New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Comments

• I'm interested in pre-ordering the Rift, but I'm not sure if my computer meets the minimum requirements. I'm not a comp expert so I was hoping if anyone could help. I have a Dell Inspiron One 2330. Will this work? Thanks in advance
  • I just need a straight answer because everyone I have asked is beating around the bush, will I be able to play Xbox One games on it? No not on VR but just being able to hook it up and play a game on my face. If I could have an answer that would be nice. If it does allow me to play games such as Fallout with out the virtual reality portion, how does it connect to the Xbox. Any help will work.
  • adamdk2adamdk2 Posts: 84
    I just need a straight answer because everyone I have asked is beating around the bush, will I be able to play Xbox One games on it? No not on VR but just being able to hook it up and play a game on my face. If I could have an answer that would be nice. If it does allow me to play games such as Fallout with out the virtual reality portion, how does it connect to the Xbox. Any help will work.

No
    Win 7 64bit SP1 | Z77A-G43 | i5 3570k OC to 4.4 | 8gb 2133 RAM | 970 GTX | Intel 240gb SSD | Fanatec CSR | Fanatec CSR Pedals | Oculus Rift DK2
  • Does your monitor matter? Since effectively you're connecting the rift straight to the GPU. If you have a horrible monitor will it affect the rift gameplay/frame rates in any way?
  • Eshel56765Eshel56765 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I have an Nvidia GTX 960M, and Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 integrated. Will this be enough to run the Rift on medium quality? On low? On high?
  • omega53omega53 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Eshel56765 wrote:
    I have an Nvidia GTX 960M, and Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 integrated. Will this be enough to run the Rift on medium quality? On low? On high?

I seriously doubt it. A 960m is pretty low end compared to desktop GPUs. I imagine a highly overclocked 980m would be the bare minimum for laptop VR. A full blown 980 laptop would be ideal.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Sorry, mobile chips (i.e. ending with "m") will NOT WORK. You need a desktop GTX 970 or better.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Captain_CurtCaptain_Curt Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I am so pumped that it's finally here!
  • peihoundpeihound Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Will there be any restrictions on how many units you can order?
    There are two people who want one each in our house, will it be possible to order two at once or does each person need to place an order each?

cheers.
  • ruffsnapruffsnap Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Sorry, mobile chips (i.e. ending with "m") will NOT WORK. You need a desktop GTX 970 or better.

*It's RECOMMENDED to have a desktop GTX 970 or better.

Right? I have a GTX 760 and it's handled everything I've thrown at it with the DK2. I know the upcoming Oculus is going to have higher requirements, but I'm assuming my 760 is still going to be able to deal with it..
    No, the 760 is probably not good enough.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • LKostyraLKostyra Posts: 263
    rrpjdisc wrote:

*It's RECOMMENDED to have a desktop GTX 970 or better.

Right? I have a GTX 760 and it's handled everything I've thrown at it with the DK2. I know the upcoming Oculus is going to have higher requirements, but I'm assuming my 760 is still going to be able to deal with it..
    I was wondering the same thing. However, I seriously doubt it will give you a comfortable VR experience.

I will change my GPU to a new one (from GTX 760) whenever I will get an info that my CV1 is on the way. I recommend to do the same thing. ;)
    DK1: Received
    DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received
    CV1: (Jan 6) Pending
    Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 568
    Trinity
    Thats why i switched from a 770 4gb SLI to a single G1 980ti u.u
  • Sorry, mobile chips (i.e. ending with "m") will NOT WORK. You need a desktop GTX 970 or better.

Will NOT work, or is NOT RECOMMENDED. Are you referring to the CV1?

I'm kind of sick of people saying IT WONT WORK on mobile GPUs when so many people are doing are running DK2 perfectly fine on 980M machines. I have a 980M rig without Optimus and it has run the DK2 fine before.

Is there any specific reason you're saying it wont work? Or do just mean it's not recommended because the performance is not up to standard even though it would still technically run?
  • smilertoosmilertoo Posts: 268
    Hiro Protagonist
    Not recommended, anything that can run the relevant directx should work...you might just end up with a slideshow.
    There are some select cases it may work, but for the most part it won't at all. And, even assuming it's compatible, the performance is not there to the level the consumer Rift needs. It's easier to just say no rather than give people false hope when it will likely be a bad experience.
  • ruffsnapruffsnap Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    It's easier to just say no rather than give people false hope when it will likely be a bad experience.

I meann..if it works, it works, albeit however crappily.

I would say honesty is better than trying to squash "false hope". It just seems like you're talking in such absolutes and like NO, NOTHING below a 970 will work, when that's seems to not be the case (at least not wholly).

Edit: I mean from a PR/sales perspective, you're making the right move, as I'm assuming you're trying to minimize cases of unhappy customers who buy the rift tomorrow, and suddenly are screaming for a refund, but we're in forums here, not a news story, so you can be a little more relaxed :D
  • chtanchtan Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    I think the one giving the problem is the optimus driver & hardware. As long as yours doesn't have it you should be fine. My Clevo P337SM-A running a pair of GTX970M hopefully can handle its requirement adequately as 2 GTX970M is almost on par with 1 single desktop GTX980.
  • There are some select cases it may work, but for the most part it won't at all. And, even assuming it's compatible, the performance is not there to the level the consumer Rift needs. It's easier to just say no rather than give people false hope when it will likely be a bad experience.

Talking from experience here. I have an Asus RoG with the 980m and it ran everything quite well with the DK2. I was kinda expecting the consumer release version to run at least as well, or better with the same hardware due to optimizations that were promised. I guess time will tell.

The only time I had stuttering was when running Elite Dangerous on high res with the DK2 and the higher AA settings to help with screen door effect...but I kinda expected the stuttering because ED was not totally compatible with the Rift and you had to run it in extended monitor mode (not ideal). To this day ED still doesn't officially support the rift even though it's probably the best game/experience for the rift there is out there. That just boggles my mind and is some sever eball dropping by ED folks....I almost wish the rift came with ED bundled and not EVE but anyways I haven't tried it yet so it might be good...teasers look cool but lot of wiz bang happening might be too much for some. ED is more "sit back and enjoy the ride" :-)

Disclaimer: My positive experience with the DK2 + 980m in no way certifies that the final version of rift will run as well!!

Cheers!
  • sottisotti Posts: 280
    Art3mis
    Assuming no optimus, the number you're looking for is something >9000 in 3d mark firestrike.
  • chtanchtan Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Actually, if you did a benchmark with Firestrike before, you can login and see your result there along with the Oculus recommended spec.(9271) together. My notebook is above the required spec. at 10802.
  • Ruszek83Ruszek83 Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    @cybereality
    You did try CV1... what GPU by your estimate will it take to run P.Cars of Elite Dangerous smoothly on max settings?
  • sabyyysabyyy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Ruszek83 wrote:
    @cybereality
    You did try CV1... what GPU by your estimate will it take to run P.Cars of Elite Dangerous smoothly on max settings?

You wont get an answer other than the link to the specs stating 970 or higher. And this is without negativity. I would do the same.
  • omega53omega53 Posts: 6
    NerveGear

I believe you are incorrect in that assessment. I have my 980M overvolted and overclocked to the point of outscoring a 970 in every synthetic benchmark.
  • LKostyraLKostyra Posts: 263
    sabyyy wrote:
    Ruszek83 wrote:
    @cybereality

You wont get an answer other than the link to the specs stating 970 or higher. And this is without negativity. I would do the same.
    This actually depends. P.Cars and E:D are not titles which release together with the Rift. Thus, their specs probably will be different (on Frontier page recommended E:D specs for VR is a GTX 980, not GTX 970).
    DK1: Received
    DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received
    CV1: (Jan 6) Pending
    Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM
  • vincehkvincehk Posts: 25
    omega53 wrote:

I believe you are incorrect in that assessment. I have my 980M overvolted and overclocked to the point of outscoring a 970 in every synthetic benchmark.

I believe that the architecture of a desktop graphics card slightly differs from a mobile one. Overclocking is just tweaking numbers, and benchmarks...are just numbers too.
  • sabyyysabyyy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    LKostyra wrote:
    sabyyy wrote:
    Ruszek83 wrote:
    @cybereality

This actually depends. P.Cars and E:D are not titles which release together with the Rift. Thus, their specs probably will be different (on Frontier page recommended E:D specs for VR is a GTX 980, not GTX 970).

That's true. Some titles may need stronger hw others may be able to go with weaker. My point is that I dont think you can expect cyber to deviate from the officially recommended specs. Especially because I think that for example ED should work with a 970 if you lower the settigs enough. Maybe you do not even have to lower them too much. We dont know yet.
  • I've enlisted the help of my good friend Rodney McKay, to build a ZPM to power our own OC'd 780Ti. We expect to have the finest OR experiences possible.

Sorry in advance if we destroy your universe.
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    well im running Elite on 2 970s in SLI. with only one 970 it stutters a lot when you are inside of a station, so much that it makes you nauseous actually
  • wiliamtelwiliamtel Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    $599! Wow! Too rich for me. Maybe the 2nd generation.