cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer VR & S6 heat issue

dv8ed
Explorer
Is it normal for consumer Samsung Gear VR and Verizon Galaxy S6 5.1.1 Lollipop to over heat around 30 - 45 mins of usage? How are you supposed to finish a movie?
70 REPLIES 70

cybereality
Grand Champion
Hmm.. Well overheating is a real issue, but your case seems abnormal. Are you sure there are not other apps running in the background that are making the issue worse?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Jay535
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
Hmm.. Well overheating is a real issue, but your case seems abnormal. Are you sure there are not other apps running in the background that are making the issue worse?

No, I close out of all apps before I use Gear VR. I'm starting to wonder if there's a problem with my S6. I've only had it for a couple months and I've always thought that the battery drains too fast.

Bel-garath
Expert Protege
"Jay535" wrote:
"keithianw" wrote:
"keithianw" wrote:
I don't know if this will help you, but it seemed to help someone I tried to help on a reddit thread. Read a couple of my posts there and maybe it will help you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comment ... _consumer/

I'm quoting myself lol. Anyway, the user I helped via the above thread has confirmed he now experiences no overheating issues. I think I found a potential fix/workaround and Oculus should hire me 🙂 hehe

I've tried it with my S6 charging, brightness to 6, and do not disturb to on and it still overheats after 15 minutes of use. Did they seriously not test the S6 before releasing Gear VR?

That wasn't the only suggestion in those threads I linked to. You should try an app that optimizes and cools down the phone. I use 360 Security. It has two distinct functions. One is to optimize the apps which it calls a "Boost". The other after that is an option to cool down the phone. It then closes the apps running in the background that are causing the extra heat..a lot of which start up when you turn on your phone. After that, you take the steps like charging, lowering the brightness on the phone itself, do not disturb..make sure you lock the phone at that point or apps may start up again after you unlock it...and then try the Gear VR. It worked perfectly with the guy in the thread that had the same problem. Id be curious if it works for you.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"Jay535" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:
@Jay535: Can I ask what content you are trying? The reason I ask is because the amount of time before the phone starts to overheat is very dependent on the app being used. For example, I've heard people watch 2 hour videos on the Gear VR without heat warnings, but certain games are very intensive and will overheat in much less time.

Anything. It just overheats must faster with games. Using Netflix might take 20 min, games take maybe 10 min. This is with the cover off as well. If I have the cover on it overheats much faster.

General tips:

- dont download/install/uninstall/stream apps and things right before or during you want to do VR, but rather let the phone cool off inbetween, as this already heats up the device.

- go to airplane mode unless you really need wifi for a specific app, otherwise you can play most apps without the need for wifi/data

- If you do need internet access rather use wifi only instead of 3G/4G (turn on airplane mode and switch on wifi)

- even if you get the overheating message, in several apps you can continue to use it in a throttled 30fps mode and in some apps like Oculus Video, Netflix and others the performance stays practicly the same.

- there are plenty of S6 users who have no or less overheating issues with the S6, maybe it also depends on the carrier bloatware or system activities update you have installed

paulkaraffa
Honored Guest
I had my first overheating issue on S6 + consumer version gear vr when playing about 15 min of video from the new Jaunt app. That might be expected since Jaunt is doing some high quality video.

JvanE
Explorer
"HomerS66" wrote:

General tips:

Great tips, thanks! I was doing a few things very wrong, I see now, hence my heatin problems within 10 minutes. 😉

xBoggart
Protege
I use it with my S6 Edge+ and never had any over-heating issues. Obviously the phone warms up or even heats upto a certain extent on extensive gaming. That's all! I heard S6 suffered from heating problems in general too, may be that just got magnified with the VR. Lets hope some update fix that!

Jay535
Protege
I just discovered a solution to my overheating problems. Turn the brightness up to 10. Seriously, try it. If the brightness is set to 6 or 7 it overheats sometimes within just 5 minutes. Now at 10 it still hasn't overheated on me.

Oleksiis
Honored Guest
My Galaxy S6 constantly overheats, but my Note 5 can run for hours and hours without any problem.

vetie
Explorer
Gear VR Consumer with Note 5 here and never have had a heat warning. I have played almost every video, game and picture available for hours with no heat problems.

I also make sure to remove the plastic cover the goes over the phone to ensure it dissipates the heat better.
Love this thing!