cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift PC advisor says my USB ports aren't good enough?

Blyss4226
Rising Star

Note to people with this issue: If you have multiple controllers TRY DISABLING THE ONE THAT FAILS in Device Manager and testing again.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=28560&start=20#p314918

I ran the rift PC advisor. As I expected it flagged my CPU and GPU. My CPU is a 3770k @ 4.4Ghz though, which destroys the one they recommend as minimum even though it's a generation behind. So that's fine. My GPU is a GTX 670 4GB which when overclocked is about 15% slower than the recommended minimum 970. Yeah it OCs like a beast. But I know it's less than optimal, hope to upgrade before March when my Rift ships.

The main problem is it flagged my USB ports.

Clicking links to a page that says this:

Why am I getting this warning?
If you received this warning message, our compatibility tool detected that some of the hardware that powers your computer's USB ports have known incompatibilities with Rift.

What does this mean?
Rift may not work with your computer's USB 3.0 ports.

How can my ports be incompatible? My mobo is an Asus p8z77-i/wd mini itx. It has plenty of ports so the number is not the problem(I have 8 total USB 3.0 ports, and five 2.0 ports). I REALLY don't wanna have to replace my mobo too. Already gotta replace my GPU.

So yeah, any ideas? Don't be afraid to get technical, I have a degree in computer science and I spend most of my free time doing tech support on PCSX2 forums(it's a PS2 emulator if you didn't know).
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD
82 REPLIES 82

KarlHungus
Protege
Asus Sabertooth P67 passes the USB 3.0 requirement

failingbetter
Honored Guest
Same issue. "The hardware that powers your USB ports has known incompatibilities", and no slot available in my case. I have (4) USB 3.0 and (4) USB 2.0. What's the deal?

Can someone confirm that a powered hub will work?

Blyss4226
Rising Star
"jusbott" wrote:
How the hell can it say a Amd 9590 isn't good anoth its loads better then the I5 they say you need minimum and have it paired with a 980ti and all overclocked and water-cooled and plays games in 4k no problems so don't see how it wouldn't be powerful anoth for the rift

It's actually not loads better than that i5. But it should be sufficient IMO.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Blyss4226
Rising Star
"failingbetter" wrote:
Same issue. "The hardware that powers your USB ports has known incompatibilities", and no slot available in my case. I have (4) USB 3.0 and (4) USB 2.0. What's the deal?

Can someone confirm that a powered hub will work?

I said that before cyberreality responded. Since a hub has to go through the controller, no, it likely won't. I only meant a hub in cases of not enough ports. I'd LOVE to be proven wrong though because of what I wrote below.

Meanwhile I tested another board I had(for my FX 6300). Gigabyte GA78LMT USB3. Fails the USB test.

That's a bit ridiculous. Since LGA1150 mobos aren't made anymore, replacing mine is gonna cost half of what I spent on the Rift unless I can find a good deal on ebay. Wow. I may just take my chances. I hear/see a lot of "may" about whether they will work or not.

Midnight
Explorer
so yours actually says "The hardware that powers your USB ports has known incompatibilities?"?

For my board, it says "The hardware that powers your USB ports is incompatibile with the Rift. Here is the hardware that is incompatable : ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Contro" (rest off the screen)

And no issues in past with the DK1/2 on same machine....so don't see why this should be the case?

Blyss4226
Rising Star
"Midnight" wrote:
so yours actually says "The hardware that powers your USB ports has known incompatibilities?"?

For my board, it says "The hardware that powers your USB ports is incompatibile with the Rift. Here is the hardware that is incompatable : ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Contro" (rest off the screen)

And no issues in past with the DK1/2 on same machine....so don't see why this should be the case?

The screenshot shows what the tester shows to me. The quote is from the text I get when I click "Learn more"

As for why - I'd really like to know to better inform what I will do. Bandwidth? Who knows.

zaphodB
Explorer
If your USB ports aren't up to snuff can't you just buy a $20ish PCIe USB 3.0 card that solves the problem? You don't need a new mobo.

Blyss4226
Rising Star
"zaphodB" wrote:
If your USB ports aren't up to snuff can't you just buy a $20ish PCIe USB 3.0 card that solves the problem? You don't need a new mobo.

As I said I have no expansion ports on my mobo because it's Mini ITX form factor.

That's my board. The one PCIe slot is for GPU.

Tbone
Protege
I got a USB 3.0 PCI-Express card just for the Rift. Ran the utility. It doesn't appear to be finding the USB on the card - I believe it's only finding my default USB ports, but I'm not sure.

Is this card compatible? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ARQV6U

I get the error "VIA USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)" as not being compatible...
The Furious Angels - an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!

Blyss4226
Rising Star
You bring up a good point. I have two USB3 controllers on my board. One from Intel, and the detected one that isn't compatible. I'm gonna disable the not compatible one and try again.