cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

smilertoo
Protege
I wonder if this means we'll see demonstration booths in some of the better department stores that sell TVs etc.

ExtremeMMA
Honored Guest
I'm interested in pre-ordering the Rift, but I'm not sure if my computer meets the minimum requirements. I'm not a comp expert so I was hoping if anyone could help. I have a Dell Inspiron One 2330. Will this work? Thanks in advance

Bornslyasafox
Honored Guest
I just need a straight answer because everyone I have asked is beating around the bush, will I be able to play Xbox One games on it? No not on VR but just being able to hook it up and play a game on my face. If I could have an answer that would be nice. If it does allow me to play games such as Fallout with out the virtual reality portion, how does it connect to the Xbox. Any help will work.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Bornslyasafox" wrote:
I just need a straight answer because everyone I have asked is beating around the bush, will I be able to play Xbox One games on it? No not on VR but just being able to hook it up and play a game on my face. If I could have an answer that would be nice. If it does allow me to play games such as Fallout with out the virtual reality portion, how does it connect to the Xbox. Any help will work.

No

arcturuzz
Honored Guest
Does your monitor matter? Since effectively you're connecting the rift straight to the GPU. If you have a horrible monitor will it affect the rift gameplay/frame rates in any way?

Eshleb
Honored Guest
I have an Nvidia GTX 960M, and Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 integrated. Will this be enough to run the Rift on medium quality? On low? On high?

omega53
Explorer
"Eshel56765" wrote:
I have an Nvidia GTX 960M, and Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 integrated. Will this be enough to run the Rift on medium quality? On low? On high?

I seriously doubt it. A 960m is pretty low end compared to desktop GPUs. I imagine a highly overclocked 980m would be the bare minimum for laptop VR. A full blown 980 laptop would be ideal.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Sorry, mobile chips (i.e. ending with "m") will NOT WORK. You need a desktop GTX 970 or better.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Captain_Curt
Honored Guest
I am so pumped that it's finally here!

peihound
Protege
Will there be any restrictions on how many units you can order?
There are two people who want one each in our house, will it be possible to order two at once or does each person need to place an order each?

cheers.