D&D or Board Game Fans — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

D&D or Board Game Fans

MadarasMadaras Posts: 572
Nexus 6
edited May 2014 in General
:idea: So I was just thinking after reading the "Gambling" thread. About table top gaming, such as my favorite D&D. Now my first thought in D&D was to pretty much LARP in a created world. However, I have another alternative (though I would still absolutely love LARPing in the Rift :!: ) that is to have a table top setting in the rift where you can connect with your friends across the country/world and sit at a virtual table with your virtual character sheets passing hidden messages to the DM/PCs (which is more of a challenge in person) with a virtually updated Character sheet (YAY no more erasing and rewriting all over your favorite character!). I believe the same method could be used for board games with not much of a difference.

What do you think, if you are a D&D or board game fan does this seem like something you'd like :?:

Comments

• VinVin Posts: 874
    Brain Burst
    I'd play some Wallethammer 20k.
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    I've always wanted to play Hero Quest in VR.
  • ganndolffganndolff Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    I couldn't help but think of a old game called Powermonger when I read the OP's post. It has ancient graphics (and just plain ignore the sound effects), but this video can kinda show you what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EketrkTYoU

Skip to about 3:20 and you can see the actual game board. I could totally see a setup like this for a "table top" game, where the table had a 3D "hologram" of the game and all of the players were avatars standing around the board.

Hell, that could be the future of RTS games right there.........with hydra support to move troops around.
  • MadarasMadaras Posts: 572
    Nexus 6
    ganndolff wrote:
    I couldn't help but think of a old game called Powermonger when I read the OP's post. It has ancient graphics (and just plain ignore the sound effects), but this video can kinda show you what I mean:

Skip to about 3:20 and you can see the actual game board. I could totally see a setup like this for a "table top" game, where the table had a 3D "hologram" of the game and all of the players were avatars standing around the board.

Hell, that could be the future of RTS games right there.........with hydra support to move troops around.

Pretty much the idea. I'm also thinking of the power the DM would have in the world. Changing your surroundings, background music, popping up 3D models of monsters and NPCs to speak with you, there is just so much of an experience that DMs love to share with their players that I believe the Rift can help solve.

As for RTS gaming, I see what you're saying and I'm sure there would be a great game for that, though I think the way RTS is done so far is probably the way it's going to evolve. Though I could see a space game where you're commanding an armada and have to tactically position and command your ships using the board like you suggested.
  • BattlerBattler Posts: 79
    NerveGear
    i was in a larp once and it was so fucking awesome. now i am hyped about a larp in the oculus! if you are a developer reading this if you create a larp in the rift i will surely pay for it.
    hell even the second option sounds amazing, i might even love it more then the first one.
    Nexus 6
    Battler wrote:
    i was in a larp once and it was so fucking awesome. now i am hyped about a larp in the oculus! if you are a developer reading this if you create a larp in the rift i will surely pay for it.
    hell even the second option sounds amazing, i might even love it more then the first one.

Absolutely! To be in the game more than just imagination, but adding your visual sense to imagination would be an amazing upgrade!
  • I actually saw a really good game for what you might want. It's called Tabletop Connect, I found a kickstarter page for it and... Well, it's probably easier if you check it out. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/840448191/tabletop-connect-3d-virtual-tabletop Perhaps we can find someone to make it more "VR compatible", shouldn't be too hard seeing how you only have to sync up the Gyroscopic feature of the rift with the program, maybe a more appropriate way to trek the table.
  • AhzreiAhzrei Posts: 100
    Brain Burst
    Yes to everything about this thread.

Anything that even might be able to recreate the tabletop experience digitally would be amazing. I don't live near all of the people i used to game with, and any of the programs I've found that try just don't cut the mustard. I think VR could enhance the entire experience, literally allowing you to wear your character's skin, so everyone sees you as the guy you're roleplaying. It could be seriously amazing, if someone did the job well. I'm worried it'd be something of a niche product though.

But even a virtual conference sort of setup, where it just puts everyone around a table with a virtual grid and sheets/dice would be phenomenal. It'd be so much easier to find a group to game with if everyone could just meet on the internet.
  • kirklasallekirklasalle Posts: 29
    NerveGear
    Wow, I really like this idea... I'm an old schooler from way back playing D&D v2 before the changes.. yeah I'm that geek :geek: I like the idea of the Amiga game table combined with the tabletop connect. I'm sure there could be several option for how the table works too. IE. hex map regions like the tabletop, the dungeons and then maybe the animated battles in full 3D where you move in and out ala Dungeon Keeper II (another favorite) I already know someone in another state I'd start gaming with immediately. Although, i love D&D, I also love Skyrim and my buddy doesn't play, not even the MMO version of that's coming up, so this would be perfect.

I'll definitely follow this thread and hopefully find a way to contribute.
  • raidho36raidho36 Posts: 1,312
    There's really awesome game called Desperate Gods. It's basically a generic roll-the-dice and move-the-pieces game, but it's open source (you'd have to ask for the source though) and can be reworked into anything. It's also not one of those games that forcibly impose rules, and you play it like you play IRL board game - it's a free for all, anything goes, and rules are only in people's heads, noting to stop you from flipping the batshit up carnage. So actually reworking it should be as easy as adding new models and textures.
  • GardenerGardener Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    This is such a great idea!

I want one that has a meta game set in 1979 where you and all your friends have gathered in the basement of your mom's house. You're all drinking pop and sitting around a folding table. You have a meta avatar that's a 1970s nerd and an in game player character. As you switch focus to the table top game, you can see your nerdy friends morph into cool rogues and wizards. It would be nice to have motion tracking on your arms so that you could physically manipulate the table top pieces and maybe periodically pick up your asthma inhaler to take a puff. The wood paneled walls would morph into a nighttime fantasy scene as the game progressed, so your surroundings sort of match the game being played on the table top. Mist and spells on the tabletop could sort of overflow into your lap. Dragons could hover over the table and fly around your head.

So fun!
  • Do I count as fan if I just love watching "Rollplay: Solum"? :D
  • GardenerGardener Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Madaras wrote:

Pretty much the idea. I'm also thinking of the power the DM would have in the world. Changing your surroundings, background music, popping up 3D models of monsters and NPCs to speak with you, there is just so much of an experience that DMs love to share with their players that I believe the Rift can help solve.

OMG! The possiblities for a nice DM toolset are so cool! I love the idea of music cues etc.... You could have weather and lighting cues also.... "A dark fog surrounds you and lightning flashes in the distance" cue fog, cue lightning, cue Inseption trailer horn sound effect.
  • vrfanboy37vrfanboy37 Posts: 158
    Brain Burst
    I used to play D&D on http://www.rpgtableonline.com/
    basically a chat room with D&D tools. it worked, but something was missing. This sounds very promising.
  • I personally would love a DnD telepresence app! Especially since my gaming friends live about 2000 miles away.
  • raidho36raidho36 Posts: 1,312
    It's not exactly a DnD, but it's a board game. I've decided to actually fork Desperate Gods and deploy Oculus Rift support. I've decided not to implement Razer Hydra support, although very helpful and obvious thing to do, for compatibility reasons - this is a subject to change though, once I find out how to carve it in without breaking compatibility with vanilla game.
  • GablarGablar Posts: 56
    Brain Burst
    I think this is a great idea but there are some pitfalls. Games like neverwinter nights are direct adaptations of pen and paper rule sets, but the experience is not even close to being the same. The experience in neverwinter nights is limited to the objects,location and actions programmed into the game. In a pen and paper game the experience is limited only to the imagination. To put it another way, the more visual cues you give the player, the less it becomes a game of the imagination.

I think that a virtual tabletop is a great idea, but room for the imagination is the most important thing to consider when playing DnD. The challenge is then to create a framework that facilitates Roleplaying without removing the freedoms of an imaginary world.
  • CalanarCalanar Posts: 706
    Hiro Protagonist
    Gablar wrote:
    I think this is a great idea but there are some pitfalls. Games like neverwinter nights are direct adaptations of pen and paper rule sets, but the experience is not even close to being the same. The experience in neverwinter nights is limited to the objects,location and actions programmed into the game. In a pen and paper game the experience is limited only to the imagination. To put it another way, the more visual cues you give the player, the less it becomes a game of the imagination.

I think that a virtual tabletop is a great idea, but room for the imagination is the most important thing to consider when playing DnD. The challenge is then to create a framework that facilitates Roleplaying without removing the freedoms of an imaginary world.

That's why you don't implement NWN or some other MMO. You implement a table top and avatars sitting around it with a GM screen. You make PDF readers attached to books with picture covers, playing pieces and player sheets and maps with 3d pop ups. But even flat maps would work to start. You create a hand out system and a private text message system and rolling of the dice and you and your friends wherever they are can play any system that exists.

That will be an RPG Renaissance like no other. You said it right. Nothing can replace the imagination that is in the player's heads. So don't try. Give them the props to be able to play the VR game like a table top game and you are there with far less work than a traditional MMO.
    Michael Tenery, Software, RPG and Game Developer.
    Imagine Role Playing:
    http://www.role-playing.com
  • willstewillste Posts: 675
    Brain Burst
    D&D will be hard but one day possible. I think what you really need to make a D&D app take off will be a strong sense of player avatar presence to facilitate the kind of back room social kickback that makes D&D awesome. This would at a minimum require the following:

1) Rock solid voice communication
    2) Some form of animation on your avatar that communicates your emotions and possibly physical movements of lips and upper body. This is important to maintain the perks of face to face interaction. Without that you are just in a dressed up chat room.
    3) Hand gesture control over a physical board and any materials.

I think until those things exist maybe a better place to start would be board games that are less focused on human interaction and more focused on game play strategy like hex war games and maybe warhammer 40k style games.
  • PeteoPeteo Posts: 264
    Hiro Protagonist
    You guys know there is something like this on oculus share already right?

Desperate gods

https://share.oculus.com/app/desperate-gods-vr

An Oculus Rift adaptation of the wolfire board game Desperate Gods. It's compatible with non-VR version and you can play with non-VR players.
    Basic rules are simple: players take turns to move their pieces and upgrade their equipment to fight monsters and progress through the game. Game starts at the town, and pieces would move clockwise. Players roll the dice to see in which order they would take turns. At their turn, the player would roll two dice and choose either of them to move exactly that many squares. Then player does what the square commands. To fight a monster, the player rolls a die, and if the result is equal or higher than monster's strength (die icon number) then the player wins, defeated card goes to the victory pile, and player takes the amount of coins the monster is worth. Otherwise the player loses a health point. When all monsters are slain, the game is over, and hoever has more victory points (number on the skull) in their victory pile, wins the game. Players can also fight each other and trade. Here's the official rule set: http://forums.wolfire.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17048 Remember, that none of these rules really exist, and if you want your party can create its own rules any time!
  • sneakypoosneakypoo Posts: 218
    Peteo wrote:
    You guys know there is something like this on oculus share already right?
    This thread was started in July last year. What you're linking was created two months ago.
    Nexus 6
    Thanks for the info bros! Glad to see something was made like this ^_^!
    Nexus 6
    Well 3 years later. Anything new?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    AltspaceVR has some D&D but I haven't tried it yet. Also, nice grave-dig.
    https://altvr.com/how-to-play-dnd-in-vr/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2017
    Just glancing at it, that looks awesome! Thanks for the link Cyber, and as said by someone in the appreciation thread thanks for sticking around. Added that program to my library already apparently (along with many others) Had no idea it had a way of playing DnD. Awesome.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    nice grave-dig.
    Dude, he was shamelessly bumping his old thread

He only left it three years, surely there was no need for the double post

Im outraged
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I actually wasn't being sarcastic. I think this is one of the best thread resurrections I've ever seen.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    I lile the casual manner in which it was done, ill give him that.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    @Madaras there is also Tabletop Simulator, it has VR support now but I dont know how well it works in VR and for the rift, if I read properly, i think you can even play with ppl who dont have the VR set
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited May 2017
    KenSniper said:
    @Madaras there is also Tabletop Simulator, it has VR support now but I dont know how well it works in VR and for the rift, if I read properly, i think you can even play with ppl who dont have the VR set
    Works only via SteamVR which is unfortunate. I managed to play a few games of Star Wars: Destiny with a friend who is playing flat. The experience was great though I still get Judder problems and random tracking loss in every SteamVR game. Luckily it doesn't really effect the experience too much in something like TTS a part from a few moments of frustration.

I hear some people have no problems with SteamVR though. If thats you then go nuts.