cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 Text readability

saviornt
Protege
If anyone can respond, it would be great. How good is the CV1 for text readability, not just for menus, but say, for papers or news papers spread on a desk?

Are there any practices that I should keep in mind when designing the newspapers, such as font, font-size, etc..?
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG
24 REPLIES 24

Choronzon
Adventurer
I think we need to get our definitions sorted - pixellation is not seeing individual pixels, it's a block of pixels, an effect when the digital signal breaks up, or seeing nothing but bathroom-tiles resulting from bad compression.

I have the matt screen protector in the DK2 - makes no difference at all. Of course, when playing games you don't notice screendoor... but it's ATROCIOUS when focusing on anything like watching videos, for instance.

owenwp
Expert Protege
The consumer rift is probably full RGB, which means that the actual number of subpixels is increased by about 80% over the DK2. And even with the same number of subpixels, full RGB handles small details a lot better than pentile.

Alric
Explorer
"mabsey" wrote:
"Alric" wrote:
Comments about resolution do confuse me a bit. I mean CV1 has 25% more pixels than dk2, yet some people basically same "naaa it's basically the same, you can't tell a difference". A 25% increase sounds worthwhile to me, if there had been an option when the dk2 was sold for a higher res version with 25% more pixels I'm pretty sure we would all have bought that one. If my car had 25% more power, I'd sure take that and I know I wouldn't be disappointed and say well its basically the same as before, no difference!

I know we all wanted higher res but lets not forget an increase of 25% is still worthwhile and defiantly better than dk2.

25% whilst it is an improvement, what improvement you see will depend on the Field of View. If they have made the field of View bigger, and the only way of doing that is with the lenses, then you are applying more magnification, and so are magnifying the pixels more lowering the 25% improvement.

With your Car theory above, imagine a bit of dirt on your windscreen that you are looking out, you can see so much sitting in the driver seat. To see more out of the front window, you move closer, and whilst yes you can see more out of the windscreen, that bit of dirt (The Pixel) just got bigger to.

Mabs

Right, okay I totally understand what your saying and I agree but everything I've read seems to suggest that CV1 fov is the same as dk2 which is one of the main reasons they won't give us a number because we will probably all be disappointed. So unless you know something we don't then the extra 25% pixels will give us a nice improvement but hopefully they give us a bit of both, slightly wider fov and a little bit more pixels. That would be best overall experience for the first consumer iteration.

tzuvela
Protege
"owenwp" wrote:
The consumer rift is probably full RGB, which means that the actual number of subpixels is increased by about 80% over the DK2. And even with the same number of subpixels, full RGB handles small details a lot better than pentile.

Not seen a lot about CV1 RGB screen, do you have any valid source?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. Richard Feynman

owenwp
Expert Protege
Oculus isn't saying one way or the other, but it would be pretty shocking if this were not the case. Playstation VR is full RGB even at a higher refresh rate, so the panels exist. And if they chose to stick to pentile there are panels with significantly higher resolution that have been available in high quantity for quite a while now, and used in GearVR.

2160 x 1200 RGB is about the same number of subpixels as the 2560 x 1440 pentile display in the current Samsung phones. The actual electronic element size needs to shrink down a bit because blue OLED subpixels are dimmer than red and green and thus need to be larger to compensate (that's the main reason pentile is used now, to fit varying sized subpixels in a neat grid), but that's exactly the kind of moderate manufacturing improvement you might expect to see in a year. Oculus also stated at the launch of the DK2 that they considered pentile to be undesirable and were looking to go full RGB in the future, along with other targets they have now confirmed achieved like global shutter.

Then there is just how much more clear the image in the CV1 looks.