cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift PC advisor says my USB ports aren't good enough?

Blyss4226
Rising Star

Note to people with this issue: If you have multiple controllers TRY DISABLING THE ONE THAT FAILS in Device Manager and testing again.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28560&start=20#p314918

I ran the rift PC advisor. As I expected it flagged my CPU and GPU. My CPU is a 3770k @ 4.4Ghz though, which destroys the one they recommend as minimum even though it's a generation behind. So that's fine. My GPU is a GTX 670 4GB which when overclocked is about 15% slower than the recommended minimum 970. Yeah it OCs like a beast. But I know it's less than optimal, hope to upgrade before March when my Rift ships.

The main problem is it flagged my USB ports.

Clicking links to a page that says this:

Why am I getting this warning?
If you received this warning message, our compatibility tool detected that some of the hardware that powers your computer's USB ports have known incompatibilities with Rift.

What does this mean?
Rift may not work with your computer's USB 3.0 ports.

How can my ports be incompatible? My mobo is an Asus p8z77-i/wd mini itx. It has plenty of ports so the number is not the problem(I have 8 total USB 3.0 ports, and five 2.0 ports). I REALLY don't wanna have to replace my mobo too. Already gotta replace my GPU.

So yeah, any ideas? Don't be afraid to get technical, I have a degree in computer science and I spend most of my free time doing tech support on PCSX2 forums(it's a PS2 emulator if you didn't know).
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD
82 REPLIES 82

zaphodB
Explorer
Where do I download the Rift PC advisor? Google isn't showing me any hits?

Kr55
Explorer
"deejayO" wrote:
Same message here.
Asus RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION Board.

Same motherboard here, and same message.

The complaint may be an estimation of the bandwidth these USB 3.0 ports can provide. Seems very possible that it's sufficient already. Guess PCI-E USB 3.0 expansion boards are pretty cheap though, so I likely will just pick one up.

For folks in Canada: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00PAFDW3M

Midnight
Explorer
"Blyss4226" wrote:
"kezajones39" wrote:
My GA-990FX-UD3 gives the same thing, also my FX-9590 apparently doesn't meet the spec (yeah yeah AMD, i know, i know)

FX 9590 should be good enough in most cases. Especially for DX12 stuff. I had an FX 6300 before my friend gave me this rig. It was "too weak" for lots of things, yet it ran them just fine and did not hold my GPU back.

Mainly AMD chips are only weak in single threaded performance. Multithread is fine. And DX12 will help with single threaded load being spread to multi.

@Midnight - Any CPU pre haswell (eg Intel 4xxx) will likely return not good enough because of being from earlier generation. But 2500k at that speed will be fine, I'm sure of it.

Yeah, the CPU itself should be fine, and purely reported based on its stock speed. Running a single 980 card alongside.

The USB 3.0 thing has me concerned however. I can't even remember how many 3.0 ports I have at the back, so I better pull the unit out (which is a huge pain)....definately at least 2 ( 1 being extended to the front...though the front port is a bit dodgy these days)....

So if I'm right, I can still preorder this...not be charged until dispatch, but still within my rights to cancel the order at any time? (whereas could not do this with my DK1 and DK2)

Blyss4226
Rising Star
"Midnight" wrote:
"Blyss4226" wrote:
"kezajones39" wrote:
My GA-990FX-UD3 gives the same thing, also my FX-9590 apparently doesn't meet the spec (yeah yeah AMD, i know, i know)

FX 9590 should be good enough in most cases. Especially for DX12 stuff. I had an FX 6300 before my friend gave me this rig. It was "too weak" for lots of things, yet it ran them just fine and did not hold my GPU back.

Mainly AMD chips are only weak in single threaded performance. Multithread is fine. And DX12 will help with single threaded load being spread to multi.

@Midnight - Any CPU pre haswell (eg Intel 4xxx) will likely return not good enough because of being from earlier generation. But 2500k at that speed will be fine, I'm sure of it.

Yeah, the CPU itself should be fine, and purely reported based on its stock speed. Running a single 980 card alongside.

The USB 3.0 thing has me concerned however. I can't even remember how many 3.0 ports I have at the back, so I better pull the unit out (which is a huge pain)....definately at least 2 ( 1 being extended to the front...though the front port is a bit dodgy these days)....

So if I'm right, I can still preorder this...not be charged until dispatch, but still within my rights to cancel the order at any time? (whereas could not do this with my DK1 and DK2)

Yeah you can cancel, and yeah you aren't charged until it ships.

At worst though you could use like a powered USB3 hub or get an expansion card for like 10 bucks.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

cybereality
Grand Champion
So, there are a variety of different USB controllers, and not all of them are fully compatible with the Rift. The Compatibility Tool will show you a warning if this controller is known to cause problems. Even though the port may be labeled as USB 3.0, and be functional, it may not work with the Rift.

If you do have this issue, you can buy a PCI-E add-on card. This one is confirmed to work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Blyss4226
Rising Star
"cybereality" wrote:
So, there are a variety of different USB controllers, and not all of them are fully compatible with the Rift. The Compatibility Tool will show you a warning if this controller is known to cause problems. Even though the port may be labeled as USB 3.0, and be functional, it may not work with the Rift.

If you do have this issue, you can buy a PCI-E add-on card. This one is confirmed to work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW

That sucks because being a mini itx my board has NO expansion slots aside from a single PCIe x16 for GPU.

So I'm stuck buying a new mobo then? Wow, that hurts >_<

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Kr55" wrote:

Same motherboard here, and same message.

The complaint may be an estimation of the bandwidth these USB 3.0 ports can provide. Seems very possible that it's sufficient already. Guess PCI-E USB 3.0 expansion boards are pretty cheap though, so I likely will just pick one up.

I even tried the Asus USB 3.0 Boost from ASUS.
Nothing changed.
I cannot imagine the bandwith isn't sufficent enough.
An extra PCI board kills the nice view of my case 😉
I read something about an update for the controller firmware but I can't find anything from ASUS on their webpage.

Midnight
Explorer
This high price news and uncertain compatibility checks are really making my day 😞

No room for an extra expansion slot as mine are used up by other things. The app doesn't say a usb 3.0 port being known to cause problems, just that its incompatible...trouble I guess then is to know if its simply to an unknown chipset or that it definitely has issues......and whether my DK2 was also meant to 'not work' with this same usb 3.0 controller it has always been working on

jusbott
Expert Protege
How the hell can it say a Amd 9590 isn't good anoth its loads better then the I5 they say you need minimum and have it paired with a 980ti and all overclocked and water-cooled and plays games in 4k no problems so don't see how it wouldn't be powerful anoth for the rift

Bendak
Explorer
So Asmedia USB 3.0 controllers don't work with the rift? Soooooooooo many motherboards use those. That's troubling.

Also the CPU component could do better with supporting the "or equivalent" part. My i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz destroys a stock i5 4590, but the tool says it's not sufficient. 😄