cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

castana
Honored Guest
Hi All,
Sorry for my Ignorance but I am New in Oculus Rift Topics.
I am interested in making Games with Unity and Oculus and I would like to ask you What will it be its new price?
Thanks for your time
Alejandro Castan

MasterElwood
Protege
"castana" wrote:
Hi All,
I am interested in making Games with Unity and Oculus and I would like to ask you What will it be its new price?
Thanks for your time
Alejandro Castan

No official price yet - just "more than $350."

Best guess at the moment is somewhere between $351 and $399 (for the Rift, a camera and a XBO controller.)

aceman
Honored Guest
"MasterElwood" wrote:
"castana" wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks for your time
Alejandro Castan

Best guess at the moment is somewhere between $351 and $399 (for the Rift, a camera and a XBO controller.)

Tnx for the info. 🙂

hossamzayed
Honored Guest
Congratz and hope it comes finally to us as a consumer product.
I just checked the order link on the website and couldn't find the Rift among them for pre-ordering.
Is it officially open for pre-order or we will still wait for a while

FokkerFace
Explorer
"hossamzayed" wrote:
we will still wait for a while

Official release date is as far as "Q1 2016", so anywhere between Jan1-Mar31 2016. I don't have any official source to refer to, but it looks like there might be no pre-order option at all for Oculus Rift.
DK2 sold Rift - preordered, shipment estimate March 28. cancelled. MSI X99A RAIDER, i7-5820K + Corsair H110i GTX, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64 GB (4x16GB Quad Channel), AMD Radeon R9 Fury X, SSD RAID0 (2x256GB Sata3 A-Data SX900), OCZ ZX 850W 80+

AntDX3162
Heroic Explorer
Can Oculus make a financing department with no APR for 6-12/24 months? This is another good way to get VR in to many hands.

I was walking around stores and saw many VR copies but they cost $20-$40. They are kind of garbage compared to Oculus and GearVR. I mean.. the difference between them and Oculus/GearVR is like 500-5000% though.

It's like when people compare Xbox One and PS4 to a $2000 gaming PC, but talking to people about pricing of anything they always say they don't want to spend that much if they can't find worth for it like headphones.

If Oculus gets big and they end up looking like the smartphone industry then adding some credit department would matter. $600+ of premium Oculus headsets/headphones would be easier for people to swallow if it was broken down in months. Even though people have credit cards they would still take the financing directly from Oculus like Apple for no APR for 12+ months and other rewards.

Would be easier to make an Oculus store that works with other warehouses to get Oculus certified systems so people don't have to sift through which system will work as most people know nothing about PC parts.

An easier way would just be to work with Apple as most consumers use them vs Microsoft. Another way is to prove DX12 Windows is the superior option than Apple because of the programming standpoint and force people to convert over to Windows for DX12 but considering the amount of problems with new PCs people wouldn't want to do that.

Oculus financing like Dell financing would be great. Work w/ amazon/newegg to sell systems known for full VR experience to people who are computer illiterate but know how to use GPS.
facebook.com/AntDX316

carmamir
Honored Guest
"AntDX3162" wrote:
Can Oculus make a financing department with no APR for 6-12/24 months? ...

If Oculus gets big and they end up looking like the smartphone industry then adding some credit department would matter. $600+ of premium Oculus headsets/headphones would be easier for people to swallow if it was broken down in months.

NO

&

NO

And here is why, Oculus is not targeting that kind of people. In order to use Oculus you have to spend on GPU alone $600.

It might seems that you're idea is good, but believe me (I do have business & IT degree and now I am preparing to do MBA) when I am saying that Oculus had to identify their target audience and how to market it to them, they exactly know what is the salary bracket, age, gender, place of living, etc. of their clients.

Beside Oculus is a HOT product and there is no justification in creating threat for a bad debt...

If I would be sitting in their board, then I would immediately vote for firing operational director who would even mention that idea...

That is not, how you're selling to the market where demand is much bigger than supply...

Financing can be introduced if you want to get extra share of the market (Apple vs Windows) by offering better value for undecided clients... (however market has to be big enough in order to justify this big investment (credit scheme isn't cheap and is a pretty risky for stakeholders (especially shareholders :)))

REALLY BAD IDEA... :evil:

I wish, I could fire you... 😉

McTurbo
Honored Guest
"AntDX3162" wrote:
Can Oculus make a financing department with no APR for 6-12/24 months? This is another good way to get VR in to many hands.

I was walking around stores and saw many VR copies but they cost $20-$40. They are kind of garbage compared to Oculus and GearVR. I mean.. the difference between them and Oculus/GearVR is like 500-5000% though.

It's like when people compare Xbox One and PS4 to a $2000 gaming PC, but talking to people about pricing of anything they always say they don't want to spend that much if they can't find worth for it like headphones.

If Oculus gets big and they end up looking like the smartphone industry then adding some credit department would matter. $600+ of premium Oculus headsets/headphones would be easier for people to swallow if it was broken down in months. Even though people have credit cards they would still take the financing directly from Oculus like Apple for no APR for 12+ months and other rewards.

Would be easier to make an Oculus store that works with other warehouses to get Oculus certified systems so people don't have to sift through which system will work as most people know nothing about PC parts.

An easier way would just be to work with Apple as most consumers use them vs Microsoft. Another way is to prove DX12 Windows is the superior option than Apple because of the programming standpoint and force people to convert over to Windows for DX12 but considering the amount of problems with new PCs people wouldn't want to do that.

Oculus financing like Dell financing would be great. Work w/ amazon/newegg to sell systems known for full VR experience to people who are computer illiterate but know how to use GPS.

If you want financing use a credit card to buy it.

castana
Honored Guest
"MasterElwood" wrote:
"castana" wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks for your time
Alejandro Castan

Hi MasterElwood ,
Thanks for the info 😄
On the other hand, Do you know about Oculus Touch price? Do you if it will be for pre-sale at the end of 2015?
Regards and thanks again
Alejandro

itypo
Honored Guest
My educated guess will be the Oculus Rift will be 399, Touch will be 99 to 129.