cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Oculus app still THAT bad?

MasterElwood
Protege
The Oculus smartphone app is a crappy experience. A REALLY crappy experience.

But why is that? Itś 10 month since the first version - and there are updates all the time. But still: if i use the app for more than 2 minutes, i am looking like this: http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/ ... 338228.jpg

2 examples:

1. UPDATES. Lez look how we have to make updates...

1. Scroll thru all the games in the library till you find one with an update
2. Leave the library and change to the store
3. Scroll to all the games in the library till you find it there and look whats in the update
4. Leave the store and go back to the library
5. Find the game again - then make the update

6. Repeat steps 1-5 for EVERY GAME that needs an update

7. Repeat steps 1-6 for Experiences and Apps

ARE. YOU. KIDDING. ME ??? Its not that hard. Give us a "Updates" section with all the apps waiting for updates in one place, and show us whats in the update not only in the store, but in the library (and the update-section) also.

2. CLUTTER

For the love of god, please let us hide or remove apps we don´t want to see! Everything we ever installed is in our library - and no way to hide or remove it. We don´t need to see apps we deinstalled because we don't like them. And we don´t need to see demos of apps when we installed the real things already. Half of my library is made of apps i don´t want anymore.

I understand that apps we bought are in there (even when we de-installed them) - but PLEASE let us at least remove or hide "free" apps like demos.

I LOOOVE my gear VR - but we are just a few weeks away from consumer release - and this app is NOT ready for primetime...
20 REPLIES 20

HomerS66
Expert Protege
Yep i agree and wrote that on Twitter aswell, that we need an update section listing all apps with a pending update (which should also show what is in that update), app search and favourites.
I read somewhere that they are working on an update when the consumer version launches, hopefully with these features included.

Also since some app updates and new apps seem to be visible only with a newer oculus phone app/home version, which doesnt get pushed to all people at the same time, there should be also a button which searches for a Oculus app update aswell.

And it would be nice if they could fix the uninstalling/reinstalling issue which often occurs with new app updates. If they cant fix this there should be atleast an explanation why the install failed like not enough space available or uninstall/reinstall necessary and not just an update failed pop up. To be consumer for the average Joe ready who doesnt know this issue when they come from regular Android/iOS and dont know what to do.

SpiderCenturion
Honored Guest
I'm not particularly fond of the apartment looking environment either. I'd rather have a completely black background with more of a 3D effect on the icons (could make them look like they are objects hovering in front of you. I just feel like someone's potentially first experience with VR should be a bit better than that...

Wow, slightly shocked - i love the home screen - i'm still as blown away as i was the first time i put my Gear VR on.

"Also since some app updates and new apps seem to be visible only with a newer oculus phone app/home version, which doesnt get pushed to all people at the same time, there should be also a button which searches for a Oculus app update aswell."

I agree with that.

And yes, i remember us asking for a visible update notification some time ago:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=26496&p=296615&hilit=updates#p296615
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

cybereality
Grand Champion
Good feedback. I will share with the team.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

MasterElwood
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
Good feedback. I will share with the team.

Awesome.

munkondi
Explorer
+1 to the original poster, all very true
happy to hear the team will be taking the points on board, love the Gear VR too but the Oculus app is certainly in need of some major UI restructuring

another point I'd like to make is that the payment method is a total faff, I don't really want to have to register a brand new payment method to buy a couple of inexpensive apps from the store, it's totally put me off buying things and probably many others too - please consider offering a simple option to pay through your Google Account or PayPal within the app

SpiderCenturion
Honored Guest
"andyring" wrote:
Wow, slightly shocked - i love the home screen - i'm still as blown away as i was the first time i put my Gear VR on.

Just to clarify, I like the color palette and the idea of a modern apartment...I just haven't felt any presence there. Just some items in 3D close to the viewer would probably do the trick, even if it were just a countertop or table. For example, the thing that gives me the most presence in Oculus Cinema is looking over at the seats next to me. Oculus doesn't need to win me over anymore, but just a suggestion for Gear VR as they need to make a big splash when they go public next month.

Yeah i see what you mean.

I've no doubt it will continue to evolve and i agree, CV launch would be a good time.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

clone
Explorer
I also agree with the OP to 100%. All this points are really mandatory functions a "app store! has to have!
I mean is is really that hard to make clickable link to the app description in the library list??
- An "updates" section is a must as the process to find updates now is just ridiculous! :x
- Also a search functions is still missing!
- A possibility to view 360° ingame screenshots would also rock - i mean this is vr content so let us also preview it in vr.
- As the background image for oculus home is only a spherical image (and i suppose it will stay this way because of performance reasons), it would be nice if we could choose the background image from our gallery.
...why so serious?