cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Look at the Rift, Shipping Q1 2016

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
Since the earliest days of the Oculus Kickstarter, the Rift has been shaped by gamers, backers, developers, and enthusiasts around the world. Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that the Oculus Rift will be shipping to consumers in Q1 2016, with pre-orders later this year.

The Rift delivers on the dream of consumer VR with compelling content, a full ecosystem, and a fully-integrated hardware/software tech stack designed specifically for virtual reality. It’s a system designed by a team of extremely passionate gamers, developers, and engineers to reimagine what gaming can be.

A first look at what the world can expect in Q1 2016

The Oculus Rift builds on the presence, immersion, and comfort of the Crescent Bay prototype with an improved tracking system that supports both seated and standing experiences, as well as a highly refined industrial design, and updated ergonomics for a more natural fit.

A peek inside the Oculus Rift

In the weeks ahead, we’ll be revealing the details around hardware, software, input, and many of our unannounced made-for-VR games and experiences coming to the Rift. Next week, we’ll share more of the technical specifications here on the Oculus blog.

Virtual reality is going to transform gaming, film, entertainment, communication, and much more. If you’re interested in building a next-generation VR game or application, everything you need to start developing for the Rift is available at the Oculus Developer Center.

E3 is just around the corner — this is only the beginning.

– The Oculus Team
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
507 REPLIES 507

Kr55
Explorer
"houndazs" wrote:
I have 2 HD 7970's in Cross-Fire and an overclocked i7-3930k (4.7GHz) and their "tool" says I'm not compatible. Also it says my ASMedia USB 3.0 won't work? What gives.......

Same result for me with the USB 3.0 ports. Guess my motherboard doesn't support the transfer rates they want. Could take a risk just using them and hoping it still works, or you can get a USB 3.0 PCI-E expansion card. Make sure it says 5 Gbps rate per port (some will advertise it as "SuperSpeed"). This is one that everyone keeps bringing up on here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW

benjybobs
Honored Guest
I came home and saw £500 and not including shipping and tax, so how much will it really cost, then I looked at the package, I were hoping to see an option of buying two sensors. I saw the games it is shipping with and i were expecting first person and occulus studio content too. I look at the price of an xbox one pad and think, dam that is an expensive head set, which I don't even know the true price including tax and shipping. The bit that hurts me is I've never tried one and no way to test it. The pre order date for me will probably be later on shipping. For me at the moment, it has put me off from buying as within the time I wait, I might get a chance to see what vive headset and cost will be. Don't get me wrong I want an Oculus definitely. It is just a huge costly gamble but I so want one. I can say I'm not happy as I'm dying to get my hands on it. I think I'll wait, I wouldn't be suprised on how many others think the same, I really feel like I'd be paying for all the developers free one's they will be getting free. I've already spent £1200 on gpu alone and also considering a new motherboard. I feel robbed, even though I haven't paid anything yet. I do feel happy for supporting the development that has taken place but it were rumoured at 350-500, add tax and shipping and I got motion sickness. I will wait till I know more of what I wish to know. Sorry Oculus, if it were the price after shipping I would have considered it. Another thing is the shipping and pre-order of the touch, Maybe I should wait and get it all shipped together at a better cost for all in one shipping. I so want one though 😞 I think you should do better to try and convince me.

houndazs
Honored Guest
Same result for me with the USB 3.0 ports. Guess my motherboard doesn't support the transfer rates they want. Could take a risk just using them and hoping it still works, or you can get a USB 3.0 PCI-E expansion card. Make sure it says 5 Gbps rate per port (some will advertise it as "SuperSpeed"). This is one that everyone keeps bringing up on here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW

My PCIe x1 is taken up by my Wi-Fi adapter, FML. The other is taken up by my dual-length GPU........I think this may be an excuse to upgrade IF it doesn't work out of the box....

reBoot185
Honored Guest
i'm certainly it will be amazing in 2-3 years when the price is more reasonable. for now.. what's with the **** headphones? you'd save 100$ commercial if you took that garbage off

you'd save 100$ commercial if you let us buy our own controller

you'd save 100$ commercial if you go back to the garbage cardboard boxes...

now we're back to the normal overpriced amount..

i'm certain you could simply be decent people and make 50$ profit instead of 150$

so now the price is $200 and that's about the price it should be for all this plastic and wiring.. sucks so many people are willing to pay so much extra for new technology they'll use for an hour a week or less..

my DK2 is great but i don't have the time to use it.. i'd love to make a conversion to rift instead of monitor but i think i'll go with google cardboard items and trinus simply to try to get oculus to stop being so greedy..

fishhunt
Expert Protege
cost off this unit to much,i bet you will still get the screen door effect,not as much as the dk2

Zimtower
Expert Protege
Does anyone know if the GTX Titan Z meets the minimum requirements? If not, I'll have to resell mine and buy something beefy.

philipmullis
Honored Guest
I don't know if anyones had there hands on this at ces 2016 or the last round of dev kits.
Ive had the dk1/dk2s in the past, and price is not an issue. The one big question I have,

is the damn screen door effect completely gone, and you see the pixels still?

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
"philipmullis" wrote:

is the damn screen door effect completely gone, and you see the pixels still?

I've saw some video on youtube were pretti much everyone who tried it said that the screen door effect is gone or reduced a-lot.

I'm just HOPING they sell enough rift's to give the devs a market... if they made it, we have invested our money in a freeking awesome future, if they dont, well, we just tossed a lot of money from the window...

Tredien
Honored Guest
What about the countries not present on the pre-order dropdown list?

Locksmith
Explorer
"Zimtower" wrote:
Does anyone know if the GTX Titan Z meets the minimum requirements? If not, I'll have to resell mine and buy something beefy.

ROFLMAO 🙂