cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Standing Members here say the Price Sucks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus are reading all these posts?

Noticed that they are from people who have frequented here for not a few days or months even but years....

We are the VR enthusiasts, your comunity... there aren't any other people out there at the moment you can market to....

So why out price the only people that can use the Rift?? Totally Alienating your market....

Talk about the most stupid inane decision EVER!
74 REPLIES 74

Elvis_T
Honored Guest
I know I won't be popular with my opinion, but I think $600 is very reasonable in comparison to what else is available.

For what I was going to use the headset for, I was going to end up spending $2,000. I was going to buy three HD or UHD projectors and build/buy a display that would handle three projected images. I was looking at buying some software that would blend the edges of the display from each projector and correct any distortion. The software is called Warpalizer and costs about $300.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/MAYAmaster/cockpit7.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9t8lZ0g74Y4/hqdefault.jpg

This is a much larger screen than I would be using. Mine would be more the size of the first picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t8lZ0g74Y4

When you add the $300 software, three projectors $1,200-$2,000 and the curved screen $200-$1,000 the Oculus seems like a complete steal at $600. Sure the resolution is dramatically different, but it's apples and oranges comparing a static 5760x1080 display to the Oculus.

One way to look at it is, depending on which projectors I bought, I'm still saving myself $2,000 by going with the Oculus.

Felix12g
Honored Guest
I remember when the eyefinity hit and people were snapping up a nice new card and 3 nice monitors to go with it. That cost vs this really isn't that bad.

Sure, you might have sticker shock, but that hardly makes this the end of the world.

If you can't afford it, go hit up Samsung, that's what that's for.
Code Monkey

jamacias
Honored Guest
I feel bad for the developers, they have to drop some serious coin now to continue to develop for the CV1.

tomba4
Honored Guest
"Elvis_T" wrote:
I know I won't be popular with my opinion, but I think $600 is very reasonable in comparison to what else is available.

I agree, kind of. If $600 was a store price, like every other piece of hardware, I'd probably buy it, even knowing that I'm paying for trash (headphones and controller) as well.

$800-$1100 (depending on where you live) is not so fun though.

Edit: note that with multiple projectors/displays you'd have a setup for every modern game, while VR support is somewhat limited.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"aabel" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"aabel" wrote:
Long standing member here, been here longer than the OP! I think the price is a bit high, but fine. We always want cheaper! I don't think it's as outrageous as some people do.

Do you guys have any idea what VR cost before Oculus?

Sorry I should have said.. long standing and long active.... :roll:

Sorry, I am a developer I don't have much time for online forums.

Dismissive shortsighted and arrogant.

It seems to me you don't have the slightest idea with whom you are speaking with.

smilertoo
Protege
The Rift was supposed to be a consumer entertainment device, sony and ms spent years discovering that the magic cut off point is around $400. Oculus should have at least offered a stripped down version without all the guff starting indie devs dont need, like headphones, mic, gamepad, games and carry case; they could have bagged it and packed it in dung for all i care as long as it got here in good working condition.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"jamacias" wrote:
I feel bad for the developers, they have to drop some serious coin now to continue to develop for the CV1.

That's just it.... they won't...

Too much of a risk on the PC platform now.

Most likely they will change platform mobile or console.

"smilertoo" wrote:
The Rift was supposed to be a consumer entertainment device, sony and ms spent years discovering that the magic cut off point is around $400. Oculus should have at least offered a stripped down version without all the guff starting indie devs dont need, like headphones, mic, gamepad, games.

Absolutely! Nail and Head!

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
"jamacias" wrote:

Developers who are making games coming out soon get one for free from Oculus. Otherwise, to most serious developers $600 is pretty much nothing.

"Tim74UK" wrote:
"Dreamwriter" wrote:
Here's the thing: a lower price right now wouldn't increase sales one bit.

Err yes they would??

Where on earth did you get that idea from.

I for one would have bought it at £399... yet we are at more than £100 that...

But you wouldn't have one, not until May or June. The thing could be $1, and they'd have the exact same amount of owners as it is now with it $600.

"Tim74UK" wrote:
Oculus haven't even come clean on the specs... what is the FOV of the CV1??

They already said a while back that the FOV of CV1 would be pretty similar to DK2's FOV.

aabel
Honored Guest
"Tim74UK" wrote:

Dismissive shortsighted and arrogant.

It seems to me you don't have the slightest idea with whom you are speaking with.

This is exactly why I don't have much time for online forums, especially public ones.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
"smilertoo" wrote:
The Rift was supposed to be a consumer entertainment device, sony and ms spent years discovering that the magic cut off point is around $400. Oculus should have at least offered a stripped down version without all the guff starting indie devs dont need, like headphones, mic, gamepad, games.

Oculus should have at leat said that the price would be around $600 to $700. But they stated very often that the price will be around $300 to $400. And that is very misleading and will break the VR community and industry in half.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛