VR Pinball (early alpha demo) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR Pinball (early alpha demo)

tmektmek Posts: 103
Hiro Protagonist
edited October 2015 in Showcase
Reddit:
http://reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3n4yfo

Video:

In addition to being a full VR pinball simulator the main focus will be:

* Easy to use editor for creating and sharing virtual pinball machines.
* Plugable API providing complete access to all lights, displays, switches and solenoids for any machine.

The API will enable wiring a pinball machine to scripted game logic, emulators (such as PinMAME), input controllers and rumble devices.

I'm trying to get a few people to try out the demo and gauge how much interest there is.

It's not quite a playable "game" yet but it should give you an idea of how it would play and look in VR. My dev machine has a GTX 760 and runs a solid 75 fps on the DK2. It should be playable on a normal monitor as well.

One thing that could be an issue is limited resolution. However consider CV1 and Vive will have somewhat better resolution than the DK2. I also think there's a lot that can be done with contrast and lighting to improve on that.

Demo available at:

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B-PPb1vA ... t=download

https://mega.nz/#!rIwVFTBS!nPrLgVrwTbQM ... yo0yj6aBhs

Requires Oculus Runtime 0.7. Will add mirrors if needed.

An in-game TV displays instructions and controls.

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Looks very interesting.

EDIT: I just played the demo. Tons of potential.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • tmektmek Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    Looks very interesting.

EDIT: I just played the demo. Tons of potential.

Thank you! That means a lot! :D I hadn't had many people say they tried it or received much feedback so I was starting to feel a bit disheartened.
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,846
    Neo
    Just got a chance to try this. Background: I'm only a casual pinball machine fan.

Rock solid here, first UE4 demo in a long time to do so. Everything in the room looks great, and I love the approach you took with the TV (and the temporary channel numbers!). The mannequin approach is extremely reassurring re: height calibration. Pinball physics are solid. Sounds are delightful. I saw your other posts on reddit about different types of pinball board lighting and that all sounds really cool.

Great job, can't wait to see more of this tmek!
  • tmektmek Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    drash wrote:
    I love the approach you took with the TV (and the temporary channel numbers!).

Thanks Drash! The TV channel switching is quite "charmingly goofy" if I do say so myself. When I first tested it, I chuckled pretty loudly. :lol:
    drash wrote:
    The mannequin approach is extremely reassurring re: height calibration.

You nailed it on the head with the word "reassuring". Since I modeled the pinball machines and parts with very precise measurements I wanted to ensure the scale of everything felt as accurate as possible. With profile display and mannequin I can feel confident the IPD is properly set and the eyes are at exactly the right height.

It led me to discovering the player collision capsule "floats" above the floor by an average of 2.15 centimeters. The physics system adds this as a buffer to prevent unnecessary collisions as the player slides across the floor. Eye height is based off the origin of that capsule so the eye height is usually 2.15 centimeters higher than it should be.

Funny side story: Once after demoing VR pinball to my girlfriend I forgot her Oculus profile was left active. Later during testing I kept scratching my head, exclaiming "Why am I so short!?".
  • Lurch666Lurch666 Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just got around to trying this.
    Best bit of VR I've played for a while.
    Rock solid frame-rate (GTX980).Looks fantastic.I enjoyed couching near the table and playing it just below my eye level.

Great potential-a bunch of pinball tables and arcade games in the same room is my VR heaven.
  • g4cg4c Posts: 330
    Don't have DK2 to play it on, only GVR, but man... the video looks impressive! 8-)
    Android VR Developer. https://twitter.com/SiliconDroid
  • EchoZAEchoZA Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Downloading to test, looks interesting from the video ;)