cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

wiliamtel
Honored Guest
$599! Wow! Too rich for me. Maybe the 2nd generation.

ten10
Protege
When i put it in the shopping cart, it does show suddenly a price of 59900 Dollars - no decimal point. So i'm not finishing the purchase, since i don't want to have this huge bill on my credit card ...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did anyone else get that 3 - 4 minute issue where the sale page wouldn't come up? Even the forum stopped working for a few minutes there. It was like purchasing a Javelin destroyer from CIG.

- Paradox

Bcoll
Honored Guest
How much!!!! Your kidding right!! 350 or there abouts they said...No way am i paying 700 plus euros thanks!! Also its 700 euros WITHOUT shipping costs for Europe. How dose that work?? cos at a price of 600 dollars with the exchange rate should be around 640 euros?? I want to pre order today but ill wait to see what the HTC vive costs i think....Really disappointed!!

Shodan
Honored Guest
Conversion rates for countries outside the US seem screwed.

UK shows as 499 pounds. That's the equivalent of $750 (not 600) at the current exchange rate. Mark up of approximately 150 dollars and then you'd have to add shipping (50-100) and import taxes (+20%).
Europe shows as 699 euros. That's the equivalent of $730 dollars (not 600) at current exchange rate, so a markup of approximately 130 dollars, again before shipping and import taxes (+21%).

As both a DK1 and DK2 owner that is incredibly disappointing.

grimdar
Expert Protege
I had my alarm set this morning so I could quickly get an order in.. after seeing the price I realized there was no rush :lol: I would be really surprised if pre-orders ran out with that pricing. It's probably worth it though, although I'm sure many will not be able to afford it.

Looking forward to getting my third rift 8-)

Kr55
Explorer
$914.00 CAD with shipping. Ouch, failing CAD is no fun. Kevin O'Leary calls CAD the "Dollarette". I agree with him today.

YoLolo69
Trustee
I leave the VR train, ouch!, price is amazingly surprisingly insane for my bank account. I believed, I wanted to believe! I sold my DK2 a month ago to have enough money as first price announced months ago was around 350$. Ouch!, what a punch in my faces ! and Euros conversion, without taxes, already at 699 Euros! ouch!

Now I really hope they will be enough persons who can pay for the CV1 to be able to create a market and have next generations coming at a casual consumer prices, or VR will dye in coming months.

Go guys, buy it for me, buy a lot! I have to wait some years now! 😉

And what about game studios who created game for this high price device? Ouch for them! hope they will survive...

Did I said ouch?

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

houndazs
Honored Guest
I have 2 HD 7970's in Cross-Fire and an overclocked i7-3930k (4.7GHz) and their "tool" says I'm not compatible. Also it says my ASMedia USB 3.0 won't work? What gives.......

ruffsnap
Honored Guest
"ten10" wrote:
When i put it in the shopping cart, it does show suddenly a price of 59900 Dollars - no decimal point. So i'm not finishing the purchase, since i don't want to have this huge bill on my credit card ...

I would assume they will have those things sorted out by March, so you should be safe.

Nothing should be showing up on your credit card until March.
"Livin' life as it is." www.rrpjdisc.com