cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nausea thread - how do i get used to the rift?

slugger
Honored Guest
hey there,

i read a lot posts about getting vr-sick and nausea from using the rift but also nearly everyone mentioned that it's getting better every day. so ... not for me it seems ... and that's a shame. it also seems this topic isn't very popular even it's probably affecting a lot people.

im having my rift since 3 days now but unfortunatly i really can't use it for longer then a few mins (which makes developing for it pretty hard). even on day 3 after like 5mins of playing half life 2 (which is giving me the best experience so far) i can't use the rift for the rest of the day because im feeling pretty dizzy. i never tried pushing trough it because i know it would make things worse.

standing still and just looking around seems to be ok (more or less), but as soon as i start walking it's like im trying to read a book while sitting in the car (some ppl might understand what i mean).

for now it seems like im making little to no progress in getting my vr-legs. i also thought about buying pills against seasickness but taking pills to use the rift can't be the right way.

does anyone have an idea how to ease this kind of reaction to vr or is there anyone who also got dizzy very fast and can tell how long it took them to get their vr-legs?
176 REPLIES 176

jojon
Honored Guest
"KBK" wrote:

Then the various methods of ameliorating the situation, like head position when initiating and then following through in a movement.

Now there's a creative plan, and quite serendipitous too: Make a every turn a tai no henko excercise, and all will be well. :9

s0uL
Honored Guest
I was getting slight sickness my first 2 days when I was doing disorienting things or playing FPS games with fast walking speeds. I just took frequent breaks and tried to stick to the more mellow demos to ease into it. Playing games that require no manual movement through space helped me get acclimated to the optics, and only then after I was comfortable with that did I go back into the more wild stuff. It seems to be paying off now. Hope you can eventually get comfortable with movement, man.

s0uL
Honored Guest
Proton Pulse was a savior for me. It's such a fun game, a cool visual experience, and requires absolutely no control outside of head movement. If you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend. Even though it won't necessarily train you to react to character movement better, it might help get you more comfortable with being "in the rift" for more than 5 minutes.

darren
Honored Guest
From what I read... The motion sickness happens because of the tempular region and ear balance sensors becoming inconsistent with the visual queues.. Whether or not this is true, before using the Rift I acclimated the neural response of myself to the feeling during the Rift that I am on a big floating chair. When I move the controller, it moves the floating chair, it moves me, and so this way I can understand my visual view in conjunction with the hand motion on the controllers. When I turn my head it's just turning my head, but when I press the controller it's moving the floating chair in space (like in the book "Dune").

If my mind still feels uneasy I reassure it that I am just looking at a screen in front of it, and it makes sense.

Whether or not this has any physiological effect, or if I am just needlessly pontificating, it doesn't matter.

What's more important is I actually have no discomfort using the Rift from the first time. However what's strange is when I removed the Rift (from Rifting one hour or so), the entire world looked strange, and gradually I started to feel sick (like the same nausea feeling from getting dumped by a girl friend). Just thinking about the sickness was enough to make it happen and become worse, so I removed my mind from the subject by distracting with something else (TV or whatever) and very quickly I stopped the feeling. The sick feeling is entirely in the mind very possibly and so you too CAN control it.

What's very important is DO NOT use any pills or to do marijuana as other minority of people have suggested. Your brain is the most important asset. Really the most sophisticated thing in the known universe (other than the inverse itself) and these horrible, scourge on civilization artificial chemical substances are proven to cause loss of control of yourself, irrational stupid dopey behviour and in general you should do NOTHING which hurts your brain or polutes it physically such as a physical chemical or a physical punch or concussion to the head, or oxygen deprivation. They all produce similar consequences!
"Collecting user blood samples is critical for the operation of the device. We have struggled with our ability to communicate our vision about how user blood sample collection is the future of VR gaming." - Microsoft

Pingles
Explorer
I think it's interesting that we have folks who DO get car sick who don't seem to get VR sick.

And others that DON'T get car sick getting VR sickness.

VR sickness seems to be a different animal and may be hard to fight for folks that get it bad.

The last unscientific poll we did (MTBSD) found that most folks had no trouble at all, some had trouble for a while and a small percentage continued to have issues.

I truly think it would be worthwhile to make a VR sickness testing app. An app that gave a menu of different scenarios to try so people could test themselves in different situations. Perhaps it could be used to pinpoint exactly what teh culprit is as far as game environments go. The app could even dump results back to a server to compile information. If you used personal IDs you could even track the effects over time.

Knutsi
Protege
"Pingles" wrote:
I think it's interesting that we have folks who DO get car sick who don't seem to get VR sick. [...] And others that DON'T get car sick getting VR sickness.

There will often be outliers in a dataset. What you want is the general tendency, or the knowledge that the spread is great. Perhaps someone at Oculus have some data to share already..? (:

"Pingles" wrote:
VR sickness seems to be a different animal and may be hard to fight for folks that get it bad.

Based on my very limited research, there have been at least two theories that may relate to this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10052575 I have to confess my experiences in VR tells me that the theory about loss of postural control triggering simulation sickness appears relevant. I feel that the lack of positional tracking is especially uncanny in my case.

"Pingles" wrote:
I truly think it would be worthwhile to make a VR sickness testing app. An app that gave a menu of different scenarios to try so people could test themselves in different situations. Perhaps it could be used to pinpoint exactly what teh culprit is as far as game environments go. The app could even dump results back to a server to compile information. If you used personal IDs you could even track the effects over time.

I agree. Might even help Oculus understand their product better. If someone makes this app, please involve a form inside it (or by email later etc.) which allows correlation with other aspects, like if the person gets sick in a car while reading, doing yoga, gets sick from watching FPS games or movies (Blair Which-project, anyone?), played allot of games etc (:

bigwhopper
Honored Guest
To me it seems whenever i use the 360 Controller for movement, i seem to get a nausea feeling, once i switch over to mouse and keyboard for movement it seems fine.

I am wondering if it is cause the 360 controller turns you around differently than the mouse & keyboard combo does.
Just my impression i got over the last 3 days.

Other than that, have been using it almost 6h a day and no motion / VR sickness.

zaptruder
Protege
You'll become acclimatized to VR eventually.

Things that can ease your transition to VR legs is motion sickness aids.

Ginger is a good solution - but you need to take it an hour or so ahead of time.

Set aside time to feel sick... it can make you kinda unproductive when you do get VR Sick.

This will be significantly less of an issue once the Consumer version is out with translational tracking - and hopefully a longer cable/wireless to let you turn more on the spot.

slugger
Honored Guest
the only pills i would take are "travelpills", i think they simply disable parts of the inner ear balance system which is in charge for dizzyness while riding coasters or long car trips.
they shouldn't cause any harm but on the other hand ... i'm not moving but my brain thinks i am and i'm afraid that these pills won't help at all.

i came up with the idea of changing the cups because i was playing a lot quake with ridiculous fov settings which made me feel a bit dizzy for the first games - so i thought lowering the fov in the rift (by changing the cups) could do the trick.
i tried the b and c cups today and i think the b cups making me able to stay longer in the rift (i'm only trying tuscany for now because the latest version is using the new eye measurement tool and because its slow paced). maybe its just a placebo, the next days will show.

MrGrey1701
Honored Guest
This is one of the things I am really quite worried about while waiting for my rift. I've been waiting since the early 90s for the promise of VR to come true, watching as each generation of gaming advanced to this point from my humble little 8 bit computer, through the Sega Master system and SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, PC gaming and PS3 to the dawn of the PS4 and that other One 😉

Meanwhile, although my mind is ready and willing to embrace the advent of VR for the masses, my body has given up waiting and has succumb to multiple sclerosis. Now I get dizzy very quickly, am car sick whereas I never used to and my special awareness is totally to whack. I used to be able to play games for hours on end but now, depending on the game I can get motion sick within minutes. Yep, I must have been crazy when I placed my order last month :roll:

If there is one thing I have, it's determination to push through it and therefore any and all tips and advice to help minimize motion and VR sickness will be welcomed by me.