cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

Function
Honored Guest
"kalec84" wrote:
Ehmm... sorry ,i'm italian soo i don't always write a "correct" english... for "i did the same thing" i mean i bought a new system ^_^

i7-6700k GTXG1-980ti 16gb ram, AIO, etc... 1300-400€ (PSU and hard disks are re-used :P) total 🙂
I'm still waiting before update to windows 10... i want to be ULTRA sure it work ok with the rift o_o

Ahh ok, I just misunderstood you. That is a nice system!
The consumer version of the Oculus is guaranteed to work on Windows 10, so no worries there! Unless you are talking about the DK2 - it is still supported on Windows 10, but not all VR apps are updated to work with Windows 10 yet.

MasterElwood
Protege
"bigmike20vt" wrote:
"Etny2k" wrote:

IF I was oculus, i would actually be opening the pre-orders up 48 hrs early for people who have already ordered a DK1 or DK2, direct from oculus. no money off or anything, just a little queue priority as a thankyou.

whether they will or not is anyones guess, but it would be a nice, and cost neutral gesture imo.

THE HELL NO! :evil:

Have 2 GVR. I buy almost every app in the Oculus store. I DESERVE one on launch day to! 😉

TheSandmaN
Protege
"EliteSPA" wrote:
"Saffron" wrote:
PSVR is going to be the easiest, cheapest and more videogame-focused approach of all future HMD. I think Sony is gonna win this round...

*head dance* *waves goodbye*
No matter where you go, there you are... -Confucius/Buckaroo Bonzai

RedSunset
Honored Guest
Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I've been agonising over what to put in my Rift PC. In reality, I'll wait until it is actually released before buying a new rig.

Pascal, Greenland, DDR5x.....it's all doing my head in!

But my question is this. If I get a 980ti (assuming that is the best available at release), will SLI be well enough supported that I could just add another 980ti down the track to keep up with CV2?

I've read that Nvidia is working on drivers that will allow one GPU to render each eye?

Anyone got any recommendations?

LKostyra
Protege
First of all, it is a good thing that you will wait. A lot can change when CV1 gets released.

Indeed, nVidia is working on an VR SLI (as a part of their Gameworks VR SDK). As far as I know, the problem is the support. Developers of the game (or engine developers, if we talk about an Unity/UE4 game) must integrate Gameworks VR SDK into their game to make VR SLI work. And this is only in nVidia cards, for AMD cards probably something similar must be done.

The question is, what do you plan to use your upgraded rig for. If for development, go SLI. If not, buying an SLI configuration is a lottery - you can get a game, which will fully use your SLI combo, and you can get a game which will use only one of your two-GPU-tandem, resulting in half of the performance available. So, without any plans for development, I would go for single-GPU, but more powerful. It is just a safer option (and probably less expensive anyway).
DK1: Received DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received CV1: (Jan 6) Pending Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM

Nyalice
Honored Guest
I'm hyped!

Stunna
Honored Guest
This looks amazing! Congrats to staff and really everyone involved! I'm so excited about this!

TheActionPlan
Honored Guest
So I've been waiting since the kickstarter campaign to try one out, and will be placing my order the second I'm able to.

My current system is compatible except for the GPU. I have a GTX 660, and am prepared to upgrade if necessary but does anyone know if the specs that have been posted are minimums, or are they recommended?

In case you're curious, I have an AMD FX-8120 processor at 3.1GHz, 8GB DDR3 @ 1866, and the ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX R 2.0 MOBO. Built it in 2012 and it's still an awesome system 😄

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
These are the "recomended" specs, from the site Road to VR:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Gullie667
Protege
Very Excited!