cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[0.8] Failed to initialize DirectDisplay extension (AMD)

Ubiquity
Explorer
I haven't been able to use my Rift since 0.7 on Windows 10, hours went into debugging this and I've literally tried everything suggested (cables, sweeps, reinstalls in 20 different orders, manually running servers in compatibility modes, etc).
As of 0.8 my tracker is finally detected again in Windows 10 (yay!) but now I get the following error:
HMD powered off, check HDMI connection
! Failed to initialize DirectDisplay extension (AMD)

I've done a complete removal of all AMD software. Removed the 0.7 runtime.
Installed the recommended AMD 15.10 beta driver (and verified it's being used in the catalyst control center under software) and installed runtime 0.8.

This is using a DK2 on Windows 10.
edit: also, extending the desktop to the HMD works fine. Doing this and disabling it again removes the AMD related error. But still leaves the message at HMD powered off, check HDMI connection.
54 REPLIES 54

Kangelos
Protege
Same thing here.
Tried all crimson drivers (including betas) and none is working.
When i turn on the rift i get the same messages and the headset screen is
bright white with multicolored artifacts all over.
The headset light goes immediately to blue when i turn it on and the sensors light
stays off.

charlton_3393
Heroic Explorer
I have had to revert back to Catalyst drivers as the headset for me is not even recognised as conected to the PC with the Crimson Drivers, such a shame... however i installed latest Crimson drivers on a windows 10 laptop with an R7 200 series gpu and it actually runs.... at like 10fps... but it runs.... really weird it never ran before.. :shock:

Anyway has anyone heard news from AMD or Oculus about this issue? Is it the 0.8 runtime not supporting the new features of Crimson? (Conflict with LiquidVR maybe? idk) or a problem with Crimson itself? Ive tried all beta and normal drivers with no luck... maybe it will be resolved with 0.9 runtime which im guessing will be around new years...
Specs: - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM

cybereality
Grand Champion
The issue is with Crimson and older AMD cards (GCN 1.0 cards, like the 7900 series). Newer cards should be working.

We're speaking with AMD about the issue, and we're currently investigating if a solution is possible. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

npcartwright
Honored Guest
I have the same problem, Im running windows 10 on a AMD Radeon R9 270X
Since the 0.8 runtime ive lost headtracking with the issues

HMD Powered off, Check HDMI Connection
Failed to initialize DirectDisplay extension (AMD)

spent the last couple of hours trying to fix it 😕

The screen is actually working and shows up but no headtracking at all

cybereality
Grand Champion
270X is also GCN 1.0 architecture (it was just a rebadge). You need GCN 1.1 or higher.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

DunderHassan
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
The issue is with Crimson and older AMD cards (GCN 1.0 cards, like the 7900 series). Newer cards should be working.

We're speaking with AMD about the issue, and we're currently investigating if a solution is possible. Thanks.

Thanks for the update, I hope it's nothing too cumbersome.

Kangelos
Protege
My R9 280x is also GCN 1.0 and its the only one i can (not) use right now.
Any news from AMD yet?

npcartwright
Honored Guest
I've tried different versions of the SDK now,

I can only get it to work on the 0.5 Runtime, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8 dont work for me

Any idea if this is going to be resolved, I think its a bit early to say our graphics cards are outdated

cybereality
Grand Champion
Only 0.7 or 0.8 will work on Windows 10.

I would try 0.7 with this AMD driver: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... river.aspx

duey2k
Honored Guest
I have an AMD R9 M375 and still get the issues. This was on stock Catalist and on Crimson.