$599 converts to 699€? (UPDATE: total 741€) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

$599 converts to 699€? (UPDATE: total 741€)

KHANKHAN Posts: 29
Brain Burst
edited January 2016 in General
seriously? this should be 550€

i paid $130 for shipping and taxes for the DK2, does that mean I'll end up with something like 800€ with shipping and taxes?

UPDATE: It now says TAX is included and including shipping it will total approximately 741€

UPDATE2: Oculus community manager cybereality has confirmed that the EU prices include VAT (sales tax), so we only have to pay extra for shipping and customs.
The EU price includes VAT, so the base cost is similar to the US.

$599 convert to 556.95€ right now. As an example the german sales tax of 19% would raise that to 662,77€. On top of that we have shipping (probably $40 or more) and customs, which can be 0% to 14%. So yeah, 740€ seems about right to me.

Comments

• m0biusm0bius Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah, didn't you know the dollar jumped ahead of the Euro? You guys are our new Canada!
  • B03SB03S Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Insane USDEUR conversion :x
  • 699€ + shipping. Got to be kidding me.

Guess i'll have to make due with the dk2.
  • MagrothJMagrothJ Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Yeah it's completely ludicrous. I was actually set on pre-ordering one if it was at least in the 500-600€ range, but this is so silly. I don't even want to know what the shipping cost will be.
  • 699€ - without shipping, without taxes?

Are you f serious? :twisted:

Combined and converted to USD that would be in the 900-950$ range !

F O R G E T I T!
  • JotscheJotsche Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    I realy crazy , and buy all new stuff but 699 + Shipping to Germany ?! no way thats to crazy i am out !!

Good Night VR !
  • Oculus failed so hard. Furthermore, they're betraying Europeans. Just a rip-off, nothing else. Good luck to all developers for developing games for maybe 100k sold CV1s. Honestly, why would people develop games for CV1 when they could develop games for Android with a few hundred million devices...
  • ShotgunEmmetShotgunEmmet Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I cannot understand the addition of €142 ($152).
    This would be on top of the customs and shipping costs that would ultimately bring the cost up to nearly €900.

I held off on the kickstarter €350 as Palmer Luckey said only to purchase if a serious about developing for it
    (I would only have ported one of my Unity demos, nothing serious)

This is too much, I would pay €600 without complaint, but that is too rich considering I will be spending €1200-€1500 on a PC that can run it.

I'll probably hold off until its in shops.
  • RedNaxRedNax Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    timo2811 wrote:
    699€ - without shipping, without taxes?

Are you f serious? :twisted:

Combined and converted to USD that would be in the 900-950$ range !

F O R G E T I T!

It clearly says: "You'll be charged when your order ships. Tax is included in order total."

So no surprises at the door...
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    where does it say that?
  • Did I miss the part that said this was a US ONLY launch ? .... because the listed prices for europe are a joke
  • RedNaxRedNax Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 2016
    On the order in order history

riftorder.jpg
  • sabyyysabyyy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    I have always been like I don't care anything about the vive but now I am definately going to wait and see what they have to offer and not jump into this.

I will have to wait more and in the end I may choose oculus but until today I have never even thought about a vive as an option.

Or I may even quit this VR thing for now and check back in 1-2 years.
  • dudieflukedudiefluke Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    I think its more to do with sales tax/VAT rather than conversion rates. VAT in Europe is 20% or more but in the US the highest rate is only around 9%.
    Still a disappointing price though.
  • maxdreamlandmaxdreamland Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    keep in mind that the $599 does NOT include sales tax where the 699€ DOES include sales tax.
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    well now I'm not so sure anymore. maybe it will be more than 741€. the order confirmation email says:
    Items:

Oculus Rift (€699.00 ) x 1 = €699.00

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees: Applicable shipping, taxes and duties will be added to and charged in your payment upon shipment of the unit.

Order Total: €741.00
  • This has been the case since .. like forever. Some shining examples: Playstation consoles - they are/were always +100-200€ more expensive here. New games? +50% more expensive. We Europoors get no mercy. Those who make decisions do not seem to understand that while Swiss and Britbongs make over €3k/month easily there are literally 3rd world countries in this club.

Take for example Lithuania, their average income is €589/month (no wonder it was excluded from the preorder list, those who have the money have other ways getting this luxury item).

EU average income map
  • BergenBergen Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    keep in mind that the $599 does NOT include sales tax where the 699€ DOES include sales tax.
    Yes I also figured something like that must be the cause.. plus customs duty maybe.

But I expected it to be around €300-€400 euro and now it's €741. :cry:
  • WeylandWeyland Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited January 2016
    Sales tax is 25% in Sweden so €699 is perfectly normal for a $599 product considering one USD is roughly 0.9 EUR right now.

In Europe (or at least in Sweden) all prices to consumers must be displayed including the sales tax, which seems to be the opposite in USA, and that is likely the reason you get confused and upset for literally no reason.

The additional €44 is shipping, a bit excessive maybe but shipping larger boxes across continents was never cheap unless you liked waiting 4-8 weeks extra.
  • galopingalopin Posts: 355
    Nexus 6
    It is not $599 versus 699eur, it is $599+tax versus 699eur to be fair, so closer to $660. But Europe citizens remains the milk cow of the world anyway.
  • kongkingkongking Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    I wonder how all of your faces looked when you saw the price. I bet they were priceless:)
  • WeylandWeyland Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Bergen wrote:
    Yes I also figured something like that must be the cause.. plus customs duty maybe.

But I expected it to be around €300-€400 euro and now it's €741. :cry:

You expected a US product that would cost MORE than $350 excluding VAT to be €300-400 including VAT and shipping across continents?

If it was sold at $400 (the lowest price ever speculated) it would be €435-€475 + shipping so in total around €500 (based on European sales tax being between 17-27% depending on nation according to Wikipedia).
  • BergenBergen Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Weyland wrote:
    You expected a US product that would cost MORE than $350 excluding VAT to be €300-400 including VAT and shipping across continents?

If it was sold at $400 (the lowest price ever speculated) it would be €435-€475 + shipping so in total around €500 (based on European sales tax being between 17-27% depending on nation according to Wikipedia).
    The "lowest price ever speculated" was not $400, but $300. That's the target Oculus set themselves initially, years ago. (see google)

I had not followed price speculations since then, so I naively figured that adding VAT and shipping (100 or so) it would be something like €400.

Oh well. Ordered one anyway. :D
  • 599$=555€
    699-22% VAT(ITALY) = 545€

SHIP=741-699=42
  • TgaudTgaud Posts: 788
    maxresdefault.jpg

Its OVER 699 !! :mrgreen:
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • TgaudTgaud Posts: 788

Not really.
    It doest 556euros withtout VAT.

in france with the tva 20%
    -> 667euros.

U get an extra 32euros. without any justification.
    + a confortable 42euro shipping cost, even if the transport for europe will probably be from UK and not from USA.
  • schmeltzerschmeltzer Posts: 298
    Art3mis
    I didn't get an order confirmation email and in my order histrory I see that I ordered 1 Rift. Hoewever, no pricing is mentioned, no taxes nothing. Should I be worried cybereality? (ps: I am from Holland, no idea what the taxes would be).
  • OutatimeTVOutatimeTV Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    It seems that the European price of 699 Euro includes the highest European sales tax of 27% ! :shock:

In Germany we have 19%. So the price should be less than 699 Euro. That's really unfair. :evil:
  • DosperadoDosperado Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    OutatimeTV wrote:
    It seems that the European price of 699 Euro includes the highest European sales tax of 27% ! :shock:

In Germany we have 19%. So the price should be less than 699 Euro. That's really unfair. :evil:

Its not only VAT!!

You forgot the customs tax (for electronics here in Germany between ca. 3 and 7%)!!

And usually you pay the VAT on the device price + shipping costs!!