cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPSSPP VR - PlayStation Portable emulator

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
PPSSPP VR is now released! From the people who brought you Dolphin VR.

PPSSPP VR is a PlayStation Portable emulator for the Oculus Rift that lets you actually be inside PSP games. You are not playing on a virtual handheld or screen, you are inside the virtual world.

Important: do not resize the mirror window while in VR mode! Otherwise the GUI will stop working. I forgot to fix that bug before the release. The window size should be set to 1x. It will still render at full resolution in the Rift.

Don't forget to set the internal resolution to whatever you want, 6x is good for me.

Download:
PPSSPP VR 32bit for SDK 0.6 (recommended)
PPSSPP VR 32bit for SDK 0.7

Games which are good or perfect in VR:
7 Wonders (2D)
Age of Zombies (2D)
Archer Maclean's Mercury / Hydrium (Hg)
ARMORED CORE 3 Portable
Battle Poker (2D)
Beats
Beam 'em Up (2D)
Big Head Snooker
Bleach Heat The Soul 1
Bleach Heat The Soul 2
Bleach Heat The Soul 3
Bleach Heat The Soul 4
Bleach Heat The Soul 5
Bleach Heat The Soul 6
Bleach Heat The Soul 7
Bloons (2D)
BreakQuest (2D)
Bubble Trubble (2D)
BUST A MOVE DELUXE (2D)
BUST A MOVE GHOST (2D)
DEAD OR ALIVE Paradise
Dissidia - Final Fantasy
Dissidia - Final Fantasy Universal Tuning (Japanese)
Dissidia 012 - Final Fantasy Duodecim
Family Guy (Use Europe, ULES00601, if you want culling disabled)
Final Fantasy
James Cameron's AVATAR™: THE GAME
Megaman Powered Up
SHReK the THiRD
Star Trek: Tactical Assault
Sword Art Online Infinity Moment (use the English patch)
Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins
Wipeout Pure

Games which are playable in VR:
300: March to Glory
50 Cent® Bulletproof G Unit Edition
Alien Syndrome
Ape Academy 2
Army of TWO™: The 40th Day (USA, ULUS10472 if you want culling disabled)
Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines
Atari Classics Evolved
Battlezone
BEATERATOR (2D)
BLAZBLUE Portable (2D)
Bleach Soul Carnival (2D)
Bleach Soul Carnival 2 (2D)
Brain Challenge (2D)
Burnout Legends
G-FORCE
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
Gran Turismo
GUN Showdown
KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep
Lemmings
Prince of Persia - Revelations
Star Soldier
Terminator (2D)
Virtua Tennis: World Tour
WWE SmackDown! vs. RAW 2006

Games which work badly in VR
Ace Combat X
Ape Academy
ARMORED CORE LAST RAVEN Portable
ATV Offroad Fury Pro
B-Boy
Call of Duty : Roads to Victory
Cube
GHOST IN THE SHELL STAND ALONE COMPLEX
Hannah Montana: Rock Out The Show
Iron Man 2
METAL GEAR SOLID PEACE WALKER
Monopoly
Star Wars Battlefront II
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Games which are completely unplayable in VR
Activision Hits Remixed
Blast Off
Bomberman Land
Bowling 3D
Daxter
Dynasty Warriors
Eragon
God of War: Chains of Olympus
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
LEGO® Batman™: The Videogame
LocoRoco
Ridge Racer 2

Other unlisted games have not been tested, and might work great or terribly. But they won't have default settings or the correct scale until you create game specific settings and adjust them yourself.
179 REPLIES 179

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
"coco83" wrote:

@RikkTheGaijin
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd work, here are my settings for Monster Hunter games:

No luck for me, I tried two different versions, Japanese and English, the Japanese crashes immediately, the english loads but nothing 3D gets rendered, only 2D menus. 😞
Which version are you using and where did you get it from?

I've also tried Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, but I get the problem you get with Freedom 2, I can only see through the shape of background mountains. :x

I'ts important to note that both games runs perfectly in NON-VR mode, when the Rift is switched off, so it's not an emulation problem, but it's a VR porting issue.

coco83
Honored Guest
@RikkTheGaijin
For monster Hunter 3rd I use the HD (remaster for PS3) japanese version with the english patch, and it works well, but you have to tweak settings to made the HUD huge (beacause you can see only throught the HUD), and sit farther from your Positional tracker in order to move behind the 3D graphics the "black plane that hide everything" (graphics are rendered, but behind this black plane).

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
I've fixed Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (in the next version). The depth buffer was always being cleared to zero, but I changed it to clear based on the direction the game was using for depth comparisons. Hopefully this will fix some other games too.

BTW, if you have a black plane that hides everything, try enabling "before 3d is background".

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
"coco83" wrote:
@RikkTheGaijin
For monster Hunter 3rd I use the HD (remaster for PS3)

PS3??? :?

coco83
Honored Guest
@RikkTheGaijin
Yep, PPSSPP can play HD remaster of PSP games for PS3.

I've tried this cheat code to run the game at 60FPS natively (with asyncTW for "upscale" to 75fps), everything is so smoooother now, but there are some issue: 2D sprite animation and boss fights run at double speed.

@2EyeGuy
Thanks for your amazing work 😄

edit: if i enable "before 3D is background", the black plane is fixed to the HUD in MH3rd, so i can't see anything, and in Unite, i can see only the skybox. If i disable this option, when i sit farther from my positional tracker the black plane move back and i can see the whole area.

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
I forgot to mention that. Yes, PPSSPP can play some PS3 games. That's why there's an option for right analog stick in the controls menu, even though the PSP doesn't have a right analog stick. But only HD remakes of PSP games. I haven't tested them yet though.

Anyway, I fixed the issue with depth buffer clears, so now most Monster Hunter games will probably work. It even helped fix Daxter. It turns out Daxter had a few issues, including that the skybox is much too close.

benplace
Rising Star
I am having the same problem as RikkTheGaijin Plenty of power, GTX980, 16 gb of RAM etc.. Upgraded to 0.8 runtime, newest nvidia VR driver that is recommended, running windows 10. Games emulate perfecct but as soon as I move my head judder galore.

Whicker
Honored Guest
"surray" wrote:
"aerosteak" wrote:
Can't make it work on win7 64bits, AMD R290....

Same issue here but on win10, 0.7 runtime

I am running the same setup as surray. The VR menu works beautifully though the head tracking is a bit jittery for me. I can set everything up but it crashes immeditally when trying to run games.

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
New version 1.1.1-250:

Win32 0.8
Win32 0.7
Win32 0.6

New features: default recenter key (R on keyboard, left trigger on xbox), crashes instead of restarting when not bruteforcing, some depth buffer fixes, game compatibility, and some others.

Compatability changes:

Good:
Chessmaster: The Art of Learning (2D)
LEGO® Indiana Jones™ 2
Persona3 PORTABLE (2D)
SOULCALIBUR: Broken Destiny
Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins

Playable:
Daxter
MONSTER HUNTER FREEDOM UNITE™
Nayuta: Endless Trails (English patch 4.14)
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Tomb Raider : Legend
WipEout® Pulse

Bad:
Danganronpa: Hope's Academy and Despair's Students
Me & My Katamari
Petz® Dogz® Family

Unplayable:
LEGO® Batman™: The Videogame
LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
Silent Hill Origins

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
Alright, installed SDK 0.8 and tried the new version 1.1.1-250, but not many changes for me 😞

PRO
- Ultimate Ghosts'n Goblins now the camera is much closer and the game can be played properly!
- Monster Hunter Freedom Unite now works and it's playable (but it has the annoying dark frame problem as other games)

CONS
- Monster Hunter 3rd HD still doesn't render the graphic. This new version does render SOME 3D items, but when the game starts only 2D menus are visible.
- The 3rd Birthday still have the black box covering the main screen, even with "Before 3D is background" enabled, no difference.
- The problems of the other games I tried are still the same (please refer to my post here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=26990#p301593)

The head movement is still a judder fest, and this new version has increased a LOT the screen flickering, fortunately I don't suffer from epilepsy, otherwise I would be dead by now. :x

Is there a way to take screenshot from the HMD? It would help to show the problems