cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Runtime 0.7 on Boot Camp

AdamL288
Honored Guest
Hi all,

I've been a big follower of Oculus for a while, and have dabbled in creating my own VR content for a few eyars now using Windows 7 on a boot camp (iMac mid 2011). While the specs aren't entirely up to speed now it has still functioned fine except for the most high end demos.

I upgraded the runtime to version 0.7 today, expecting to lose support for all apps developed in the previous versions and lower. That's to be expected. What I didn't expect however is to find out after the install that apparently this new runtime doesn't even seem to support Boot Camp anymore - something to do with not having compatible drivers?

I am incredibly frustrated at this turn of events as not only has this put an iron wall on my personal development projects but has turned my perfectly working Oculus into a brick incapable of running anything. I know Oculus never intended to support Mac in the first place, but Boot Camp is essentially the same as native Windows except the inability to easily change/upgrade the graphics card. No-where on the 0.7 runtime download page did it state that this would not work on Boot Camp and this is a major problem for us existing Mac users.

I would like to know if there's any fix at all, if there's one or the works, or if not, how to downgrade to the older runtime. Even if I have to miss out on new content while I save up for a separate Windows PC, I'd rather be able to use my Oculus in the meantime.

Thanks,
Adam
14 REPLIES 14

glaze
Honored Guest
I'm running 0.7 fine on a Boot Camp Windows 10 installation with NVIDIA on a MacBook Pro.

AdamL288
Honored Guest
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately my iMac uses AMD and the only driver packages to support the new runtime apparently don't work on Bootcamp. I thought the laptops used AMD cards too?

glaze
Honored Guest
"Adaml288" wrote:
I thought the laptops used AMD cards too?

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Apple seems to switch between AMD and NVIDIA quite often.

enzedda
Explorer
"glaze" wrote:
I'm running 0.7 fine on a Boot Camp Windows 10 installation with NVIDIA on a MacBook Pro.

Maybe a bit OT, but I's sure be interested in seeing how many others have .7 running on boot camp?

Hey, Glaze, what type of "Pro" are you using and did you have any initial issues with it?

Can you develop on it? Can you run Unity ?

Are there any games that you'd like but can't play?

Thanks....

just working with some guys who use Macs in their studio but can't get the joy you're having!
Maybe some hints?
Ta.

glaze
Honored Guest
"enzedda" wrote:
"glaze" wrote:

Hey, Glaze, what type of "Pro" are you using and did you have any initial issues with it?

Thanks....

just working with some guys who use Macs in their studio but can't get the joy you're having!
Maybe some hints?
Ta.

Late 2013 15" high-end model with i7, NVIDIA 750M, integrated Intel and 16 GiB RAM. Excellent machine. Developing is just fine, I use Visual Studio on Windows and Xcode on OS X. The only problem with Rift is that it takes all of my USB ports so I can't plug in a gamepad unless I get a hub. I use Unity and Unreal on the machine but haven't made VR development for them yet, just for my own engine. Many games are perfectly playable, like Alien: Isolation. Tuscany demo runs at solid 75 Hz but Epic's VR demos stutter.

AdamL288
Honored Guest
Thanks for the replies guys - I have received an official reply from Oculus saying they no longer plan on supporting boot camp in the future, which means a no-go for all of us with Macs unless you happen to have an Nvidia graphics card, I believe.

I have found a less than perfect solution - if you go to download the latest runtime and change the version number in the URL to 0.6 or 0.5 you can download older versions so it should still work with older games and builds:

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/ ... r_Windows/
https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/ ... r_Windows/

Obviously this means all newer content won't be compatible but I'm just happy I don't have an unusable device during the time I plan to buy a PC and the consumer version.

enzedda
Explorer
"glaze" wrote:
"enzedda" wrote:
"glaze" wrote:

Thanks....

Maybe some hints?
Ta.

Late 2013 15" high-end model with i7, NVIDIA 750M, integrated Intel and 16 GiB RAM. Excellent machine. Developing is just fine, I use Visual Studio on Windows and Xcode on OS X. The only problem with Rift is that it takes all of my USB ports so I can't plug in a gamepad unless I get a hub. I use Unity and Unreal on the machine but haven't made VR development for them yet, just for my own engine. Many games are perfectly playable, like Alien: Isolation. Tuscany demo runs at solid 75 Hz but Epic's VR demos stutter.

Thanks, Glaze.
But still no joy. Similar machines to your with two of them fitted out with 750M's
The other three have D700, similar to the W9000 Firepro.

However, no matter what one does and how one tries the outcome is nil.
Nvidia or otherwise, the result is frustratingly close but no go.

Would LOVE to know how on earth you got yours going?

Can you list a step by step walkthrough?

This is with .7 isn't it or have I misread?
Thanks.

EDIT. Glaze, It seems that Bootcamp is not working with Oculus on both the macbook pro and the MacPro either.
Is it a bootcamp fault that you've overcome?
Thanks

glaze
Honored Guest
"enzedda" wrote:

It seems that Bootcamp is not working with Oculus on both the macbook pro and the MacPro either.
Thanks

I didn't have any problems with Boot Camp. If I recall correctly, when 0.7 was released, I uninstalled 0.6 runtime, updated NVIDIA driver to 355.84, rebooted, unplugged Rift, installed 0.7, rebooted and replugged Rift and it just worked. I don't remember having any problems.

enzedda
Explorer
"glaze" wrote:
"enzedda" wrote:

It seems that Bootcamp is not working with Oculus on both the macbook pro and the MacPro either.
Thanks

I didn't have any problems with Boot Camp. If I recall correctly, when 0.7 was released, I uninstalled 0.6 runtime, updated NVIDIA driver to 355.84, rebooted, unplugged Rift, installed 0.7, rebooted and replugged Rift and it just worked. I don't remember having any problems.

Well thanks, Glaze, but no luck at all with .7.

They are throwing this at me : https://www.vg247.com/2015/06/17/oculus ... u-e3-2015/

Basically:

“It’s not going to work on any Macbook that exists or is known to exist in the near future,” Luckey said

Sigh. I guess he knows.

God only knows how you got it working.
Maybe contact Oculus and set them right?
But thanks, Glaze for your hints etc.