600 dollars is a Seriously. Bad. Mistake. - Page 7 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

600 dollars is a Seriously. Bad. Mistake.

Comments

• U fucked it up,
    few small words

1. Facebook Fiasko u said it will nothing change on the right plan!!!!
    Palmer:“How is this what’s best for VR technology?”, Luckey said that, “This deal specifically lets us greatly lower the price of the Rift.”

2. 699 for European peoples without any extra cost ur kidding right!!!

Quote: Oculus has stated previously that their target price for a consumer virtual reality headset would be around $300. With the Oculus Rift DK2 going on sale last week for $350, it can be assumed that Luckey’s comment applies to the forthcoming consumer version of the Oculus Rift. If the company could bring the cost down to $100 per headset, it would surely go a long way toward widespread adoption of VR.

Germany Berlin
    Sven

rly i thought u can do it bad mistake.....
  • schmeltzerschmeltzer Posts: 298
    Art3mis
    Calistin wrote:
    schmeltzer wrote:
    I wonder why they call it the Consumer Version in stead of the Enthousiast Premium Version. That would have saved a lot of confusion imho.

I like it! OR EPV :lol:

Yeah and make a @RonsonPL version with 2 4K screens and call it OR EPVRPL version ;)
  • aabelaabel Posts: 113
    Hiro Protagonist
    Tim74UK wrote:
    aabel wrote:
    If they would have sold it for $200 you would have people buying Rifts to run on their 2009 macbook and getting pissed at how terrible the experience is and screaming that VR isn't ready yet. It would also be a much lower quality device.

That's the worst excuse ever.

I happen to have a pwerfull pc.... check my Sig.... I can afford to buy it... I'm 41 I have credit cards!

But I won't buy it at a rip off price... they are literally ripping you off.. Blatantly and in your face!

I mean don't you remember the PS3 Fiasco??

Oculus is a Peripheral... it on it's own does nothing.... It should have been no more than $399 Period!

Getting the price down to $200 would severely lower the quality of the device, and yes in that price range people would buy it to use on crap hardware, have a terrible experience and proclaim the second coming of VR to be a failure.

Wait till the Vive and PSVR are out, then you can decide which company is ripping you off the most. Without actually trying any of these devices it is hard to say if they are really ripping anyone off or not.
  • schmeltzerschmeltzer Posts: 298
    Art3mis
    aabel wrote:
    Tim74UK wrote:
    aabel wrote:
    If they would have sold it for $200 you would have people buying Rifts to run on their 2009 macbook and getting pissed at how terrible the experience is and screaming that VR isn't ready yet. It would also be a much lower quality device.

I happen to have a pwerfull pc.... check my Sig.... I can afford to buy it... I'm 41 I have credit cards!

But I won't buy it at a rip off price... they are literally ripping you off.. Blatantly and in your face!

Oculus is a Peripheral... it on it's own does nothing.... It should have been no more than $399 Period!

Getting the price down to $200 would severely lower the quality of the device, and yes in that price range people would buy it to use on crap hardware, have a terrible experience and proclaim the second coming of VR to be a failure.

Wait till the Vive and PSVR are out, then you can decide which company is ripping you off the most. Without actually trying any of these devices it is hard to say if they are really ripping anyone off or not.

I don't believe OVR is ripping us off. They probably loose money on every unit sold. It's just that most people had not expected this price. I think they could have handled expectations better, reading the reactions on the internet prooves my point I think.
  • thealgorithmthealgorithm Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    When the VIVE and PSVR are released, will they also be limited in regards to shipping from the US to other countries? I am sure they will more than likely deliberately lower their prices slightly to increase sales + if they sell them in mainstream stores, more people will purchase it potentially (+ no costly shipping charges)
  • If I was Palmer :
    I'm gonna remove " the headphone " -->We all have that
    I'm gonna remove " xbox controller " -->We dont need that but we have one!!!
    I'm gonna remove " 2 trash games that marked as FREE " -> nothing in the World is FREE
    I'm gonna remove " unnecessary cool container " We only need the Oculus

You force us to pay for what we alread had , and make us Pay for additional 200-300$

Writer: pvanvu
  • sabyyysabyyy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    schmeltzer wrote:
    aabel wrote:
    Tim74UK wrote:

I don't believe OVR is ripping us off. They probably loose money on every unit sold. It's just that most people had not expected this price. I think they could have handled expectations better, reading the reactions on the internet prooves my point I think.

You cannot seriously think they are loosing money. Are they a charity group or what? With 740€ price tag you can be sure they are not doing this as charity work.
  • gijedgijed Posts: 19
  • jm3lajm3la Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    well as pissed as i am about being misled about the expect price i just ordered one anyway. im still pissed though lucky so dont expect a christmas card from me this year.
    i guess i can sell my dk2 to the common folk ahahahahaha (thats a joke for those with thin skin)
  • Kr55Kr55 Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    gijed wrote:

LOL!

And I bought one of those as soon as it came out too. The cycle continues.
  • Logan1001Logan1001 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I hope they see the error in there ways and drop the price down, I expected to pay around $399 dollars. Still I bought one at this huge price and to be only 35% better than the Dk2 it is ridiculous for the price.

I bought the Dk1and the Dk2 and were happy with both kits at the time, but the consumer version coming with the Xbox controller just seems stupid I'm sure we all have one in the house. Also the head phones I do not want because my head phones are far better than what they are giving out with this kit, also I do not want the remote and if I wanted the games I would have just gone out and bought them!

Most of what I get in this box I do not want or need, saying that I was happy with my card board box I received with my Dk2, this is purely greed at it's best. They have out priced the CV1for most people who have families and bills to pay!

They need to read the comments and have a serious rethink about what the consumer needs and wants.
  • Kr55Kr55 Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    Pre-order expected ship date is June now. Really curious what the pre-order numbers end up being for the first day. Seems like it was very successful and first 24 hours not over yet.
  • donkaradiablodonkaradiablo Posts: 310
    Hiro Protagonist
    A company founded by VR enthousiasts under the promise of operating only with the goal to bring VR to masses by targetting $300 price point, have done nothing but sell out, disappoint and come up with excuses about why the things they said they would do haven't been done so. I was so excited and such a fan at the start, very disappointed with how the company changed after a while, and now at this point I'm not even surprised.

In a way this is good news because a true VR set with VR controllers that are standard, a headset camera and robust room scale 360 degree tracking is not going to look too expensive now.
    Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines
    the input solution that could have been
    ideas
    Revolutionize the way we interact with...
    Change the world...
    Community...
    BJsryuo.gif
  • adamdk2adamdk2 Posts: 84
    So Oculus say they aren't making a profit on the Rift..... we'll see when the Annual Financial Report is published being a public company.
    Win 7 64bit SP1 | Z77A-G43 | i5 3570k OC to 4.4 | 8gb 2133 RAM | 970 GTX | Intel 240gb SSD | Fanatec CSR | Fanatec CSR Pedals | Oculus Rift DK2
  • CgpnzCgpnz Posts: 455
    edited January 2016
    A query.

When a unit goes overseas, is vat charged, or is vat only for domestic purchasing?
    If not, why is it added to overseas orders? The last dk2 unit, customs charged the correct amount befor oculus did the box price lie.

I know the answer as my zotac gtx970 from new egg had the vat on its non-optimal checkout online form, and refunded it later.
    My finger was hovering over the checkout button til I saw the unlabelled vat and the ridiculous shipping cost.
    Some fool has just f'ed everything up. This did not occur with the dk1 and dk2.

Why now?

I suggest VR enthusiasts seriously think about VR sli, and invest in another gtx970 etc.
  • I am so fucking mad about the pricing BS, that I'm done. Giving up on VR, Wholesale. Don't care that My DK2 just crapped out on me.... I'm so fucking mad that Oculus sold it's soul... Affordable VR for the masses my ass...
    I am so fucking mad about the pricing BS, that I'm done. Giving up on VR, Wholesale. Don't care that My DK2 just crapped out on me.... I'm so fucking mad that Oculus sold it's soul... Affordable VR for the masses my ass...

Do a reinstall of oculus stuff, did you recently do an nvidia driver upgrade or did the auto updated do it for you.
    Driver synching problems can manifest as hardware crapping out. Hardware should be robust, but watch out for combined usb over amppage, and use powered use outlets, I burnt out one of my boxes USB ports.
  • zdanielzdaniel Posts: 74
    Their only mistake was to talk about a lower price that they couldn't deliver.
    Other than that, 600 is about the same as a new high end smartphone.
    This contains 2 OLED screens, a lot of engineering, and years of research and testing. And it's more than that. It's the birth of a new tech that will constantly evolve and become better and mainstream.
    We should stop crying and deal with it, or just get it after a few months. They're not trying to rip anyone's wallet, I'm pretty sure.
    When my father was a child, only rich people could afford a TV. See how TVs failed.
  • I haven't read all the thread yet, but i agree.

I'm glad i have sell my DK2 5 month ago and stop all my dev on it and focus only on gearVR and cardboard.

at 700 euros you didn't sell to your main target : people in the 13 - 35 range.
    you can only sell to rich kids ...

Bad move ... really bad move !

Cheers

E
  • in6secondsin6seconds Posts: 405
    Nexus 6
    zdaniel wrote:
    Their only mistake was to talk about a lower price that they couldn't deliver.
    Other than that, 600 is about the same as a new high end smartphone.
    This contains 2 OLED screens, a lot of engineering, and years of research and testing. And it's more than that. It's the birth of a new tech that will constantly evolve and become better and mainstream.
    We should stop crying and deal with it, or just get it after a few months. They're not trying to rip anyone's wallet, I'm pretty sure.
    When my father was a child, only rich people could afford a TV. See how TVs failed.
    the thing is, not everyone is paying 600, some countries have to pay over 1000
  • its also not an issue as you see supply and demand is already over running order dates. order now on june as of this morning.
    for us developers this shows promise regardless of price.
  • I should also note, that having dealt with serval PC gaming builders, there is no shortage of these rich kids ordering 5k gamine machines weekly, I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a 2k headset and they sold out easily.

quality should always be the focus not cost, its great that its around 600 right now, as a previous poster said that's good considering its 2 oled screens and all the backlog of dev that's gone into the hardware.

you should not be worried about the initial price, this years going to see loads of hardware volume get pushed through. there will probably be even more pimp models with the new flexible oleds coming from other vendors in the years to come as well, the price on these things will drop eventually. just focus on making software :)
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,300
    Trinity
    Smart money will go to vive, casusal/fun money will go to Sony

where does that leave Oculus? Oh yes straddling that strange middle line between 'shit' and 'expensive' while using a gamepad to interact with VR. Great move Oculus, it's not like you had 4 years head start on everyone else to DO VR RIGHT> :roll:

READ >
    Oculus be damned, this is the future
    The Oculus Rift is now on sale for $600, and the HTC Vive will likely cost even more when it arrives in homes this April.
    I don’t think it matters. No other VR headset can immerse users like the Vive, and the Vive Pre takes a huge leap forward by including a camera that connects its virtual holodeck space to the real people and objects in a room. That eliminates the alienation felt when wearing a virtual reality headset, which is normally blinding, and may lead to games and apps that transform real world objects and people, rather than ignoring them.
    I’m still excited about Oculus Rift, can’t wait to see more from the HoloLens, and the Gear VR won the Digital Trends Product of the Year for 2015, but damn it, I’m putting my virtual money on the HTC Vive.
    This is virtual reality. Everyone else needs to catch up.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-re ... z3wZYvDQlz
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook
    EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
  • lavojustlavojust Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    I ordered mine for Canada and 950.00$ later (+ possible big customs fees ), im wondering ....what have I done!? :cry:
  • acarrilhoacarrilho Posts: 402
    Hiro Protagonist
    lavojust wrote:
    I ordered mine for Canada and 950.00$ later (+ possible big customs fees ), im wondering ....what have I done!? :cry:

Doesn't that price include customs? I remember paying for everything at once when ordering the DK2 to Europe.
    G3258 @4.4MHz
    GTX970
    8GB RAM
    Windows 7 64
  • acarrilhoacarrilho Posts: 402
    Hiro Protagonist
    I thought the point of Facebook (except the obvious) was the ability to skip monetizing right now, and secure the market share with more accessible VR... this isn't even close to breaking even. It's money grabbing at the expense of the tech's future, which will probably be secured by others.
    G3258 @4.4MHz
    GTX970
    8GB RAM
    Windows 7 64
  • CdotsCdots Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    LOL at my Price, Ok I'm in Canada and the price came to 899 plus tax and shipping WOW. I'm upset with this I wont lie. I have also bought DK1 and DK2 and I will never sell them but give a brother a better deal I have supported you in DK1 and DK2 and now I'm over 1000 dollars after tax and shipping come on man!
  • Cdots wrote:
    LOL at my Price, Ok I'm in Canada and the price came to 899 plus tax and shipping WOW. I'm upset with this I wont lie. I have also bought DK1 and DK2 and I will never sell them but give a brother a better deal I have supported you in DK1 and DK2 and now I'm over 1000 dollars after tax and shipping come on man!

Dk1 and dk2 stops working :(, they are supported only few months forward from now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong ?
  • Sharpfish wrote:
    Smart money will go to vive, casusal/fun money will go to Sony

I don't know but 3 month ago i would have put oculus easily on the futur number 1 for the VR boom.
    They have 2 very good product with the rift and the gear.

Now i would really bet on the Sony horse

- they have huge XP in terms of marketting in the high end game market
    - they have parternship with some of the best studios to develop stunning game
    - they know how to pack good hardware and they will catch their late
    - they will not make the same mistake and ask i think around 400$ max for their helmet

If i can have a PS4 + a Playstation VR for 700-800e i know where i will put my money !
    I will also prefer to play with the Sony gamepad instead of the XBOX one ...

I'm sad cause i'm sure the rift will be a very good product.