cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

Etny2k
Honored Guest
Been saving since end of Summer, have $500 saved up for this specifically. I can't wait for this and will watch every day. Best news I heard since 900 series! 🙂

How many Oculus Rifts do you think were made? We gonna be good or will it be a sellout in 1 day?

skyegames
Honored Guest
It seems like some people say that this could be $400. Hope this is true, I can't spend too much on this.

Saffron
Explorer
PSVR is going to be the easiest, cheapest and more videogame-focused approach of all future HMD. I think Sony is gonna win this round...

EliteSPA
Superstar
"Saffron" wrote:
PSVR is going to be the easiest, cheapest and more videogame-focused approach of all future HMD. I think Sony is gonna win this round...

i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

bigmike20vt
Visionary
"Etny2k" wrote:
Been saving since end of Summer, have $500 saved up for this specifically. I can't wait for this and will watch every day. Best news I heard since 900 series! 🙂

How many Oculus Rifts do you think were made? We gonna be good or will it be a sellout in 1 day?

i think they will be limited but hopefully not TOO limited....... the 1st one rolled off the production line a few months back (end of september) and VR is still going to be niche for a little while.

http://www.roadtovr.com/the-first-oculu ... tion-line/

IF I was oculus, i would actually be opening the pre-orders up 48 hrs early for people who have already ordered a DK1 or DK2, direct from oculus. no money off or anything, just a little queue priority as a thankyou.

whether they will or not is anyones guess, but it would be a nice, and cost neutral gesture imo.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RojoyInc
Honored Guest
I had asked about Rift on bootcamp... didn't sound like (if it works) won't be great... so today I bit the bullet on a Alienware 2500 system. i7 GTX 980. 16gig. Hoping that will do it. I bought it only because I want the rift.

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
"RojoyInc" wrote:
I had asked about Rift on bootcamp... didn't sound like (if it works) won't be great... so today I bit the bullet on a Alienware 2500 system. i7 GTX 980. 16gig. Hoping that will do it. I bought it only because I want the rift.

I totally understand you...
I did the same o_o
And i'm sparing money for the rift right now u.u

Function
Honored Guest
"kalec84" wrote:
"RojoyInc" wrote:

I did the same o_o

You guys really should have asked around before buying Alienware systems... How much does an Alienware with an i7 and a gtx 980 cost?? $2500? More?

I built a VR-ready rig myself (with a 980ti GPU) for under $1500 - not to mention it was incredibly easy.

Ruszek83
Protege
"Function" wrote:
"kalec84" wrote:
"RojoyInc" wrote:

I did the same o_o

You guys really should have asked around before buying Alienware systems... How much does an Alienware with an i7 and a gtx 980 cost?? $2500? More?

I built a VR-ready rig myself (with a 980ti GPU) for under $1500 - not to mention it was incredibly easy.

I totally agree. I've just upgraded to Sabertooth mobo, i7 6700k, 16Gig DDR4 and 980Ti... ALL of this costed me just about 2000$ (and prices for hardware are hight in Denmark compearing to US)... minus 500$ i sold my old system for...
So 2000$ for a PC you build yourself wins every single time.

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
Ehmm... sorry ,i'm italian soo i don't always write a "correct" english... for "i did the same thing" i mean i bought a new system ^_^

i7-6700k GTXG1-980ti 16gb ram, AIO, etc... 1300-400€ (PSU and hard disks are re-used :P) total 🙂
I'm still waiting before update to windows 10... i want to be ULTRA sure it work ok with the rift o_o