600 dollars is a Seriously. Bad. Mistake. - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

600 dollars is a Seriously. Bad. Mistake.

Comments

• sabyyysabyyy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    I do understand the argument that it is possible if you want it but personally the difference is that I do not want it THAT much. If you do I totally understand and do not see anything wrong in that.

However I think many others feel that they could afford it if they wanted but dont want it at that price.

I at least wait for now and see what happens (vive, reviews etc..) which was far from my plans until today.
  • Blyss4226 wrote:
    I am single yes, and I have only myself to think of as far as that. I wasn't judging anyone - I even said it in my post. I am not better than you or anyone. I was only sharing my opinion that if someone like me can manage to afford it, then it's not "out of reach." Sure, maybe those people have other priorities. That's fine. But they shouldn't attack Oculus like that's their fault. That is what I was saying.
    Well. I was very hyped for VR and it's not like that I couldn't afford to buy CV1 but it's not worth €750. That's insane. They wanted to bring VR to masses and they were talking about a price between 200 and 400 dollars. It's not their fault? It wouldn't have been their fault if they wanted to build a premium product but due to all they said they failed.

It doesn't even make sense to wait until the price drops because in two or three years CV2 will come out. Maybe they are selling 200k devices (max). Which game developer will produce high quality games when they are no customers (on PC side we have about 100 million devises, on mobile side even more). Developing for VR right now is just stupid. Sorry to say that but with every android game you can make more game.
  • grimdargrimdar Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    It's important to remember this is the first consumer iteration of a high end VR device.

Just like how brand new TV technology is very expensive at first, and the price drops dramatically over time. It's not very surprising. Early tech adoption has always been expensive.
  • CalistinCalistin Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Blyss4226 wrote:
    ..snip...

It's very simple your opinion has nothing to do with your being on disability past you using that as some form of argument or for pity points.

Anyways I have said my piece and either you get it or you don't.
  • GigantoadGigantoad Posts: 395
    Nexus 6
    Blyss4226 wrote:
    You don't know the choices I made so you can't fairly say that. I didn't give up food or bills or things like that. I simply chose to save money instead of buy games on Steam, or things I wanted in a store, and stuff like that. I have some extra income from a website I help(Trust me it's not much, less than 100 a month) with and did extra work there, and I saved that for nearly half a year.

What's wrong with that? I don't consider prioritizing wants severe at all.

Do you have a sufficiently fast PC though? Minimal specs are quite high.
  • davidjcdavidjc Posts: 356
    Yeah its way too expensive, ordering out of Germany here (American) and its well over 700 euros. Almost better to have bought it and shipped to the states, and then have my family send it to me via mail. I have my preorder in but not sure if I will keep it or not at the price it's currently sitting at.

Waiting on the Vive now.

I most certainly did not need a bundled Xbox controller, I already have one...not sure what they were thinking with that one. Or the remote
  • Blyss4226Blyss4226 Posts: 549
    Neo
    gabr1eL44 wrote:
    Blyss4226 wrote:
    I am single yes, and I have only myself to think of as far as that. I wasn't judging anyone - I even said it in my post. I am not better than you or anyone. I was only sharing my opinion that if someone like me can manage to afford it, then it's not "out of reach." Sure, maybe those people have other priorities. That's fine. But they shouldn't attack Oculus like that's their fault. That is what I was saying.
    Well. I was very hyped for VR and it's not like that I couldn't afford to buy CV1 but it's not worth €750. That's insane. They wanted to bring VR to masses and they were talking about a price between 200 and 400 dollars. It's not their fault? It wouldn't have been their fault if they wanted to build a premium product but due to all they said they failed.

It doesn't even make sense to wait until the price drops because in two or three years CV2 will come out. Maybe they are selling 200k devices (max). Which game developer will produce high quality games when they are no customers (on PC side we have about 100 million devises, on mobile side even more). Developing for VR right now is just stupid. Sorry to say that but with every android game you can make more game.

Yes I understand it from that perspective. But that's not "out of reach" that's "not worth it." And if you feel that way, yeah I understand it. As I said before, because there are a lot of real world things I can't do it's worth that for me. Yes they did mention some numbers but that was quite a while ago. The only recent one that this price point goes against is the "in the ballpark of 350" that I mentioned a while back. That is the only one I see as really relevant to the issue. Personally. Aside from that, people were asking Luckey YEARS ago to predict this. How could he? Perhaps they should have said more to prepare us for this price, I'll definitely agree to that. But it's unrealistic to expect them to know that so far in advance. For the other one - yeah that was a bit of BS. I imagine he didn't want to put people off, but I don't know him of course.

When I made my original post I was referring to the venom being spewed at Luckey on twitter mostly. Saying it's out of reach for all but the ultra rich and things like that. I really am brand new to these forums, I don't know much of what people are saying here.

Unrelated to this reply but I would say that if people took my original post the wrong way, I apologize. As I've said, I did not mean to look down on anyone or claim to be better than them or anything like that. But apparently some people took it that way. Trust me that is so not who I am.
    Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD
    Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD
  • mike997mike997 Posts: 21
    edited January 2016
    742 euros incl. shipping in the Netherlands, that's insane!

I preordered the DK1 and DK2 and spent a lot of time integrating Rift support into my engine and improving the support of it in frameworks, and this is the thanks? A much smaller userbase and having the developers that supported you pay almost twice as much as initially stated!?

If you would provide an option without the controller, remote, headphone and games for 400 euros incl. shipping I'd buy it without complaining. Now I need to buy it anyway to make sure my engine works with CR1 and be able to troubleshoot it if it isn't. That's nuts!
    Game in pre-alpha with support for Oculus Rift DK2 coming in the next patch, State of Fortune
  • shim2shim2 Posts: 480
    Nexus 6
    Wouldn't it be funny if Oculus release how many people pre-ordered on day 1 and the number end up being close to a million.

Would make just about everyone posting here look a bit silly.
    Neo
    Gigantoad wrote:
    Blyss4226 wrote:
    You don't know the choices I made so you can't fairly say that. I didn't give up food or bills or things like that. I simply chose to save money instead of buy games on Steam, or things I wanted in a store, and stuff like that. I have some extra income from a website I help(Trust me it's not much, less than 100 a month) with and did extra work there, and I saved that for nearly half a year.

What's wrong with that? I don't consider prioritizing wants severe at all.

Do you have a sufficiently fast PC though? Minimal specs are quite high.

Yes, given to me by my best friend earlier this year when he built a new rig. It's a little lacking, but it's close, and I hope to upgrade my GPU later this year if I can save for that.

i7 3770k @ 4.4Ghz, GTX 670 4GB with 30% OC, 8GB DDR3 1600, 256GB SSD

@Calistin

That's your opinion of what I wrote, not a fact. And if it is your opinion, you got the wrong impression. If I said that I got so little just by itself, I guarantee someone would ask what I did for a living to earn so little. If you took it the wrong way, I've already apologized several times. I'm done speaking on this point.
  • CuerexCuerex Posts: 16
    palmer says, tax are counted in as for now.. the payment system probably needs a bit refinement due to the massive load
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 735
    3Jane
    I just pre-ordered. I've been waiting 2 years to do so. I'm very excited. :D
    but the price has also left me feeling sick. :(

I congratulated the kickstarter backers on their free rift.....Now I feel like I paid for them.

All I wanted was the CV1 rift.

Not Xbox controller (and I defended these being added because Palmer stated it didn't inflate the price.), not the little remote, not Luckies Tail or even Eve and a cardboard box like the DK2 came in would also have been fine.
    Did I really just buy $200 worth of crap I don't want or need to get the unit I do?????????

I also just reserved the "Touch". Unless they thow them out at a very low price they can bloody stay reserved forever too.
    Brain Burst
    shim2 wrote:
    Wouldn't it be funny if Oculus release how many people pre-ordered on day 1 and the number end up being close to a million.

Would make just about everyone posting here look a bit silly.

My guess is they have limited ability to make enough units for the demand so have decided to make the price point higher knowing many will wait to order but expecting to still shear the sheep so to speak as some will pay regardless of price. I expect the price to eventually come down as sales slow down.
    Neo
    Bloodlet wrote:
    I just pre-ordered. I've been waiting 2 years to do so. I'm very excited. :D
    but the price has also left me feeling sick. :(

I congratulated the kickstarter backers on their free rift.....Now I feel like I paid for them.

All I wanted was the CV1 rift.

Not Xbox controller (and I defended these being added because Palmer stated it didn't inflate the price.), not the little remote, not Luckies Tail or even Eve and a cardboard box like the DK2 came in would also have been fine.
    Did I really just buy $200 worth of crap I don't want or need to get the unit I do?????????

I also just reserved the "Touch". Unless they thow them out at a very low price they can bloody stay reserved forever too.

Yeah that Xbox controller... no love for that. "We include it because we want to make sure gamers can play blah blah." Really? Apparently gamers can't find the local store if they somehow don't already have a controller. That controller irks me. I'm hocking mine on ebay, I have two controllers already.
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,300
    Trinity
    Stupid pricing. Absolutely stupid AND worse, uncalled for. Because no way in hell does it cost anything like that much to make the CV1 package! This is an arbitrary and greedy price point to earn cash back before the whole world does VR (right). Nothing more nothing less.

Only the stupid would invest in CV1 right now! It's barely much better than DK2 (and DK2 wasn't much fun in the end input wise thanks to using gamepads).

So yeah, even the most hardcore, with decent funds like myself are thinking 'no thanks' then something is wrong. Infected, oculus were infected by facebook just like anything else it touches and now we see the result of that. No "better" spec CV1 as promised by the FB buyout, no "at cost" CV1 as promised by the FB buyout, quite the opposite in both cases.

They don't care if you are happy btw, they just want your money. This is Facebook, when has facebook EVER really cared about users over money/adverts/data? :roll:

We were right all along about the FB buyout. No smiling oculus staff faces and sincere sounding promises could change fate.

Thanks facebook, thanks a million*

*or $800 as that's how much CV1 shipped to uk costs. :roll:
    EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,300
    Trinity
    Bloodlet wrote:

more like $350. The bill of materials for JUST the HMD isn't even half what they are charging.

Eve, Xbone pad, Luckys tale etc are not 'free' or even close to it, clearly. They've all been factored into the cost and are not about kickstarting great VR just about making money fast.

Don't fall for it. Even VR nuts like us have limits. CV1 isn't even that much better than DK2 (as a whole) because it doesn't even come with the one thing that would make it a game changer (touch) so without that it has no great FOV, res or eye tracking etc.. .so exactly WHAT other than bog standard 'dk' like VR are you trying to sell for such a high price oculus?

ok... enjoy the show kids, I'm off to buy a STEAM VR T-shirt and get on the GOOD GUYS team! laters yall!
    EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2016
    Sharpfish wrote:
    Bloodlet wrote:

more like $350. The bill of materials for JUST the HMD isn't even half what they are charging.

Eve, Xbone pad, Luckys tale etc are not 'free' or even close to it, clearly. They've all been factored into the cost and are not about kickstarting great VR just about making money fast.

Don't fall for it. Even VR nuts like us have limits. CV1 isn't even that much better than DK2 (as a whole) because it doesn't even come with the one thing that would make it a game changer (touch) so without that it has no great FOV, res or eye tracking etc.. .so exactly WHAT other than bog standard 'dk' like VR are you trying to sell for such a high price oculus?

ok... enjoy the show kids, I'm off to buy a STEAM VR T-shirt and get on the GOOD GUYS team! laters yall!

Indeed these bundles things are just a gimmick for inflated pricing. I just want the OR, not the gamepad or either of the two games. I was worried this might happen back when they said a gamepad would ship with it...seriously I am not going to play ED or any flight sims with a gamepad when I have a very nice HOTAS to use.
    Neo
    Sharpfish wrote:
    Bloodlet wrote:

I highly doubt Vive will beat this price by much, if it all. Even if they could - Oculus set the bar. Companies want to make money. They might undercut them a tad, but not much. Maybe the cost of the additional stuff at most. There is no need now. Why would they? If you think Oculus screwed their own headset(and I don't) then they've pretty much screwed VR. If I'm wrong then it's sad indeed. But only time will tell.
  • They should have go with different packages and various prices.

Basic packege only contains the Rift and so on.

Well, no Rift for me now. People seem not to realize, they wont see much Content with this thin Player Base.
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 588
    Nexus 6
    Let's face it. They have already sold out their stock. Shipping date is now: May. It will reach June or July soon enough.

So even with this crazy price, market so far seems to love it. They have killed a big portion of it - true, but people are still paying regardless. It's just such a steep increase from DK2 most of us have hard time explaining what went wrong.

I agree a bareback option: no games, no pads/remote/ cardboard box is what I would want right now. Also all this 700euro drama wouldn't happen if the price wouldn't be as high lol :roll:
  • Kr55Kr55 Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    So, I guess considering how the delivery date has shifted back multiple months a few hours into pre-orders, they did pick a decent price point.
    Neo
    Kr55 wrote:
    So, I guess considering how the delivery date has shifted back multiple months a few hours into pre-orders, they did pick a decent price point.

I agree. I wish more people would take that into consideration.

They put people off yes, but apparently it's still selling. From a business standpoint at least that makes it a sound decision. From this end, I'm sure some people are quite upset. But a business isn't a person. It doesn't care about our feelings. It wants to make money. If it didn't it wouldn't be a business very long.
  • DammitDammit Posts: 15
    I was super excited for CV1 leading up to this announcement. Don't care now. I've been waiting for quality VR since the 90's. I can keep waiting. All this time Oculus saying they were going to sell it as cheap as possible and make their money on the software... yeah right. I feel like I just got Obama'd. I'll spend that money on something else. By the time the price comes down to something realistic there will most likely be some competitors on the market anyway.
  • steveoz32steveoz32 Posts: 350
    Art3mis
    I agree, there was a group of five of us that were waiting to get the cv1. I'm the only person that has gone ahead (as far as I know) and I nearly gave up after all the errors in the store today.

I sols my dk2 a year ago, and continued with cardboard and playing around with streaming to mobile devices. For those wanting a taste of VR, mobile devices with a comfortable headset and a 360 controller with a cheap £3 otg cable gives a rest experience. Even vanguard V looks and plays real nice on lower powered mobiles.

The problem here is that all along Palmer and the team have set the expectation that the kit will be around the 350 price point.

It would seem they knew it would be an issue, why else would they not announce the price until people are there already geared up to order. At that point most people have already committed to getting it, and I bet you that a huge percentage of people who ordered did so whilst being unhappy and concerned with the price.

Yes they will have sold a lot of units today. But, I feel they may have lost a huge number of potential customers at this price point.

The people I know are going to continue to play with mobile vr. The display on the rift isn't even that much better than mid range handsets.

It's disappointing, I'm not sure why the price hike, but they did a bad job if managing the PR on this, I think a massive number of people will feel cheated. If they came clean on the price a while ago people could have got over it.
  • GigantoadGigantoad Posts: 395
    Nexus 6
    Hmm yeah the gamepad feels a bit strange now. Nobody would have cared if they threw that in for free (and maybe they did?), but with the high price the added fluff is upsetting. The package is nonsensical. On the one hand we have clearly enthusiast level pricing, on the other we have a controller included that no enthusiast is going to need, nor is a very good choice to control VR experiences to begin with. I've always preferred mouse/keyboard in VR so far, unless of course it was some cockpit/flying kind of thing. And naturally I already have a gamepad too.
  • McTurboMcTurbo Posts: 62
    Blyss4226 wrote:
    Kr55 wrote:

They put people off yes, but apparently it's still selling. From a business standpoint at least that makes it a sound decision. From this end, I'm sure some people are quite upset. But a business isn't a person. It doesn't care about our feelings. It wants to make money. If it didn't it wouldn't be a business very long.

it was always going to sell.. every developer, media market. entertainment show and tech blogger is going to be lined up to get one.. and then the enthusiast crowd is right in there with them... the question is .. how long will it sell for..and how many units... they hit 1 million units this month i will eat all the bitching i have done today and say damn.. its got a chance.. but i dont think it will get even close.. the price is just to high.. and that small base is going to have an impact in the long run for all of us.
  • pedrwpedrw Posts: 759
    Nexus 6
    Exactly. This wasn't $2B in funding. It was a payout to the owners and investors for Facebook to acquire Oculus.

The price surprised me, and it priced me out for this first release. Am I disappointed, yes. Will I still get a VR, yes. But I can happily wait 6-12 months and see what shakes out in the VR market. The price point made me reflect on whether I want to commit to the Rift early. You know what, I certainly will not have any buyers remorse like I did with my Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive. Let also remember, the first to market blu-ray player the Samsung BD-P1000 was released at $999, and there were a whole 5 movies available to watch. The high-end early adopter always pays a high price, and often doesn't get the most featured release.

There's still a whole 359 days left in 2016 to see what shakes out in the VR market folks.

Congratulation, you are the most conformist and boring person in the world! His prize is a shoe sole to lick! Bon appetit!
  • poitapoita Posts: 5
    Blyss4226 wrote:
    Kr55 wrote:

That is a shortsighted view I think. Sure, they may have 'sold out', but the price point is going to be a shock to the general public, and may stall VR adoption, which will make developers think twice before committing to development, and quite possibly kill VR as a viable platform.

The international pricing is also crazy, if you think 600 dollars is a mistake, try USD$800 for Australians, Europeans and Canadians. It just is not going to get enough sales for developers to commit to developing for the platform in any serious way.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,990 Valuable Player
    A very big mistake considering that you have to fork out probably another $100 for the Touch controllers in the Summer. :shock:

If HTC have the Vive retailing for 599 including their controllers then the Oculus Rift will be a flop of the highest order.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was only $599/£499/€699 but you've also got shipping and Customs charges on top of that too.

Going to be interesting to see what HTC do with their pricing now that they've seen the overwhelmingly bad feedback all over the internet.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • nobylspoonnobylspoon Posts: 198
    Art3mis
    No one will ever spend $600 on a consumer electronic...

V45H2C4l.jpg

Unless it comes with a trendy logo? Smart move rebranding to the simplistic logo, Oculus ;)
    Meerkat Gaming Dev

Klepto - Burglary Simulator
    Oculus WIP Thread || Steam Greenlight Page
    TightropeVR - 2015 VRJam Finalist
    [APK Download]
    Maze Roller
    Steam Greenlight || [DK2 DEMO] || [GearVR pending UE4 update]