Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doom 3 BFG Edition

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
Latest version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101772879/Doom3BFG-VR4.zip

---------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know what's happening with iD software and Oculus regarding Doom 3 BFG. And I don't know when we get our $20 steam vouchers to help buy Doom 3 BFG.

But we've been working on adding Oculus Rift support to the source code, since it's open source (except the Bink video playback). Our Rift's haven't arrived yet though, so it's a bit hacky.

We've got head-tracking working, but we haven't fixed the shaders or rendering for the 7" yet. Head tracking should work for real Rifts or for Hillcrest trackers.

Download (old version):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/101772879/Doom3BFGTracking.zip

Source:
https://github.com/tmek/DOOM-3-BFG-VR
464 REPLIES 464

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone have a fix for the laser aiming too high? My bullets do not hit where the laser points, basically. Running my game with the body view turned off.

Samson
Heroic Explorer
"Linear" wrote:
Hi Samson !
How is Hydra controllers version progress going ?))
(P.S. - is there any alpha or beta build of it?)

Sorry it took so long to reply. Progress is going slowly, but aside from that fairly well.

There are new hud options, and the hud is now an object in the world instead of a fixed overlay, so size and position can be changed. The hud can be attached to your view or to your body, toggled on or off, or activated by looking up or down at a used defined angle. Added another method to get ammo/health stats without needing the hud at all- sort of a surprise.

All of the weapon viewmodels are now fully fleshed out.

The player position is now bound to a neck model of the hmd position, so moving around in the tracking space updates the player position - you can't cheat and walk away from your body any more.

Added an optional (toggleable) heading beam/indicator that points the direction the player body is facing.

You can select between the laser sight, a laser dot, crosshair, or circle dot reticles that project correctly in the world from the weapon muzzle.

If you want to view your body while playing, the weapon viewmodels are now used instead of the worldmodels, so weapon guis and effects are visible. Fixed the shadows for the viewmodels and player head. The weapons can also be separated from the body animation, and move and point where you are aiming when using standard or motion controls. Just for fun, added very very basic arm IK when using motion controls.

When using motion controls, you now actually have to throw the grenades instead of just firing them. Started adding support for melee attacks with motion controls. (Club bad guys with the flashlight or weapon by swinging them)

Added a lot of the standard movement/aim modes - keyhole, comfort turning (completely optional, but can be used exclusively or in tandem with stick yaw) etc.

A lot of tweaks to make using in game gui interfaces more seamless in vr.

Things that need to be finished:

A bunch of weapon/player animation cleanup. This is the most time consuming thing left for me.
Bugfixes - there are a few bugs with the way the game is paused when the pda is being used to display the in game menus.
Motion control calibration needs to be streamlined.
All the VR options need to be added to in game menus.
Cutscene camera files need to be addressed again.
Lots of cleanup.
There is a bug with MSAA that appeared with Nvidia driver updates a while ago. If I roll back to older drivers it disappears. Still need to figure out if its them or me. Might just add FXAA in the interim.

"motorsep" wrote:
Why is view weapon synced to the head? Wouldn't it be better to look around as you'd normally do in real life and have weapon controlled independently ?

You may want to read the whole thread, that version was really just a rendering test with the newer SDK. Im working to finish a mod that supports motion controls and addresses a lot of other issues.

"jrd3d" wrote:
Does anyone know how to get the Trent Reznor Soundpack Mod working on this? I know it worked for the pre BFG edition, and there is a way you can get the old mods to work on BFG edition by itself, but so far I am clueless if it will work on the BFG VR edition.

Classic D3 mods that used the doom3 'sdk' to change game functionality will not work. Original D3 was split into two programs/parts, the 'renderer' and the 'game'. The D3 sdk let people modify and recompile the 'game' code which then talked to the renderer. D3BFG has the game and renderer unified as one program, so there is no way to use the modified game code from original D3 mods.

Texture, sound, model, map mods etc can be used with a little work - I can't write a howto now but you should be able to search. Also check fs_resourceLoadPriority and fs_game. Backup your game installation first!

"jngdwe" wrote:
Does anyone have a fix for the laser aiming too high? My bullets do not hit where the laser points, basically. Running my game with the body view turned off.
Fixed in upcoming mod.

Sorry, still no ETA.

Hope everyone has a merry Christmas / happy holiday / happy new year !

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are a ton of people that really appreciate what you are doing. Thank you so much! I am patiently awaiting your updates.

jrd3d
Explorer
This is the mod launcher I was referring to for Doom 3 BFG to run some of the old Doom 3 mods:
http://www.kot-in-action.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4435

motorsep
Rising Star
"jrd3d" wrote:
This is the mod launcher I was referring to for Doom 3 BFG to run some of the old Doom 3 mods:
http://www.kot-in-action.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4435

Oh, that's my thing 🙂 I no longer mess with it, but there is a better mod going around:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-bfg-hi-def

It would be really good for Doom 3 BFG for DK2 / Rift to use it, since it uses higher quality textures / models and effects.

There is also a nice update coming with HDR / Ambient lighting and filmic post process effects:

http://i.imgur.com/1nZPlNk.png

http://i.imgur.com/YqVX8X4.png

Not to mention soft shadows (shadowmaps) that are already in the engine. I am not sure if it was backported into this DK2 mod here.

rlabelle
Protege
"Samson" wrote:
"Linear" wrote:
Hi Samson !

Sorry it took so long to reply. Progress is going slowly, but aside from that fairly well.

There are new hud options, and the hud is now an object in the world instead of a fixed overlay, so size and position can be changed. The hud can be attached to your view or to your body, toggled on or off, or activated by looking up or down at a used defined angle. Added another method to get ammo/health stats without needing the hud at all- sort of a surprise.

The player position is now bound to a neck model of the hmd position, so moving around in the tracking space updates the player position - you can't cheat and walk away from your body any more.

Added an optional (toggleable) heading beam/indicator that points the direction the player body is facing.

You can select between the laser sight, a laser dot, crosshair, or circle dot reticles that project correctly in the world from the weapon muzzle.

If you want to view your body while playing, the weapon viewmodels are now used instead of the worldmodels, so weapon guis and effects are visible. Fixed the shadows for the viewmodels and player head. The weapons can also be separated from the body animation, and move and point where you are aiming when using standard or motion controls. Just for fun, added very very basic arm IK when using motion controls.

When using motion controls, you now actually have to throw the grenades instead of just firing them. Started adding support for melee attacks with motion controls. (Club bad guys with the flashlight or weapon by swinging them)

Added a lot of the standard movement/aim modes - keyhole, comfort turning (completely optional, but can be used exclusively or in tandem with stick yaw) etc.

A bunch of weapon/player animation cleanup. This is the most time consuming thing left for me.
Bugfixes - there are a few bugs with the way the game is paused when the pda is being used to display the in game menus.
Lots of cleanup.
There is a bug with MSAA that appeared with Nvidia driver updates a while ago. If I roll back to older drivers it disappears. Still need to figure out if its them or me. Might just add FXAA in the interim.

"motorsep" wrote:
Why is view weapon synced to the head? Wouldn't it be better to look around as you'd normally do in real life and have weapon controlled independently ?

You may want to read the whole thread, that version was really just a rendering test with the newer SDK. Im working to finish a mod that supports motion controls and addresses a lot of other issues.

"jrd3d" wrote:
Does anyone know how to get the Trent Reznor Soundpack Mod working on this? I know it worked for the pre BFG edition, and there is a way you can get the old mods to work on BFG edition by itself, but so far I am clueless if it will work on the BFG VR edition.

Classic D3 mods that used the doom3 'sdk' to change game functionality will not work. Original D3 was split into two programs/parts, the 'renderer' and the 'game'. The D3 sdk let people modify and recompile the 'game' code which then talked to the renderer. D3BFG has the game and renderer unified as one program, so there is no way to use the modified game code from original D3 mods.

Texture, sound, model, map mods etc can be used with a little work - I can't write a howto now but you should be able to search. Also check fs_resourceLoadPriority and fs_game. Backup your game installation first!

"jngdwe" wrote:
Fixed in upcoming mod.

Sorry, still no ETA.

I've been anxiously awaiting this as well. Not only to play with my hydra, but I backed the Kickstarter for Sixense Stem controllers that ship in April, and they are to be backward compatible to Hydra support. Hopefully it will be plug and play. Doom 3 BFG with Stem and Virtuix Omni should prove to be amazing, or terrifying. Outstanding work, the kids and myself have had a ton fun playing the HL2 integration, your work is appreciated.
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1 FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28

DarkyDan
Honored Guest
-applauds- thanks all involved for getting this running on 0.7

Now I need to find a way to switch to keyhole aiming, coz craning my neck to aim up is fooked 🙂

rlabelle
Protege
"darkydan" wrote:
-applauds- thanks all involved for getting this running on 0.7

Now I need to find a way to switch to keyhole aiming, coz craning my neck to aim up is fooked 🙂

Are you playing with the Razer Hydra cause it should be really natural to look down the sites. In HL2 VR, it is as seemless as aiming with a real gun.
Youtube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrvzyiqz8Qiu7 ... irmation=1 FaceBook: www.facebook.com/The-Wombat-Cave-103351200009813/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheWombatCave Upcoming: Sixense Stem-May,Virtuix Omni-April,HTC Vive-?,Oculus CV1-Mar.28

RABID
Expert Protege
"Samson" wrote:
"Linear" wrote:
Hi Samson !

Lots of cleanup.

"motorsep" wrote:

"jrd3d" wrote:

"jngdwe" wrote:
Fixed in upcoming mod.

Sorry, still no ETA.

sounds amazing!!! really looking foward to playing with the STEM (if they ever ship :roll: ) . is there any chance the doom mod can be ported to other games that use this engine like Quake 4?

Scandy
Explorer
Hi,
excuse me for my (maybe stupid) question but reading the older posts I could not understand if there is a way to play DOOM 3 BFG (Steam version) on DK2 with 0.8 runtime (Windows 10).

Thank you