cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nausea thread - how do i get used to the rift?

slugger
Honored Guest
hey there,

i read a lot posts about getting vr-sick and nausea from using the rift but also nearly everyone mentioned that it's getting better every day. so ... not for me it seems ... and that's a shame. it also seems this topic isn't very popular even it's probably affecting a lot people.

im having my rift since 3 days now but unfortunatly i really can't use it for longer then a few mins (which makes developing for it pretty hard). even on day 3 after like 5mins of playing half life 2 (which is giving me the best experience so far) i can't use the rift for the rest of the day because im feeling pretty dizzy. i never tried pushing trough it because i know it would make things worse.

standing still and just looking around seems to be ok (more or less), but as soon as i start walking it's like im trying to read a book while sitting in the car (some ppl might understand what i mean).

for now it seems like im making little to no progress in getting my vr-legs. i also thought about buying pills against seasickness but taking pills to use the rift can't be the right way.

does anyone have an idea how to ease this kind of reaction to vr or is there anyone who also got dizzy very fast and can tell how long it took them to get their vr-legs?
176 REPLIES 176

slugger
Honored Guest
i can definitly break it down to movement in vr. proton pulse and vr cinema give me nearly no dizzyness. it's the wrong sense of movement which is trying to turn my stomach inside out.
next i'll try using a fan or something to see if i can get a better body and positionawareness while moving in vr.
something which is also pretty weird and causing dizzyness very fast is walking into the direction you're looking. tuscany for example. walk straight forward with w and then look to the left to move left: its like walking sideways and it feels so wrong that it's causing instant dizzyness for me.

darren
Honored Guest
"slugger" wrote:
i can definitly break it down to movement in vr. proton pulse and vr cinema give me nearly no dizzyness. it's the wrong sense of movement which is trying to turn my stomach inside out.
next i'll try using a fan or something to see if i can get a better body and positionawareness while moving in vr.
something which is also pretty weird and causing dizzyness very fast is walking into the direction you're looking. tuscany for example. walk straight forward with w and then look to the left to move left: its like walking sideways and it feels so wrong that it's causing instant dizzyness for me.

What if you imagine that you are in a flying chair and controlling the chair with the thumbsticks (gamepad). I do this and I have no dizziness whatsoever.

You really need to meditate on this, tell your mind what's going on. You're just looking at a screen. When you press buttons your chair flies around.
"Collecting user blood samples is critical for the operation of the device. We have struggled with our ability to communicate our vision about how user blood sample collection is the future of VR gaming." - Microsoft

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I'm in the process of digging up the Sim-Sickness documentation created for the early simulators, and for the early VR platforms and the work created - going to place this into a database - though will have to evaluate how best to circulate this as there is an issue of liability and responsibility (will need to speak with OVR on how they want to handle this).

Fundamentally, we need all sickness sufferers to chart their symptoms and following issues:
- symptoms
- duration
- eyesight
- content
etc.,

Would recommend keeping a diary of the exposure and issues - especially if they negate, and what cause the worst effects. Remember we will be moving onto a V2.2 devkit at some point and eventually a V1.1 CSK system, so would be important to chart what happens when we move over.

I would also not be too keen to see self medication - as mentioned in other discussions - as all pharmacy comes with some side-effects, and also pharmaculture is a difficult process and what might work for some wont work for others - and we need to evaluate the best approach; the issue of 5-hour marathons is also reckless.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

geekmaster
Protege
"darren" wrote:
You really need to meditate on this, tell your mind what's going on. You're just looking at a screen. When you press buttons your chair flies around.

What has worked for me in certain games is to imagine that I am sitting still and the controller moves the world around me. No Vestibulo-Ocular Dysfunction that way, until you forget...

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Mind Training (or mind over matter) regarding motion sickness is worth evaluating (Google it):
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2010/08/09/2977608.htm
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

slugger
Honored Guest
"darren" wrote:
"slugger" wrote:

What if you imagine that you are in a flying chair and controlling the chair with the thumbsticks (gamepad). I do this and I have no dizziness whatsoever.

i tried these things:
-floating chair
-world is moving around me
-it's a monitor with a high fov

i tried seeing the vr reality in all ways i can imagine so my brain can explain itself why things move while i don't. nothing is working, as soon i start moving the dizzyness starts.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I noted that none of us have mentioned "Roller Coaster Syndrome".

Many hardcore fans of coasters (true enthusiasts) work hard to acclimatize themselves to extreme rush on new coasters - especially as they have to ride them a number of times in quick succession.

I really wonder what the official response to questions on sim-sickness will be when the system is further towards consumer deployment?

KBK
Protege
What about folks who spend time and of money just trying to get messed up? 😄
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

darren
Honored Guest
Spin around twenty times and try to kick a virtual football while wearing a Rift.
"Collecting user blood samples is critical for the operation of the device. We have struggled with our ability to communicate our vision about how user blood sample collection is the future of VR gaming." - Microsoft

Knutsi
Protege
"kevinw729" wrote:
I really wonder what the official response to questions on sim-sickness will be when the system is further towards consumer deployment?

Agreed. I think it might be wise of OVR to pre-empt this, and be ready for it when the reviews strike. Especially if one can acclimatize in most cases, that should be stated from the start. A tutorial to ease you in might also be wise, and as I've said elsewhere: perhaps VR content should be graded so that the average user who picks it up knows what to expect and what to avoid based on their tolerance level.

E.g. TF2/Heli-Hell would be 3+, Tuscany 2+, Titans of Space 1+ and a stationary demo sans motion 0+.

vr advisory.png