cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

castana
Honored Guest
Hi itypo,
Thanks for the info 😄
Regards
Alejandro

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I hope oculus are as kind to the UK folks with CV1 as they were with DK2.

so many companies seem to look at it as $1 = £1 = €1

what that means is those of us in Blighty get royally anally probed.

However Oculus in the past have been great and we just paid a fair currency conversion which was fantastic.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

itypo
Honored Guest
Bear in mind US prices are usually without VAT/TAX.

RojoyInc
Honored Guest
I've been waiting and holding back from the DK's... it's time. I THINK. Having ben "a PC" since 1980, I changed to iMac a couple years ago and would hate to look back. I did installed win7 on my iMac 27" and I find (though I prefer OSX better) I'm usually booted in windows due to steam/games.

so - can I run the new rift on this machine? it's a 2012 I think. With win7 (best of windows, I had 8 on it with parallels and removed it) I have 10 on my PC and not into that either. Anyway. I run ALL games well as is on the Mac and win7. I have a AMD card 6870 I think.

I can run every game tried. (downloaded 150 of them from Steam) including ALL COD. ARMA's and all Batmans and Far Cry 4.
nearly maxed res and settings.

I thought I read that O.R needs 1. HDMI out? (I don't think the iMac has that?) and 2. USB 3.0. ( I think this machine has only 2.0) Any bootcamp people know if I should order a Rift when they come out? Really not interested in another PC taking up space. If I must I'd get a new Mac. = ) I have had 600. bucks in my drawer awaiting the rifts release.

cybereality
Grand Champion
No, that machine won't be supported at all. First, Macs aren't supported (even when running Windows) due to not having the most updated video drivers. In any case, the computer is too old and would not meet performance levels even if it worked. See here for the kind of Windows PC that is necessary: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

RojoyInc
Honored Guest
I have a i5 3.2 - 12gb ram, SSD 500gb, 10TB hard drives.
What would it need more than running Far Cry 4 nearly maxed out?

Doesn't the rift limit res to around 1080? Whats the res? however it's dual screens I imagine for the 3D.
I'm currently getting 2560x1440 res and great frame rates in every game I have. I suppose I could get a xbox one, but not into consoles and I already have a 150 count PC game library. Surely don't want to buy Xbox games.

I may have to get a new PC, but I really hate that and having more monitors up next to the iMac. (I have dual on my old Dell XPS with nVidia SLI cards. But that processor is to slow. I think that's a old P4.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Running a game on a 2D monitor and running a similarly detailed game in VR are two very different things. Just making the jump to VR can be 2 or 3 times as intensive graphically due to the higher resolution, higher refresh rate and stereo 3D. The link I provided above tells you exactly what you need.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

galopin
Heroic Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
The link I provided above tells you exactly what you need.

It is more what VR needs than "what you need" ! I would love to see VR succeed, but there is more chances it turns into a lame wet firecracker...

A small expected market for quite some time, low amount of high quality apps, a real issue on how to advertise VR without putting a hmd on the head of people, VR rendering that will be under regular game visuals because of the constraints.

Sadly, the biggest chance for VR are sony Morpheus because it can count on the PS4 base market, but it is also the most challenging platform to write a VR game because a PS4 is far below a med/high end computer already.

LKostyra
Protege
"galopin" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:
The link I provided above tells you exactly what you need.

It is more what VR needs than "what you need" ! I would love to see VR succeed, but there is more chances it turns into a lame wet firecracker...

A small expected market for quite some time, low amount of high quality apps, a real issue on how to advertise VR without putting a hmd on the head of people, VR rendering that will be under regular game visuals because of the constraints.

This is actually the best way for a new company with their new product to enter the market. It should be no suprise that the expected market is small - the technology is new and even though it is in more reachable prices, these are still high. We need some years to pass before more and more people will be able to buy the Rift. And no company will want to target everything on such a fresh piece of technology. IMO all we can do is to support it. And wait until the technology progresses enough to make it more affordable for all.

"galopin" wrote:
Sadly, the biggest chance for VR are sony Morpheus because it can count on the PS4 base market, but it is also the most challenging platform to write a VR game because a PS4 is far below a med/high end computer already.

Agreed, I cannot see how Morpheus will overcome challenges that PS4 creates. It is a console, which by release date was at a similar performance to mid/high end PCs. But this was back in November 2013. Fast forward to today, PCs moved forward, however PS performance is unchanged. And now Sony asks PS4 to withstand twice the calculations that it usually has to bear. I never had Morpheus in my head and I would love to check it some day in the future, however I am very sceptical about it.

The only upside I see to Morpheus is the same upside as Mobile VR and console gaming has - unified environment. There is only one machine you have to target, so you can optimize everything to that specific piece of hardware. If PS4 game developers will be able to roll back to their projects and go down with the quality (lower-poly models, lower resolution textures, less graphical effects etc) to achieve promised 90 Hz, the PS4 has its chance with PSVR.
DK1: Received DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received CV1: (Jan 6) Pending Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM

galopin
Heroic Explorer
Without market, big studios will not follow, so lack of content, so people don't buy the product ( did not stop the Wii you would say ). And because a 2d game and a VR games need completely different kin of assets, to support the two is definitely challenging and most may just drop VR because of the extra cost to push it.

Also, Morpheus is not 90Hz but 120Hz with a 1080p screen ( you still need a larger resolution to account for distorsion, but dynamic resolution is simpler to achieve than on dx11 ). I can only compare to a DK2, but i like the Morpheus forehead, and how the weight balance, my concern is the large side that make the use of my favorite headphone (sennheiser game one) mostly impossible.