cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$599 converts to 699€? (UPDATE: total 741€)

Anonymous
Not applicable
seriously? this should be 550€

i paid $130 for shipping and taxes for the DK2, does that mean I'll end up with something like 800€ with shipping and taxes?

UPDATE: It now says TAX is included and including shipping it will total approximately 741€

UPDATE2: Oculus community manager cybereality has confirmed that the EU prices include VAT (sales tax), so we only have to pay extra for shipping and customs.

"cybereality" wrote:
The EU price includes VAT, so the base cost is similar to the US.

$599 convert to 556.95€ right now. As an example the german sales tax of 19% would raise that to 662,77€. On top of that we have shipping (probably $40 or more) and customs, which can be 0% to 14%. So yeah, 740€ seems about right to me.
38 REPLIES 38

Dosperado
Honored Guest
"OutatimeTV" wrote:
It seems that the European price of 699 Euro includes the highest European sales tax of 27% ! :shock:

In Germany we have 19%. So the price should be less than 699 Euro. That's really unfair. :evil:

Its not only VAT!!

You forgot the customs tax (for electronics here in Germany between ca. 3 and 7%)!!

And usually you pay the VAT on the device price + shipping costs!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have never posted before but have visited this forum often to see new info about the OR, have been very enthusiastic about it but this price is too high. It's almost double the much talked about 350$ pricetage.

It comes to 844$cad for us poor suckers in Canada not including shipping etc....your going to lose a good chunk of us till this price goes down.

At this price point I have to consider just going full on projector simpit set up.

I have always stayed out, in fact never made an account till now, of the "hot topic" discussions here but seeing this today I just had to create an account and post my feedback.

OutatimeTV
Protege
Damn, you are right. Then it makes sense. 😉

But still the price is way to high. 😞

Hornet
Protege
Yes we europeans have to pay our politicians and all the crap....

And our roads are so looking:

Bergen
Explorer
Palmer Lucky in an interview on 30 September 2015:
http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-founder- ... price-350/

In an interview at Connect, I asked Luckey if the consumer Oculus Rift price would come in around that $350 ballpark target that had been discussed by the company long ago. His response is included here in full:

You know, I’m going to be perfectly honest with you. We’re roughly in that ballpark… but it’s going to cost more than that. [...]
$599 is nearly twice as much as $350, how is that 'roughly in the ballpark' of that? :roll:

Alans46
Honored Guest
I cant believe the price $599.00, plus upgrading the computer....what a jip...what a rip off

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK let's see,

$599 convert to 556.95€ right now. As an example the german sales tax of 19% would raise that to 662,77€. On top of that we have shipping (probably $40 or more) and customs, which can be 0% to 14%. So yeah, 740€ seems about right to me.

I'm not certain which customs fee applies here. I read somewhere that electronics with a value of more than $350 are duty free. But it could be that this onlys applies to cell phones. can anyone clear that up?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"cybereality" wrote:
The EU price includes VAT, so the base cost is similar to the US.

can you confirm if it includes customs as well? or does that come on top of those 741€ ?

przecinek
Rising Star
"Bergen" wrote:
Palmer Lucky in an interview on 30 September 2015:
http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-founder- ... price-350/

In an interview at Connect, I asked Luckey if the consumer Oculus Rift price would come in around that $350 ballpark target that had been discussed by the company long ago. His response is included here in full:

You know, I’m going to be perfectly honest with you. We’re roughly in that ballpark… but it’s going to cost more than that. [...]
$599 is nearly twice as much as $350, how is that 'roughly in the ballpark' of that? :roll:

IKR? I also belived this ballpark BS ... the right thing to say at that time was "unfortunately CV1 going to cost significantl more" or sth like that...

Maybe we should also pull out old interview with HHG where he said that it could be that Rift will cost 200$ to make ...