cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$599 converts to 699€? (UPDATE: total 741€)

Anonymous
Not applicable
seriously? this should be 550€

i paid $130 for shipping and taxes for the DK2, does that mean I'll end up with something like 800€ with shipping and taxes?

UPDATE: It now says TAX is included and including shipping it will total approximately 741€

UPDATE2: Oculus community manager cybereality has confirmed that the EU prices include VAT (sales tax), so we only have to pay extra for shipping and customs.

"cybereality" wrote:
The EU price includes VAT, so the base cost is similar to the US.

$599 convert to 556.95€ right now. As an example the german sales tax of 19% would raise that to 662,77€. On top of that we have shipping (probably $40 or more) and customs, which can be 0% to 14%. So yeah, 740€ seems about right to me.
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
where does it say that?

irishd15
Honored Guest
Did I miss the part that said this was a US ONLY launch ? .... because the listed prices for europe are a joke

RedNax
Protege
On the order in order history

sabyyy
Protege
I have always been like I don't care anything about the vive but now I am definately going to wait and see what they have to offer and not jump into this.

I will have to wait more and in the end I may choose oculus but until today I have never even thought about a vive as an option.

Or I may even quit this VR thing for now and check back in 1-2 years.

dudiefluke
Explorer
I think its more to do with sales tax/VAT rather than conversion rates. VAT in Europe is 20% or more but in the US the highest rate is only around 9%.
Still a disappointing price though.

maxdreamland
Honored Guest
keep in mind that the $599 does NOT include sales tax where the 699€ DOES include sales tax.

Anonymous
Not applicable
well now I'm not so sure anymore. maybe it will be more than 741€. the order confirmation email says:

Items:

Oculus Rift (€699.00 ) x 1 = €699.00

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit.

Order Total: €741.00

toumash
Honored Guest
This has been the case since .. like forever. Some shining examples: Playstation consoles - they are/were always +100-200€ more expensive here. New games? +50% more expensive. We Europoors get no mercy. Those who make decisions do not seem to understand that while Swiss and Britbongs make over €3k/month easily there are literally 3rd world countries in this club.

Take for example Lithuania, their average income is €589/month (no wonder it was excluded from the preorder list, those who have the money have other ways getting this luxury item).

EU average income map

Bergen
Explorer
"maxdreamland" wrote:
keep in mind that the $599 does NOT include sales tax where the 699€ DOES include sales tax.
Yes I also figured something like that must be the cause.. plus customs duty maybe.

But I expected it to be around €300-€400 euro and now it's €741. :cry:

Weyland
Honored Guest
Sales tax is 25% in Sweden so €699 is perfectly normal for a $599 product considering one USD is roughly 0.9 EUR right now.

In Europe (or at least in Sweden) all prices to consumers must be displayed including the sales tax, which seems to be the opposite in USA, and that is likely the reason you get confused and upset for literally no reason.

The additional €44 is shipping, a bit excessive maybe but shipping larger boxes across continents was never cheap unless you liked waiting 4-8 weeks extra.