New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Free new Oculus Rift for Kickstarter backers

paulb29paulb29 Posts: 17
NerveGear
edited January 2016 in General
Original kickstarter backers, check your email. Seems we are getting a free special Kickstarter edition of the new Rift!

"As a small token of our appreciation for your support, all Kickstarter backers who pledged for a Rift development kit will get a free Kickstarter Edition Oculus Rift! And like all Rift pre-order purchasers, you’ll receive a bundled copy of Lucky’s Tale and EVE: Valkyrie."

How cool!!

Comments

• sdplayersdplayer Posts: 128
    Art3mis
    Looks like DK2 buyers might be out of luck!
  • DragonicDragonic Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2016
    Too bad, I bought the DK1 for development only when it became available after the kickstarter :cry: !
    Can we have a little discount price for no-kickstarter DK1 and DK2 users ?

Anyway, good news for the KS backers, and very cool move from Oculus ! I'm jealous ^^ !

Some links about this news :
    http://vrfocus.com/archives/27396/oculu ... ulus-rift/
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/5/107145 ... t-ces-2016
  • bp2008bp2008 Posts: 256
    Art3mis
    Noticed this too. Very cool! Most of us dared not even dream of such a thing!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • petermzpetermz Posts: 55
    great move and i think a fair nod of the head to the backers :)

(Yeah, i too was too late with DK2, but oh well :D)
    come what may time and hour runs through the roughest day
  • Tim74UKTim74UK Posts: 1,369
    Nexus 6
    It should be free for all! :)

Go Facebook! YAY!!! :D:lol:
    My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
  • LKostyraLKostyra Posts: 263
    Very good news!

I hope this will settle all the "Can DK2 owners have a discount please" posts. :)

Meanwhile, I can't wait for tomorrow.
    DK1: Received
    DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received
    CV1: (Jan 6) Pending
    Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM
  • r00xr00x Posts: 389
    Nexus 6
    I was too late, DK2 here... but good for them!! That's awesome.
  • Do people who bought more than one dk1 as a part of their pledge get more than one free kickstarter edition?
  • AlexGAlexG Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Thank YOU!!!

Do i have to fill out the (VAT (where appropriate)) field, if i order from Germany?
  • haydxnhaydxn Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    I just logged on here to find out that too - I'm in the UK, it just says VAT (where appropriate), but requires that I put something. I'd hate to put the wrong thing and scupper my treat!
  • AlexGAlexG Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    I left the field free now, was that wrong? In Germany i have to pay 19% VAT if i order from USA!
  • elmuerkoelmuerko Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Congrats to Kickstarters. Shame there's nothing for DK1/2 people, even an early pre-order of CV1 would be nice.
  • paulb29paulb29 Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I already received the order form and just ordered mine. Unfortunately no indication of ETA

The CV1 will (initially) ship to the following countries: ""This offer is only available in the following countries where Oculus Rift is shipping: United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, and Taiwan."

Very cool of Oculus!
  • FurienFurien Posts: 8
    That's cool for those that were able to get in on Kickstarter. Can't help but feel left out after buying BOTH the DK1 and DK2 as soon as they were available through Oculus directly though.

Any chance DK owners could at least get something? Like a discount for each previously owned DK version? Reserved early ordering? Anything?
  • morebeatmorebeat Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I've let the VAT-Field empty, too. It's a gift anyway. ;)

Such a great move from Oculus, I've had tears in my eyes as I received the announcement. :)
  • DarkJamesDarkJames Posts: 181
    Even as a non-backer, I think this is awesome! Great that Oculus is showing support to the community that helped get it started :)
    Seeing is believing
  • Vern_SVern_S Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    Very cool move by Oculus!! Congrats to the KS Backers and to Oculus for this milestone event tomorrow! :D
    Neo Technologist - XR Developer - Rift/Rift S/Quest
    Unity 3D - 3DS Max - Adobe Cloud - iClone
    MSI GT72VR 6RE Dominator Pro
  • neilkaneilka Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I put 20% in the VAT field (for the UK), hopefully that's what they were expecting!
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
    Project 2501
    I would honestly just settle for FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING to dk2 owners lol...If I remember correctly shipping to Canada cost me 75$ back then
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • NedoNedo Posts: 295
    Hiro Protagonist
    WOW just WOW! :mrgreen:
    Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016
  • haydxnhaydxn Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    oh dear, I just tried again (on laptop, was on mobile last time) and it was happy to accept a blank VAT field. Now I'm worried I've made a mistake, and it says I only have 10 minutes to amend it :/
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,014 Volunteer Moderator
    Dragonic wrote:
    Too bad, I bought the DK1 for development only when it became available after the kickstarter :cry:
    Same here. I bought the DK1 almost 3 years ago, but that was just after the kickstarter. Hehe, I had publicly released source code for oculus engine integration being tested by people in other countries before I had even seen a DK1 in real life (I had to borrow a rift from one of my students 2.5 months later to get to see my own demo working).

I wonder how many of the 6000-7000 people who kickstarted for a DK1 are still around in the VR community?
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Congratz to all the lucky asses, DK2 users should get a discount, thats my opinion, we are part of this big project too... :lol:
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • HornetHornet Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    I am living in none of these "supported" countries, but can I use adress in Germany? Or I have to wait? I am living in EU Slovakia.
  • ConzConz Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    That was unexpected. :o

Thank you Oculus!
  • DisdroidDisdroid Posts: 562
    Respect.
    People tend to believe what they want to be true.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    If you are in a country that doesn't use VAT, putting zero or leaving it blank should be fine. Obviously if you are subject to VAT, you should put the correct value for your region. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Hornet wrote:
    I am living in none of these "supported" countries, but can I use adress in Germany? Or I have to wait? I am living in EU Slovakia.

Good question. I am in the same situation, I live in Estonia, but if shipping here is impossible - can i use my friend's address in Germany?
  • FlimFlim Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    I got the email... but it was the original DK1 Kickstarter info asking to update your shipping address, back from 2012.

Awesome, I do appreciate what Oculus is doing... doesn't happen to often!
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    I missed the Kickstarter, but this is a kickass gesture by Oculus and something they certainly didn't have to do, so I give them big kudos for this. I love you guys.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti