cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

vangel76
Honored Guest
Will there be an option to disable monitor mirror globally? I think this may squeeze some performance out of the rift system. At least simplify sync issues between the 90 Hz Rift and the 60 Hz monitor for the graphics-subsystem.
I have some 0.7 updated games/demos which now are mirroring and getting inferior performance compared to the =<0.6 versions, which ran in extended (I switched my monitor to 1280x1020 to get 75 Hz sync with DK2) or Direct Mode without mirror.

Jack_Frost
Explorer
​The question on my mind is about the Dev Kit Version vs Consumer Version of the Oculus Rift... I've seen a lot of people using the Dev Kit to play games like Outlast, Alien Isolation and Skyrim....

I understand it's not ideal to play games that are not specifically developed for VR, but will you be allowed to play some of your Current / Old First Person Games on the Consumer Version...?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer this question for me..., Because I can't really find a solid answer on it =/

antsin3d
Honored Guest
You'll be able to use it with games that are patched to support it, or use some 3rd party tools to force VR control. Some games work great like this, some will make you yak. Most newer games that are suitable to VR seem to have some support tho, so that's nice. IMO racing games are the gold standard for VR experiences.

"Jack_Frost" wrote:
​The question on my mind is about the Dev Kit Version vs Consumer Version of the Oculus Rift... I've seen a lot of people using the Dev Kit to play games like Outlast, Alien Isolation and Skyrim....

I understand it's not ideal to play games that are not specifically developed for VR, but will you be allowed to play some of your Current / Old First Person Games on the Consumer Version...?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer this question for me..., Because I can't really find a solid answer on it =/

MrMonkeybat
Explorer
"vangel76" wrote:
Will there be an option to disable monitor mirror globally? I think this may squeeze some performance out of the rift system. At least simplify sync issues between the 90 Hz Rift and the 60 Hz monitor for the graphics-subsystem.
I have some 0.7 updated games/demos which now are mirroring and getting inferior performance compared to the =<0.6 versions, which ran in extended (I switched my monitor to 1280x1020 to get 75 Hz sync with DK2) or Direct Mode without mirror.

CV and consumer software that runs on it should work in Direct mode only thanks to driver support from the GPU makers.

Matex
Honored Guest
I'm super hyped for cv1. I've never had it on my head. I hope it fits better then my DK2.

YoLolo69
Trustee
Some improvements from DK2 seems really good:

Lighter
Upper part is solid
Easy to put on your head (like a baseball cap)
Cable is on the side and don't move up your head
Hardware IPD can be changed using a slider
Lens Sweet Spot is far bigger
Lens are bigger and stay sharp even when eyes not centered
Made to be glasses compatible
Better screens resolution and quality
No more SDE (or at least really light)
Don't have to mess with headphone and its cable as they are included (and removable if you wish)
Have a (hidden) micro!
Larger FOV for the camera tracking system
<include here all things I could have forget>

My hope is CV1 will be night and day compared to DK2.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

FokkerFace
Explorer
"YoLolo69" wrote:

My hope is ...

And my hope is I don't miss pre-order announcement by couple of days and due to that have to wait few extra months for shipment, as happened to me with DK2.

I really want to pay for the preorder, get the shipment estimate, and come back to the forum to complain for a delay or look for set-up advices.
Are we missing pre-order because all the negative threads about delayed shipment on DK2, so Oculus decided to prepare enough stock to avoid shipment lag? I mean - looks like Rift was finalized few months ago, and nothing really holds them back from starting selling, right? I would prefer getting my christmas gift on christmas, not after.
DK2 sold Rift - preordered, shipment estimate March 28. cancelled. MSI X99A RAIDER, i7-5820K + Corsair H110i GTX, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64 GB (4x16GB Quad Channel), AMD Radeon R9 Fury X, SSD RAID0 (2x256GB Sata3 A-Data SX900), OCZ ZX 850W 80+

FoXRiDeRz289
Honored Guest
Hi i ordered the dk2 on Oct 9th and i wanted to make sure that the dk2 are still being shipped. I posted my topic here since I can't create a topic since I'm a new user.

Order Number: IK-0700487

If not i need to cancel my order. Because I'm not paying for it and never recieve it.

Thanks,

Kris

FokkerFace
Explorer
"FoXRiDeRz289" wrote:
i wanted to make sure that the dk2 are still being shipped

They are being shipped to some countries. If you were able to select your country as a delivery address - DK2 is being shipped to that country. DK2s are not shipped to SOME countries, other are still able to buy them.
DK2 sold Rift - preordered, shipment estimate March 28. cancelled. MSI X99A RAIDER, i7-5820K + Corsair H110i GTX, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64 GB (4x16GB Quad Channel), AMD Radeon R9 Fury X, SSD RAID0 (2x256GB Sata3 A-Data SX900), OCZ ZX 850W 80+

FoXRiDeRz289
Honored Guest
"FokkerFace" wrote:
"FoXRiDeRz289" wrote:
i wanted to make sure that the dk2 are still being shipped

They are being shipped to some countries. If you were able to select your country as a delivery address - DK2 is being shipped to that country. DK2s are not shipped to SOME countries, other are still able to buy them.

Ok cool thanks. I know that the final release is right around the corner and I know it's a little late in the game to acquire one, I just wanted verification so thanks lol 😄