cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer VR & S6 heat issue

dv8ed
Explorer
Is it normal for consumer Samsung Gear VR and Verizon Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Lollipop to over heat around 30 - 45 mins of usage? How are you supposed to finish a movie?
70 REPLIES 70

DOgi
Honored Guest
On GVR2 I spend more then 4 hours on watching movies and never experienced that issue.

Clover904
Honored Guest
No overheating issues here, and I used it extensively day one. Are you putting on the cover over-top your phone ?

Christiaan
Protege
My S6 overheats after 10mins playing Gunjack in a 72 degree room with a light ceiling fan on to boot...no cover on.

I did successfully watch 30mins in the netflix app with no heat warning.

Is the Note 5 any better with heat dissipation?

thealgorithm
Protege
I have the innovator edition for the S6. The phone did overheat quite a lot previously, however the last few days not an issue at all. Phone is warm but not as hot as it was. Could there have been a recent software update perhaps that minimised this from happening?

Azrael30
Explorer
I think it's different for everyone. I use my Gear vr for 30 min - an hour at a time on average, sometimes longer, playing one game or multiple games and watching videos, and I've only ever experienced the overheating issue twice, when my a/c and fan weren't on. I also usually move my swivel chair pretty directly under ceiling fan so that might make a difference. I'm using the s6 innovator edition.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"dv8ed" wrote:
Is it normal for consumer Samsung Gear VR and Verizon Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Lollipop to over heat around 30 - 45 mins of usage? How are you supposed to finish a movie?

Are you watching in Netflix or in Oculus Video?
Are you streaming the video or is it downloaded/sideloaded into the Oculus Cinema. Streaming heats up the phone pretty quickly, but still after you get the overheating message you go into power throttled mode and can continue watching.

In Oculus Video the performance stays practicly the same, even after you got the overheating message.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Christiaan" wrote:
My S6 overheats after 10mins playing Gunjack in a 72 degree room with a light ceiling fan on to boot...no cover on.

I did successfully watch 30mins in the netflix app with no heat warning.

Is the Note 5 any better with heat dissipation?

I used to have an S6 and had your exact same problem with other games/apps. I currently have the Note 5 with the New Gear VR and have not once had an overheat issue. I love using it again! 🙂

dv8ed
Explorer
Thought I update everyone on my issue.
I followed this guide to un-install, restart phone then re-install seems to have fixed my heating issue.
https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/art ... -software-

I disabled so many bloatware packages because Samsung & Verizon think they can push out software to you when ever they want without your permission. I'll look at my phone then I have an offer from Samsung or Verizon to download or update something. Maybe it was using the old driver/software already installed on the phone from a long time ago. Thought I heard somewhere they came out with an update that helped with heat issue.

I've watched one Netflix movie and played one game haven't had Samsung Gear VR tell me your device needs to cool down. It still gets warm to a little hot after a while of usage but nothing like before where I was worried my phone would eventually one day not work anymore.

I've been kind of busy lately so haven't had much time to play with it. I'll come back with another update if things change.

Azrael30
Explorer
I will say I think there was an update that fixed the heat issue cause while I didn't get overheated, after and during use my phone used to get really hot, but for the last few weeks the phone never gets anything beyond moderately warm.