cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The i wanted to Pre-order but didn't MEGA Thread

Emvy-
Honored Guest
sign here if you was seriously going to Pre-order but changed your mind after the Ridiculous price. "Especially in Europe"

I was aiming for $499 MAX. seeing $599 was like.. humph... jeez. that's higher then expected but... its VR.... its Good VR.

proceeded with order..

Changed to Europe region. Price Jumps to 699 EURO without shipping costs!

moment of silence.. rubbing eyes... refresh page cause obviously this is a mistake?

nope...

and suddenly the best idea in the world is to wait for the competition and atleast see the CV1 action first cause 700+ euro is to much of a gamble now that the word of Oculus is as valuable as a drug addict telling you to pay you back after asking money for drugs.
22 REPLIES 22

smilertoo
Protege
I could save the cost by the april shipping date but i refuse to be fleeced after 2 years of "we're aiming for around 350". The pricing makes no sense, normal consumers won't pay anywhere close to the price they want, and those that do buy early are going to be annoyed when oculus eventually slash the price to try and drive sales. At the moment VR continues to be a very small market niche past time...something that wont encourage much new development from 3rd parties who were expecting their audience numbers to explode when rift was released.

laminblake
Explorer
I pre-ordered by impulse but i'm really thinking about cancelling it. I just don't know how I can justify $600 for something that will only work on a select few games.

*PS you spelled Thread wrong*

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"laminblake" wrote:
I pre-ordered by impulse but i'm really thinking about cancelling it. I just don't know how I can justify $600 for something that will only work on a select few games.

not so much that, it's that they are charging that much needlessly (it doesn't cost even half that to make) and that they WILL superceed it fast with CV2 once they've grabbed the cash.

CV1 isn't even that stunning. If you've used DK2 then you won't miss much (without touch) so why not wait to see what vive or cv2 brings?

Thinking about it - I think they are scared of Vive, so they sell fast and expensive, but not THAT many (cos of price and spec being a bit shit) but it forces valve into action, they release too (a much better experience from day one lets face it!) - then secretly oculus have CV2 much closer than they are telling us, to be able to outdo VIVE as fast as poss, probably by jan next year! Seems obvious to me now, that's why this is so expensive cos they don't want to sell that many, because it's frankly a bit CRAP (a gamepad and a dk like HMD won't cut it next to polished stuff from Sony and Valve eventually). So yeah... there it is, CV1 buyers cash will be soaked up to prevent them buying PS VR or Vive - meanwhile oculus race ahead with CV2 and sell it cheaper than vive by Jan next year and 'win' (they think).

Which is all cool in the long run, but CV1 is a BAD investment. Don't be desperate for VR, esp if you've already tasted it on DKs.

no way am I buying cv1 . ever. laters!
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

AntDX3162
Heroic Explorer
Probably so they can't price gouge. I wonder what the asian markets are going to look like. They are crazy about technology and probably willing to pay top dollar for black marketed new and rare devices.
facebook.com/AntDX316

Emvy-
Honored Guest
thanks, fixed it 🙂 I guess my mind was filled with Threaths when I typed it 😛

"laminblake" wrote:

*PS you spelled Thread wrong*

gutang
Protege
If I lived in the states I would have considered it but being $1000 in Canada there's just no way... It seems like they really didnt consider the international markets at all with this price point...

laminblake
Explorer
Since i'm not getting this until April apparently I will wait to see what the price of the Vibe is. If it's around the same price I think i'll get that instead. It seems to offer more.

Emvy-
Honored Guest
I just have this feeling that about 80% of everyone who was sitting behind the computer ready to pre-order didn't do it cause of the insane price.

if they sold them for manufacturing costs then the world isn't ready for VR.

if they sold them with like $200 profit to cover development costs etc. even with zuckenberg behind them, then they have put a big crater in the future of VR as from a developer perspective I wouldn't be so thrilled to put shitloads of time in a VR game right now. knowing only the "Elite" will be able to afford it for now.

where in the dream of palmer lucky to make VR available to the world did it go wrong? I don't strike him as a $_$ guy.

p.s. I own dk1 and dk2 so I will hold on to them for the next 2 years and see how things un-raffle.

Dewm
Honored Guest
"velma01" wrote:
2 years and see how things un-raffle.

un-raffle?... you are really convincing Oculus right now that you are super smart and know about real prices points etc..

/sarcasm

On another note, yeah its more then I would have liked.. but I pre-ordered one.. and I don't think Oculus is going to really feel a pinch. I mean they sold out into May already and its been... 5 hours?

I do wish they offered a bundle without the xbone controller, I already have 4 of them and don't need a 5th.. woulda saved me $60.00.