cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600 dollars is a Seriously. Bad. Mistake.

thornfoot
Explorer
Although you will surely get 600 dollars out of me and the other early tech adopters, that price point is truly short sighted.

The general public is not going to want to buy a CV1 at that price -- and they are where the real money is at. You will grab an extra few million dollars profit out of the hardware while losing hundreds of millions in software sales.

That is where the people that have spent their time and effort making programs for the rift expect to make their money. You just cut their user base down significantly. That kind of pisses me off.

Oculus, you all but just handed the VR race to the Vive'. That just blows my mind.

The bad press you are about to receive is frightening to contemplate. It will definitely hurt if not outright destroy Oculus's reputation. It may even put a damper the whole VR revolution.
246 REPLIES 246

Blyss4226
Rising Star
"Calistin" wrote:
"shadowfrogger" wrote:
"Calistin" wrote:

While your situation sucks you made some pretty severe choices to get this. You should think about getting your priorities straight instead of telling others they have theirs wrong.

I wouldn't call saving hard a severe choice, it's not like they were not paying bills or forgoing food. If people want to spend a large number of hours on first then VR and are dedicated to saving for that. I don't see that as priorities not being straight. 1000hrs in VR (over 2-5 years) is equal to $1 dollar a hr.

Kudos to you not everyone agrees..I don't have a problem with that, What I do have a problem with is you using being on disability to look down and be condescending to others that don't agree with you because that is exactly what you did.

People reacting to this price point like they have is quite normal considering it's nearly double what was expected.

Nobody is looking down on you and I don't know where you keep getting that. Every time I say I'm on disability I get this BS and it's very rude. I should have just said I'm very poor and left it at that, I guess. You know there are people not on disability who make even less than I get? It's not about the disability, so please let that drop.

@willypat - that may be your opinion of the situation, but this thread is not about those politics. It's about the price of the Rift. So please lets not discuss on that any more in this thread.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

sabyyy
Protege
I do understand the argument that it is possible if you want it but personally the difference is that I do not want it THAT much. If you do I totally understand and do not see anything wrong in that.

However I think many others feel that they could afford it if they wanted but dont want it at that price.

I at least wait for now and see what happens (vive, reviews etc..) which was far from my plans until today.

gabr1eL44
Honored Guest
"Blyss4226" wrote:
I am single yes, and I have only myself to think of as far as that. I wasn't judging anyone - I even said it in my post. I am not better than you or anyone. I was only sharing my opinion that if someone like me can manage to afford it, then it's not "out of reach." Sure, maybe those people have other priorities. That's fine. But they shouldn't attack Oculus like that's their fault. That is what I was saying.
Well. I was very hyped for VR and it's not like that I couldn't afford to buy CV1 but it's not worth €750. That's insane. They wanted to bring VR to masses and they were talking about a price between 200 and 400 dollars. It's not their fault? It wouldn't have been their fault if they wanted to build a premium product but due to all they said they failed.

It doesn't even make sense to wait until the price drops because in two or three years CV2 will come out. Maybe they are selling 200k devices (max). Which game developer will produce high quality games when they are no customers (on PC side we have about 100 million devises, on mobile side even more). Developing for VR right now is just stupid. Sorry to say that but with every android game you can make more game.

grimdar
Expert Protege
It's important to remember this is the first consumer iteration of a high end VR device.

Just like how brand new TV technology is very expensive at first, and the price drops dramatically over time. It's not very surprising. Early tech adoption has always been expensive.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Blyss4226" wrote:
..snip...

It's very simple your opinion has nothing to do with your being on disability past you using that as some form of argument or for pity points.

Anyways I have said my piece and either you get it or you don't.

Gigantoad
Adventurer
"Blyss4226" wrote:

You don't know the choices I made so you can't fairly say that. I didn't give up food or bills or things like that. I simply chose to save money instead of buy games on Steam, or things I wanted in a store, and stuff like that. I have some extra income from a website I help(Trust me it's not much, less than 100 a month) with and did extra work there, and I saved that for nearly half a year.

What's wrong with that? I don't consider prioritizing wants severe at all.

Do you have a sufficiently fast PC though? Minimal specs are quite high.

davidjc
Honored Guest
Yeah its way too expensive, ordering out of Germany here (American) and its well over 700 euros. Almost better to have bought it and shipped to the states, and then have my family send it to me via mail. I have my preorder in but not sure if I will keep it or not at the price it's currently sitting at.

Waiting on the Vive now.

I most certainly did not need a bundled Xbox controller, I already have one...not sure what they were thinking with that one. Or the remote

Blyss4226
Rising Star
"gabr1eL44" wrote:
"Blyss4226" wrote:
I am single yes, and I have only myself to think of as far as that. I wasn't judging anyone - I even said it in my post. I am not better than you or anyone. I was only sharing my opinion that if someone like me can manage to afford it, then it's not "out of reach." Sure, maybe those people have other priorities. That's fine. But they shouldn't attack Oculus like that's their fault. That is what I was saying.
Well. I was very hyped for VR and it's not like that I couldn't afford to buy CV1 but it's not worth €750. That's insane. They wanted to bring VR to masses and they were talking about a price between 200 and 400 dollars. It's not their fault? It wouldn't have been their fault if they wanted to build a premium product but due to all they said they failed.

It doesn't even make sense to wait until the price drops because in two or three years CV2 will come out. Maybe they are selling 200k devices (max). Which game developer will produce high quality games when they are no customers (on PC side we have about 100 million devises, on mobile side even more). Developing for VR right now is just stupid. Sorry to say that but with every android game you can make more game.

Yes I understand it from that perspective. But that's not "out of reach" that's "not worth it." And if you feel that way, yeah I understand it. As I said before, because there are a lot of real world things I can't do it's worth that for me. Yes they did mention some numbers but that was quite a while ago. The only recent one that this price point goes against is the "in the ballpark of 350" that I mentioned a while back. That is the only one I see as really relevant to the issue. Personally. Aside from that, people were asking Luckey YEARS ago to predict this. How could he? Perhaps they should have said more to prepare us for this price, I'll definitely agree to that. But it's unrealistic to expect them to know that so far in advance. For the other one - yeah that was a bit of BS. I imagine he didn't want to put people off, but I don't know him of course.

When I made my original post I was referring to the venom being spewed at Luckey on twitter mostly. Saying it's out of reach for all but the ultra rich and things like that. I really am brand new to these forums, I don't know much of what people are saying here.

Unrelated to this reply but I would say that if people took my original post the wrong way, I apologize. As I've said, I did not mean to look down on anyone or claim to be better than them or anything like that. But apparently some people took it that way. Trust me that is so not who I am.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

mike997
Explorer
742 euros incl. shipping in the Netherlands, that's insane!

I preordered the DK1 and DK2 and spent a lot of time integrating Rift support into my engine and improving the support of it in frameworks, and this is the thanks? A much smaller userbase and having the developers that supported you pay almost twice as much as initially stated!?

If you would provide an option without the controller, remote, headphone and games for 400 euros incl. shipping I'd buy it without complaining. Now I need to buy it anyway to make sure my engine works with CR1 and be able to troubleshoot it if it isn't. That's nuts!
Game in pre-alpha with support for Oculus Rift DK2 coming in the next patch, State of Fortune

shim2
Adventurer
Wouldn't it be funny if Oculus release how many people pre-ordered on day 1 and the number end up being close to a million.

Would make just about everyone posting here look a bit silly.