad Channel), AMD Radeon R9 Fury X, SSD RAID0 (2x256GB Sata3 A-Data SX900), OCZ ZX 850W 80+
  • Hi i ordered the dk2 on Oct 9th and i wanted to make sure that the dk2 are still being shipped. I posted my topic here since I can't create a topic since I'm a new user.

Order Number: IK-0700487

If not i need to cancel my order. Because I'm not paying for it and never recieve it.

Thanks,

Kris
  • FokkerFaceFokkerFace Posts: 167
    Hiro Protagonist
    i wanted to make sure that the dk2 are still being shipped

They are being shipped to some countries. If you were able to select your country as a delivery address - DK2 is being shipped to that country. DK2s are not shipped to SOME countries, other are still able to buy them.
    DK2 sold
    Rift - preordered, shipment estimate March 28. cancelled.
    MSI X99A RAIDER, i7-5820K + Corsair H110i GTX, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64 GB (4x16GB Quad Channel), AMD Radeon R9 Fury X, SSD RAID0 (2x256GB Sata3 A-Data SX900), OCZ ZX 850W 80+
  • FokkerFace wrote:
    i wanted to make sure that the dk2 are still being shipped

They are being shipped to some countries. If you were able to select your country as a delivery address - DK2 is being shipped to that country. DK2s are not shipped to SOME countries, other are still able to buy them.

Ok cool thanks. I know that the final release is right around the corner and I know it's a little late in the game to acquire one, I just wanted verification so thanks lol :D
    Yes, we're still shipping DK2s to certain countries. If it becomes sold-out, you would not be able to purchase it.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Ruszek83Ruszek83 Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    FokkerFace wrote:
    I would prefer getting my christmas gift on christmas, not after.

Rift CV1 will be shipping Q1 2016 so you won't be getting it before Christmass anyway :(
  • This may have been answered already but this thread is pretty big!

Will the consumer Oculus Rift set be open to using the old (I say old, but more like current) set of demos / games we have at the moment. For example if I buy a consumer rift, can I play stuff like Senza Peso, UE4 Rollercoaster and The Chair?

Or will the consumer device be closed off?

Thanks.
  • Ruszek83Ruszek83 Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    As cybereality wrote in some other post...
    Demo/game develeopers will have to update the games to the new SDK/Runtime allegedly 1.0 when Rift CV1 will release.
    Other then that there should be no restrictions.
  • BelsethBelseth Posts: 15
    I'm curious what the backlog is like? Money is tight right now and I can't set aside resources to preorder. Just not sure if you don't preorder how long the wait may be? Sometimes there's enough to go around but even with a preorder at times it can be months. Just hope it's not a 3 to 6 month wait. I know with the Tesla Powerwall a month after they opened up preorders the waiting list was backed up a year. Just bad timing for me right now.
    There is no backlog, as pre-orders have not been opened yet.
  • There is no backlog, as pre-orders have not been opened yet.

Any hint as to when they will be?
    [email protected] / ASUS X99-E WS / CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800 /SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series 256GB (SSD) / CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme / EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80 PLUS GOLD / MSI Radeon R9 390X
  • LKostyraLKostyra Posts: 263
    yahknow1 wrote:
    There is no backlog, as pre-orders have not been opened yet.

Any hint as to when they will be?
    I highly doubt you will get an answer for that question. ;) However, assuming DK2s are sold out, I would advise you to repeatedly track whatever happens on Oculus site. My guess is within a month something will come up, but this is just pure guess.
    DK1: Received
    DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received
    CV1: (Jan 6) Pending
    Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 574
    Trinity
    Ehm... i'm curious... i mean, shouldn't game devs be able to have "hands on" the CV1 "before" the public...?
    You know... to make games...?
    Or is the DK2 to be used to make games for the CV1?
    Wintermute
    My guess is some companies, making big AAA games should have already the CV1. But in any case, that's the idea : DK2 is the development kit to develop game for the CV1, and if programmers did it well, the translation from DK2 to CV1 should be kind of smooth, with probably some light tuning, mainly to be sure game adapt to new resolution and framerate. So day one you will have some big titles probably, and few times later (few weeks/months) other titles will be launched.

• castanacastana Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Hi All,
    Sorry for my Ignorance but I am New in Oculus Rift Topics.
    I am interested in making Games with Unity and Oculus and I would like to ask you What will it be its new price?
    Thanks for your time
    Alejandro Castan