cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Text readability

saviornt
Protege
If anyone can respond, it would be great. How good is the CV1 for text readability, not just for menus, but say, for papers or news papers spread on a desk?

Are there any practices that I should keep in mind when designing the newspapers, such as font, font-size, etc..?
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG
24 REPLIES 24

Jose
Heroic Explorer
I believe it's about the same as DK2. The CV1 uses dual 1080p screens so the pixel density should be the same as DK2, despite the better optics.

When I tried the CV1 at Oculus Connect, I remember thinking "This looks just as pixelated as my DK2".

Choronzon
Adventurer
"Jose" wrote:
I believe it's about the same as DK2. The CV1 uses dual 1080p screens so the pixel density should be the same as DK2, despite the better optics.

When I tried the CV1 at Oculus Connect, I remember thinking "This looks just as pixelated as my DK2".

We're told that screendoor won't be a problem in the retail Rift, but if you're saying that CV1 is still at dotty as DK2... well.

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
"GableRatchet" wrote:
"Jose" wrote:

We're told that screendoor won't be a problem in the retail Rift, but if you're saying that CV1 is still at dotty as DK2... well.

Screendoor effect (SDE) is improved in current CV1 prototypes shown to public, and will stay that way in the final CV1 version.
Pixel size will stay at the DK2 level, since it's 1080x1200 per eye and DK2 was 960x1080 per eye. Basically the same resolution so the same pixelation.

Pixelation and SDE are two very different things. Text readability will be good enough for small-to-medium fonts. Tiny fonts will have to wait a few years for higher res CV2, CV3 or CV4.
Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.

saviornt
Protege
I wonder if I could submit a sample scene to test.. would hate to do all of the work for it to be unreadable 😕
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

andrewtek
Expert Protege
I have not gotten to try the CV1 yet, but text was pretty legible in the Vive. As a matter of fact, I was surprised to see that SteamVR had adequately legible medium-sized text in my DK2.

"saviornt" wrote:
I wonder if I could submit a sample scene to test.. would hate to do all of the work for it to be unreadable 😕
Will the sample have a "this will scare the pants off you" warning? 😄

drash
Heroic Explorer
Until resolution gets a bit higher up, I'd suggest using thick-ish fonts and feather the edges. This works wonders in DK2 and Gear VR, so I assume this holds for CV1 and perhaps beyond for a while.

Here's a couple slides I had up in my Convrge talk a while back: http://imgur.com/a/05M00
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

DoomWaffle
Explorer
"RonsonPL" wrote:
"GableRatchet" wrote:
"Jose" wrote:

Screendoor effect (SDE) is improved in current CV1 prototypes shown to public, and will stay that way in the final CV1 version.
Pixel size will stay at the DK2 level, since it's 1080x1200 per eye and DK2 was 960x1080 per eye. Basically the same resolution so the same pixelation.

Pixelation and SDE are two very different things. Text readability will be good enough for small-to-medium fonts. Tiny fonts will have to wait a few years for higher res CV2, CV3 or CV4.

Except the difference between 960x1080 and 1080x1200 is 25%

jyoun
Explorer
That extra 25% may go into what they claim to be greater FOV, but either way it is basically the same as DK2.

Reports do say, however, that the visual clarity across the entire screen is noticeably increased. So text that is off axis that appeared blurry in DK2 is improved in CV1.

Choronzon
Adventurer
"RonsonPL" wrote:
Pixelation and SDE are two very different things.

Pixellation might plague compressed Youtube vids, but it's not a problem in the Rift. Surely resolution is intimately connected with SDE – the higher the resolution the greater the pixel density, which reduces screendoor (a resolution of 2560x1440 greatly reduces SDE). There’s hardly any difference between DK2 and CV1, so some sort of blurred effect will mask SDE. But anything not close-up will still be a pain to look at… blurred dots instead of sharply-defined dots.

Text readability?

"Clear text everywhere. Beautiful, crisp text not just in the center. These lenses were custom designed and built for Totem." https://www.vrvana.com/