cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

Ancienttanuki
Honored Guest
Very nice that people have so much to say here, i was hoping for more specific information about the order in January...

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
"Ancienttanuki" wrote:
Very nice that people have so much to say here, i was hoping for more specific information about the order in January...

Exactly that!

Having to wait so long without any news (except that "some" devs will have it to create games, with was abvious :P) is killing me ç_ç

danielharrison0
Honored Guest
I thought Oculus (facebook) would take pre-orders for the rift prior to the end of this year? Has this changed?
Also I checked my online-status information and there does not appear to be any history of my purchase of the DK1 and the DK2 so I doubt there will be any preference for backers or early adopters, which feels a little disappointing.

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
"danielharrison007" wrote:
I thought Oculus (facebook) would take pre-orders for the rift prior to the end of this year? Has this changed?
Also I checked my online-status information and there does not appear to be any history of my purchase of the DK1 and the DK2 so I doubt there will be any preference for backers or early adopters, which feels a little disappointing.

Well, i agree... but is not that of a big deal, it was not an "early acess" thing, so is ok if they dong make particular things for people who bought dk1 or dk2, justhaving the cv1 coming out is something i feel i contribute 🙂

The thing i hope, is that they have a good plan for distribution... i would prefer to preorder the system from "my state" instead of having it shipped from the US... you know, is a thing that everybody in the world are waiting... a crappy distribution plan can easly screw up a lot of sellings...

D_Car
Honored Guest
So slightly off topic will eve of Valkyrie be a physical media or download , wondering as my computer has no dvd drive
(cant wait till preorder)

Lleajy
Honored Guest
Hi,

I've the following config :

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
GPU: GTX 780 (3Go DDR5)

Do you think I can run the CV1 rift smoothly ?

I think the recent card 9xx are overrated compared to the 780...

cybereality
Grand Champion
That machine is pretty close to what you need. Just keep in mind that developers will be optimizing for the GTX 970, so even if you are only slightly off, it may result in a sub par experience.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Souldapop
Honored Guest
I'm planning on buying the CV1 when it comes out; but I'm a bit worried that the tech will be obsolete in a couple of years. Considering some things that are surfacing now that wont be included (eye tracking for example) I'm worried that the next step will be floors above. Should I still get a rift? Or should I wait until the tech gets to the place it's already on track to head to?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Any tech you buy will be obsolete in a few years. If that is your logic, then never buy anything.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

dignifiedweb
Protege
I had the privilege of trying the CV1 at PAX in September. Are you allowed to say if there's any noise cancellation tech in the headphones? I noticed right away that the headphones sounded extremely good for on-ear headphones. Putting on the rift blinded both your vision and audio senses it seemed, like you were taking a leap into a new world. Can't wait guys, happy new year!
Check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Man Overboard! - Try the DK2 Version if you don't have a Gear VR