cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming local content in the works?

BondoBox
Honored Guest
Is there going to be a EASY way to stream local content to the gear in the future? Like many others im already out of storage space and I just recently got the gear for my 32gb note 5. Since the gear came out the same time Samsung decided to get rid of the SD I figured oculus would have come up with something. I see this as a huge problem and I'm already frustrated that I have to keep deleting stuff every time I want to do something in VR. I know it's 100% possible because there's work arounds to get local streaming to work so why not make it easy for average consumers to do this. Streaming movies from are PCs in the oculus cinema would make the gear vr so much more convenient and enjoyable to use and it will free up so much more room to purchase games in the future. Seriously though..every time I want to try and enjoy a movie I have to go to my pc and convert it down so that it will fit. Then I have to delete stuff on my phone so that it will fit. Then move it over to my phone in a specific folder. Then finally pop on the gear to watch it. Then do this all over again every time. I just bought the gear so what's it going to be like months from now when more content is available. Everything should be quick and easy. Please let us stream are own content. Are you guys already running into storage problems and wouldn't you like to be able to easily stream your own content?
8 REPLIES 8

BondoBox
Honored Guest
Actually if oculus were to work with Plex in creating a PlexVR app then that would make a ton of people happy. I'm sure a lot of people would purchase the PlexVR app if it were available in the oculus store. I know I would jump all over it.

SamCraig
Honored Guest
"BondoBox" wrote:
Is there going to be a EASY way to stream local content to the gear in the future? Like many others im already out of storage space and I just recently got the gear for my 32gb note 5. Since the gear came out the same time Samsung decided to get rid of the SD I figured oculus would have come up with something. I see this as a huge problem and I'm already frustrated that I have to keep deleting stuff every time I want to do something in VR. I know it's 100% possible because there's work arounds to get local streaming to work so why not make it easy for average consumers to do this. Streaming movies from are PCs in the oculus cinema would make the gear vr so much more convenient and enjoyable to use and it will free up so much more room to purchase games in the future. Seriously though..every time I want to try and enjoy a movie I have to go to my pc and convert it down so that it will fit. Then I have to delete stuff on my phone so that it will fit. Then move it over to my phone in a specific folder. Then finally pop on the gear to watch it. Then do this all over again every time. I just bought the gear so what's it going to be like months from now when more content is available. Everything should be quick and easy. Please let us stream are own content. Are you guys already running into storage problems and wouldn't you like to be able to easily stream your own content?

Yes - in hindsight, I would have bought the 64GB Note myself. But I came from a S4 16gb and thought the 32 was plenty. Until... 🙂

I'm "ok" with space - I just need to make sure I copy photos/videos to my computer on a regular basis. I am doing that automatically with the photos. It's really just the videos since they take up a bunch of space.

This has been asked several times over the past 18 months - Plex in particular.

Now that we have Netflix and Oculus Video i think they'll hold off until the next Gear VR, which probably won't use a mobile phone at all.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

BondoBox
Honored Guest
Since it's been asked from the community for so long and still nothing it makes me kinda worry. Hopefully they are thinking about adding local streaming in the oculus theater.

DOgi
Honored Guest
Install and configure Emby Media Server ( https://emby.media/ ) and access it with VR Internet Browser. It's very easy way.

BondoBox
Honored Guest
Thanks I'll check it out. Does it only work in the browser or can you get this working in the oculus theater? This is kinda what I'm talking about though. Why do we have to use a workaround. Really wish it would be as simple as popping on the gear and jumping into the oculus theater and selecting PC. Kick back and stream your own movies in the theater. How hard would that have been. Probably would have been one of the best features of the gear vr.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder if splashtop remote would allow you to do this.

This has been asked several times over the past 18 months - Plex in particular.

Now that we have Netflix and Oculus Video i think they'll hold off until the next Gear VR, which probably won't use a mobile phone at all.

Wow, just seen this.

Just a couple of years too early lol
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3