cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPSSPP VR - PlayStation Portable emulator

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
PPSSPP VR is now released! From the people who brought you Dolphin VR.

PPSSPP VR is a PlayStation Portable emulator for the Oculus Rift that lets you actually be inside PSP games. You are not playing on a virtual handheld or screen, you are inside the virtual world.

Important: do not resize the mirror window while in VR mode! Otherwise the GUI will stop working. I forgot to fix that bug before the release. The window size should be set to 1x. It will still render at full resolution in the Rift.

Don't forget to set the internal resolution to whatever you want, 6x is good for me.

Download:
PPSSPP VR 32bit for SDK 0.6 (recommended)
PPSSPP VR 32bit for SDK 0.7

Games which are good or perfect in VR:
7 Wonders (2D)
Age of Zombies (2D)
Archer Maclean's Mercury / Hydrium (Hg)
ARMORED CORE 3 Portable
Battle Poker (2D)
Beats
Beam 'em Up (2D)
Big Head Snooker
Bleach Heat The Soul 1
Bleach Heat The Soul 2
Bleach Heat The Soul 3
Bleach Heat The Soul 4
Bleach Heat The Soul 5
Bleach Heat The Soul 6
Bleach Heat The Soul 7
Bloons (2D)
BreakQuest (2D)
Bubble Trubble (2D)
BUST A MOVE DELUXE (2D)
BUST A MOVE GHOST (2D)
DEAD OR ALIVE Paradise
Dissidia - Final Fantasy
Dissidia - Final Fantasy Universal Tuning (Japanese)
Dissidia 012 - Final Fantasy Duodecim
Family Guy (Use Europe, ULES00601, if you want culling disabled)
Final Fantasy
James Cameron's AVATAR™: THE GAME
Megaman Powered Up
SHReK the THiRD
Star Trek: Tactical Assault
Sword Art Online Infinity Moment (use the English patch)
Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins
Wipeout Pure

Games which are playable in VR:
300: March to Glory
50 Cent® Bulletproof G Unit Edition
Alien Syndrome
Ape Academy 2
Army of TWO™: The 40th Day (USA, ULUS10472 if you want culling disabled)
Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines
Atari Classics Evolved
Battlezone
BEATERATOR (2D)
BLAZBLUE Portable (2D)
Bleach Soul Carnival (2D)
Bleach Soul Carnival 2 (2D)
Brain Challenge (2D)
Burnout Legends
G-FORCE
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
Gran Turismo
GUN Showdown
KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep
Lemmings
Prince of Persia - Revelations
Star Soldier
Terminator (2D)
Virtua Tennis: World Tour
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2006

Games which work badly in VR
Ace Combat X
Ape Academy
ARMORED CORE LAST RAVEN Portable
ATV Offroad Fury Pro
B-Boy
Call of Duty : Roads to Victory
Cube
GHOST IN THE SHELL STAND ALONE COMPLEX
Hannah Montana: Rock Out The Show
Iron Man 2
METAL GEAR SOLID PEACE WALKER
Monopoly
Star Wars Battlefront II
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Games which are completely unplayable in VR
Activision Hits Remixed
Blast Off
Bomberman Land
Bowling 3D
Daxter
Dynasty Warriors
Eragon
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
LEGO® Batman™: The Videogame
LocoRoco
Ridge Racer 2

Other unlisted games have not been tested, and might work great or terribly. But they won't have default settings or the correct scale until you create game specific settings and adjust them yourself.
179 REPLIES 179

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
I tried few games:
- Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins works, but the camera is way too far, I can barely see what's going on
- Wipeout Pure works nicely
- ARMORED CORE 3 works but there is an annoying "window" in front of you, and everything outside of the window is dark
- Megaman Powered Up works, but the intro i fucked up

The emulation works very fast, but the head tracking is SUPER LAGGY, on a GTX980, which is very strange.
I will try on a different PC, as I suspect the PC I tried has some problem.

Very good so far, I expect better version soon! Keep it up! 8-)

aerosteak
Protege
A small heads up on AMD issues:

Seems like I had the exact same openGL problem on my nvidia laptop (880M): couldn't start any game (even with the rift unplugged). Updating my gpu drivers solved the issue immediately. A better openGL support by the gpu driver, maybe?

Anyway, updating to the latest AMD beta drivers on my R290 desktop computer didn't solve anything.

I also tried the 64bit version of PPSSPP. No crash here, but PPSSPP reboots everytime I try to launch a game (tried with Me & my Katamari, both Wipeout, Ultimate Ghosts n'Goblins, DOA Paradise & Mega Man Powered Up).

If someone's got a fix for these issues, don't hesitate to share it!

And again, great work 2EyeGuy!!!!

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
Tried on a different PC, the head tracking is a little bit smoother than before, but still FAR from being comfortable, is it just me or is it a common thing?

isamu
Explorer
I got super excited until I read this:

Games which are completely unplayable in VR:

Ridge Racer 2

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Is there any hope VR in RR2 can be improved?

coco83
Honored Guest
@RikkTheGaijin
Enable the Async Timewarping in "VR option", it's the "must have option" 😉

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
"coco83" wrote:
@RikkTheGaijin

I did, but nothing changes. ON or OFF makes no difference.
The emu itself runs very fast, but the VR integration needs a lot of work..

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
Sorry, I'm in Perth for the Geert Wilders event, so I haven't been able to respond properly.

"coco83" wrote:
Awesome! After the GameCube, the PSP! Thank you so much! 😄
Wipeout Pulse & Dissidia 012 works great!

Games from the Monster Hunter franchise don't work: the GUI/HUD is working, but 3D graphics are black, sometimes you can see the skybox or isolated elements. If i found a setting to get these games to work i will post it 😉

In Monster Hunter Freedom Unite you can only see the world through the HUD or the distant mountains. UnitsPerMetre should be 100, if I remember correctly, and you can use a trick to make the HUD bigger by setting the Permanent Camera Forward to about 1 metre, and the AimDistance to about 0.2 metres. It's still not right, but it's better.

Wipeout Pulse only sort-of works. There are issues with the background buildings, and when you are selecting the track in the menu there are viewport issues because I haven't implemented viewports yet.

"RikkTheGaijin" wrote:
"coco83" wrote:
@RikkTheGaijin

I did, but nothing changes. ON or OFF makes no difference.
The emu itself runs very fast, but the VR integration needs a lot of work..

Keep in mind that the framerate displayed is the game's framerate, but I am adding extra timewarp frames in synchronous or asynchronous timewarp. You can use the Oculus Config Utility to turn on an overlay that will tell you if you are getting 75 fps of timewarped frames and if you are dropping any frames. If you are only dropping frames while the game loads, you could try using the PPSSPP option to load the whole ISO into RAM.

"isamu" wrote:
Is there any hope VR in RR2 can be improved?

There's always hope. I don't remember what the issue was, but there's no inherent reason why all games can't be made playable eventually.

Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins works, but the camera is way too far, I can barely see what's going on

That shouldn't happen. I set the default settings for that game to move the camera forward. Maybe I made a mistake. What code/region is it? (press triangle on the game in the game list to see info about it).

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
"2EyeGuy" wrote:

Keep in mind that the framerate displayed is the game's framerate, but I am adding extra timewarp frames in synchronous or asynchronous timewarp. You can use the Oculus Config Utility to turn on an overlay that will tell you if you are getting 75 fps of timewarped frames and if you are dropping any frames. If you are only dropping frames while the game loads, you could try using the PPSSPP option to load the whole ISO into RAM.

Maybe I wasn't clear, the games run perfectly smooth. But the head movements are ridiculously slow and laggy, even BEFORE loading a game. As soon as I run the exe and the main menu' pops up in the Rift, moving my head around is terrible, it looks like 5/10 fps.
I tried it on two different PC, one has Win7, GTX980, SDK 0.7, and it's really bad, head tracking is super laggy, 5/10 fps. The other PC has Win10, GTX980, SDK 0.7, and it's a little bit better, the head movement feels like 20/25 fps. but far from being comfortable.
I can run other DK2 games/demos just fine, it's just this emu (as well as the Dolphin VR) that have this problem.

That shouldn't happen. I set the default settings for that game to move the camera forward. Maybe I made a mistake. What code/region is it? (press triangle on the game in the game list to see info about it).

I tried both USA and EUROPE versions, both have the same issue.

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
I tried few more games:

Burnout Legends almost perfect, some minor glitch in the 2D billboard
Gran Turismo almost perfect but ONLY IN THIRD PERSON VIEW. First person view doesn't render the graphic, for some reason.
Soul Calibur Broken Destiny playable, 2D menus are corrupted but usable
Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai 2 playable, 2D menus are glitchy but usable

Tekken Dark Resurrection playable, 2D menus are pixelated, but readable, the framerate is a bit slow
Tekken 6 playable, 2D menus are pixelated, but readable, background graphic is glitchy

Tomb Raider Anniversary playable, but it's not great in VR, also has the dark frame problem like in Armored Core 3
Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2nd barely playable, most of menus are unreadable, gameplay not good for VR

Split Second Velocity glitchy graphic, not really playable
The 3rd Birthday the main view is blocked by a big black rectangle
Iron Man 2 barely playable, the game is crap anyway

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd emulator crashes on load
Silent Hill Shattered Memories game doesn't load

coco83
Honored Guest
"2EyeGuy" wrote:

In Monster Hunter Freedom Unite you can only see the world through the HUD or the distant mountains. UnitsPerMetre should be 100, if I remember correctly, and you can use a trick to make the HUD bigger by setting the Permanent Camera Forward to about 1 metre, and the AimDistance to about 0.2 metres. It's still not right, but it's better.

Thanks for the tips!

@RikkTheGaijin
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd work, here are my settings for Monster Hunter games:
Asynchronous & Synchronous timewarp: on
Render resolution: x6 min, x8 if you have an enough good rig
Disable Near Clipping: on
Scale: 1.00
Before 3D is Background: off
AimDistance: 0.20

Monster Hunter Freedom
UnitsPerMetre 0.30
Permanent Camera Forward: 2.0

Monster Hunter Freedom 2
Didn't work well: you can only see through the shape of background mountains.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
UnitsPerMetre: 600.00
Permanent Camera Forward: 1.0
Interseting thing: in areas n°4 & 5 of Snowy Mountains environement, you can see at 360° (outside of the HUD), while in others areas you can see only throught the HUD.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD
UnitsPerMetre: 650.00
Permanent Camera Forward: 1.0
The landscapes with all theses floatings particles of this version are really magnificent in VR! 😮

With theses settings the HUD is waaay to big to be really usable, but graphics are working well inside the HUD, with a good 3D depth (however things look a little bit small, and if you increase size, a black plane may hide distant things). Also you need to be sitting farther from your positional tracker, otherwise a black plane will hide everything.