cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600 dollars is a Seriously. Bad. Mistake.

thornfoot
Explorer
Although you will surely get 600 dollars out of me and the other early tech adopters, that price point is truly short sighted.

The general public is not going to want to buy a CV1 at that price -- and they are where the real money is at. You will grab an extra few million dollars profit out of the hardware while losing hundreds of millions in software sales.

That is where the people that have spent their time and effort making programs for the rift expect to make their money. You just cut their user base down significantly. That kind of pisses me off.

Oculus, you all but just handed the VR race to the Vive'. That just blows my mind.

The bad press you are about to receive is frightening to contemplate. It will definitely hurt if not outright destroy Oculus's reputation. It may even put a damper the whole VR revolution.
246 REPLIES 246

Anonymous
Not applicable
"schmeltzer" wrote:
I wonder why they call it the Consumer Version in stead of the Enthousiast Premium Version. That would have saved a lot of confusion imho.

I like it! OR EPV :lol:

alias030
Honored Guest
U fucked it up,
few small words

1. Facebook Fiasko u said it will nothing change on the right plan!!!!
Palmer:“How is this what’s best for VR technology?”, Luckey said that, “This deal specifically lets us greatly lower the price of the Rift.”

2. 699 for European peoples without any extra cost ur kidding right!!!

Quote: Oculus has stated previously that their target price for a consumer virtual reality headset would be around $300. With the Oculus Rift DK2 going on sale last week for $350, it can be assumed that Luckey’s comment applies to the forthcoming consumer version of the Oculus Rift. If the company could bring the cost down to $100 per headset, it would surely go a long way toward widespread adoption of VR.

Germany Berlin
Sven

rly i thought u can do it bad mistake.....

schmeltzer
Protege
"Calistin" wrote:
"schmeltzer" wrote:
I wonder why they call it the Consumer Version in stead of the Enthousiast Premium Version. That would have saved a lot of confusion imho.

I like it! OR EPV :lol:

Yeah and make a @RonsonPL version with 2 4K screens and call it OR EPVRPL version 😉

aabel
Honored Guest
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"aabel" wrote:
If they would have sold it for $200 you would have people buying Rifts to run on their 2009 macbook and getting pissed at how terrible the experience is and screaming that VR isn't ready yet. It would also be a much lower quality device.

That's the worst excuse ever.

I happen to have a pwerfull pc.... check my Sig.... I can afford to buy it... I'm 41 I have credit cards!

But I won't buy it at a rip off price... they are literally ripping you off.. Blatantly and in your face!

I mean don't you remember the PS3 Fiasco??

Oculus is a Peripheral... it on it's own does nothing.... It should have been no more than $399 Period!

Getting the price down to $200 would severely lower the quality of the device, and yes in that price range people would buy it to use on crap hardware, have a terrible experience and proclaim the second coming of VR to be a failure.

Wait till the Vive and PSVR are out, then you can decide which company is ripping you off the most. Without actually trying any of these devices it is hard to say if they are really ripping anyone off or not.

schmeltzer
Protege
"aabel" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"aabel" wrote:
If they would have sold it for $200 you would have people buying Rifts to run on their 2009 macbook and getting pissed at how terrible the experience is and screaming that VR isn't ready yet. It would also be a much lower quality device.

I happen to have a pwerfull pc.... check my Sig.... I can afford to buy it... I'm 41 I have credit cards!

But I won't buy it at a rip off price... they are literally ripping you off.. Blatantly and in your face!

Oculus is a Peripheral... it on it's own does nothing.... It should have been no more than $399 Period!

Getting the price down to $200 would severely lower the quality of the device, and yes in that price range people would buy it to use on crap hardware, have a terrible experience and proclaim the second coming of VR to be a failure.

Wait till the Vive and PSVR are out, then you can decide which company is ripping you off the most. Without actually trying any of these devices it is hard to say if they are really ripping anyone off or not.

I don't believe OVR is ripping us off. They probably loose money on every unit sold. It's just that most people had not expected this price. I think they could have handled expectations better, reading the reactions on the internet prooves my point I think.

thealgorithm
Protege
When the VIVE and PSVR are released, will they also be limited in regards to shipping from the US to other countries? I am sure they will more than likely deliberately lower their prices slightly to increase sales + if they sell them in mainstream stores, more people will purchase it potentially (+ no costly shipping charges)

alias030
Honored Guest
If I was Palmer :
I'm gonna remove " the headphone " -->We all have that
I'm gonna remove " xbox controller " -->We dont need that but we have one!!!
I'm gonna remove " 2 trash games that marked as FREE " -> nothing in the World is FREE
I'm gonna remove " unnecessary cool container " We only need the Oculus

You force us to pay for what we alread had , and make us Pay for additional 200-300$

Writer: pvanvu

sabyyy
Protege
"schmeltzer" wrote:
"aabel" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:

I don't believe OVR is ripping us off. They probably loose money on every unit sold. It's just that most people had not expected this price. I think they could have handled expectations better, reading the reactions on the internet prooves my point I think.

You cannot seriously think they are loosing money. Are they a charity group or what? With 740€ price tag you can be sure they are not doing this as charity work.

gijed
Honored Guest

jm3la
Honored Guest
well as pissed as i am about being misled about the expect price i just ordered one anyway. im still pissed though lucky so dont expect a christmas card from me this year.
i guess i can sell my dk2 to the common folk ahahahahaha (thats a joke for those with thin skin)