cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

sotti
Protege
Assuming no optimus, the number you're looking for is something >9000 in 3d mark firestrike.

chtan
Protege
Actually, if you did a benchmark with Firestrike before, you can login and see your result there along with the Oculus recommended spec.(9271) together. My notebook is above the required spec. at 10802.

Ruszek83
Protege
@cybereality
You did try CV1... what GPU by your estimate will it take to run P.Cars of Elite Dangerous smoothly on max settings?

sabyyy
Protege
"Ruszek83" wrote:
@cybereality
You did try CV1... what GPU by your estimate will it take to run P.Cars of Elite Dangerous smoothly on max settings?

You wont get an answer other than the link to the specs stating 970 or higher. And this is without negativity. I would do the same.

omega53
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
Sorry, mobile chips (i.e. ending with "m") will NOT WORK. You need a desktop GTX 970 or better.

I believe you are incorrect in that assessment. I have my 980M overvolted and overclocked to the point of outscoring a 970 in every synthetic benchmark.

LKostyra
Protege
"sabyyy" wrote:
"Ruszek83" wrote:
@cybereality

You wont get an answer other than the link to the specs stating 970 or higher. And this is without negativity. I would do the same.

This actually depends. P.Cars and E:D are not titles which release together with the Rift. Thus, their specs probably will be different (on Frontier page recommended E:D specs for VR is a GTX 980, not GTX 970).
DK1: Received DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received CV1: (Jan 6) Pending Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM

vincehk
Honored Guest
"omega53" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:
Sorry, mobile chips (i.e. ending with "m") will NOT WORK. You need a desktop GTX 970 or better.

I believe you are incorrect in that assessment. I have my 980M overvolted and overclocked to the point of outscoring a 970 in every synthetic benchmark.

I believe that the architecture of a desktop graphics card slightly differs from a mobile one. Overclocking is just tweaking numbers, and benchmarks...are just numbers too.

sabyyy
Protege
"LKostyra" wrote:
"sabyyy" wrote:
"Ruszek83" wrote:
@cybereality

This actually depends. P.Cars and E:D are not titles which release together with the Rift. Thus, their specs probably will be different (on Frontier page recommended E:D specs for VR is a GTX 980, not GTX 970).

That's true. Some titles may need stronger hw others may be able to go with weaker. My point is that I dont think you can expect cyber to deviate from the officially recommended specs. Especially because I think that for example ED should work with a 970 if you lower the settigs enough. Maybe you do not even have to lower them too much. We dont know yet.

Stapledon
Honored Guest
I've enlisted the help of my good friend Rodney McKay, to build a ZPM to power our own OC'd 780Ti. We expect to have the finest OR experiences possible.

Sorry in advance if we destroy your universe.

Anonymous
Not applicable
well im running Elite on 2 970s in SLI. with only one 970 it stutters a lot when you are inside of a station, so much that it makes you nauseous actually