cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iceland

Verge
Honored Guest
IcelandDialog.png
Iceland is an experience for the Oculus Rift. You gently fly over an environment (created by the very talented Philipp Schmidt)) filled with lots of interesting things to discover. This experience is a ride, so you don’t need a controller, keyboard, hydra or mind control helmet to enjoy it.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy!

All your input would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

If you would like to watch it before downloading (although you will get spoilers ;)) user Valez has been so kind to upload a "fly through" video on youtube.

http://jacal.foliohd.com

Music
Mirada - Tranquil Reflection
http://mirada.bandcamp.com/track/tranquil-reflection
65 REPLIES 65

Verge
Honored Guest
Thanks for all the great reactions people! It also seems that this whole nausea thing is something which most of you don't experience. I guess that's a good thing. 😉

@Valez
Thank you for recording this wonderful video! Feel free to post it anywhere you like. 😄

@michaelgood
One of your first demos, awesome! Yeah, the pop-in has to do with LOD stages. What you see here is lower quality versions of models being swapped out for better quality versions. I can tweak this a little further, but you will need a better machine to run it smoothly then. Maybe another setting besides "Riftastic!", "Rificulous!" :lol:

@drash
And thank you for sharing yours drash! My mouth was wide open, while exploring Titans of Space. 😮

@WormSlayer
Volcanic areas you say? Hmm, I guess that is pretty Icelandic isn't it? 😉 *scribbles something on a digital piece of paper*

qndzio
Honored Guest
Aside from few graphical glitches, it's simply perfect. So calming and meditative... I definitely want more experiences like this. If you will add a cockpit or something like that in the next version, please also add option to disable it. I love the feeling of being the pure... observation.
Also, I can't wait for Unigine Valley being rifted (it's announced).
God, i feel so calm now 🙂
Thank you.

mrgreen72
Superstar
Fucking beautiful!

This screams for an audio track. I guess we could always play our own music in the background but adding environmental sounds would make it even more amazing.

I love these "sit back and relax" demos. It's great to demo the Rift. Anyone can try it and they don't get out of the experience feeling like shit.

Great work man!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you kidding me?

This is the demo scene provided with the "Big Environment Pack 2". Even though you get full rights with purchasing it from the Unity Asset Store, you shouldn't take credit for the art work.

Here is the official video featuring the exact same scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Mf1T3_rhELQ#t=168s

Magro28
Honored Guest
Can someone upload it to a mirror? (like mega) Drop box link is disabled..

Verge
Honored Guest
Who ever said I take credit for the artwork skyworxx? :?

I must admit that this was something I thought about before releasing, because I didn't (and apparently still don't) know what the protocol is in this case. I searched the Unity forums and asked some friends in the industry about how you should give credit to assets you buy. The answers I got where mostly in the "you don't have to give credit, but it's nice to do it" category. So I decided to add a credits section to the readme.txt file in the download archive in which I credit Philipp Schmidt personally for the environment with a link to his portfolio (in which this scene is visible on the front page). I also gave him a public thank you on Twitter, which you can see here.

https://twitter.com/vergevr/status/353155879547305985

And I also contacted him personally to show him the video Valez made, which he thought was awesome (and asked him about the possibility of creating a volcano model in the near future, which he is planning to 😉 ). Finally, this pack is so well known in the Unity community (one of the top sold environment packs on the Asset Store) that I thought most people would know about it. But ok, in hindsight, I maybe should have also mentioned it prominently in my opening post too. Not everybody reads readme files I suppose, so I'm truly sorry about that. I will edit my first post to reflect this.

Some people create music, some people create 3d models, some people create textures and I personally am a programmer so I create code. As a programmer I am forced to buy the assets that I use, the stuff that everyone sees and hears, elsewhere. Sometimes this will be a readily available art pack (like this one) and sometimes I will have to hire someone to create those assets for me. My intention is to create videodreams aka virtual rides for the Rift. And for my first ride I wanted to focus on the technical side of things. Writing all the code in order to set up a ride, trigger events during your ride and learning how to use the oculus camera setup and the pitfalls of developing on the Rift. After this was written I needed a beautiful environment to build this ride on. So I went shopping and found this perfect artwork pack. As it turned out, this pack already had a great demo level to build this ride in. It only took me a couple of days to setup everything and after a week of tweaking and usage (and getting nauseas) I decided that the best way to develop it further was to release it publicly. I enjoyed riding it, and I needed (and still need) more input. We can all learn from each other here. It's all new territory.

I intend to release more videodreams in the future. And most of them will use a combination of various 3d models, characters, music, sound effects and textures created by other people. But having a harddrive full of awesome assets still doesn't mean you have a great Oculus Rift experience ready to rumble. A great ride also has to be carefully created, tweaked and optimized with love. And although code isn't visible (unless you are Neo I guess) it still needs to be written.

Sorry for this wall of text everyone, but it is important to me that everyone knows my true intensions here. I intend to create many beautiful things for this great new community of VR enthousiast in the future. And I don't want my reputation stained at the very first release I do here. If you think I did something truly wrong, please put it under the "beginners error" section. :oops: And I hope you can still enjoy flying through Iceland, while I will do my best to make the experience even more awesome.

@Magro28
Yeah, apparently Dropbox has a download limit. I will look into this today.

Verge
Honored Guest
Ok, I upgraded my free Dropbox account to a Pro account, so now the download should work again. 🙂

Magro28
Honored Guest
"Verge" wrote:
Ok, I upgraded my free Dropbox account to a Pro account, so now the download should work again. 🙂
Thanks! Downloading now. 🙂

EDIT: Great demo. Definitly one of my favorites!

Verge
Honored Guest
Have a great videodream Magro28. 😉

enigma642
Honored Guest
Great demo! I showed this to my parents today and we all agreed it was one of our favorite Rift apps.