cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Standing Members here say the Price Sucks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus are reading all these posts?

Noticed that they are from people who have frequented here for not a few days or months even but years....

We are the VR enthusiasts, your comunity... there aren't any other people out there at the moment you can market to....

So why out price the only people that can use the Rift?? Totally Alienating your market....

Talk about the most stupid inane decision EVER!
74 REPLIES 74

Cantatos
Explorer
"aabel" wrote:
"Tim74UK" wrote:

Dismissive shortsighted and arrogant.

It seems to me you don't have the slightest idea with whom you are speaking with.

This is exactly why I don't have much time for online forums, especially public ones.

That's probably also why you have a very narrow understanding of the reason why people are outraged, yet you have to post your input on this online forum.

montrayjak
Honored Guest
Honestly, I'm kind of happy with the price.

If they're selling it close to cost, then selling it at $350 would have meant it would have felt really cheaply made and just a subpar experience -- Remember, even the DK2 was subsidized, so imagine something worse than that. I'm really excited to experience premium VR... the thing our inner child has always really wanted. I'm excited that's finally here.

Maxxgold
Rising Star
"montrayjak" wrote:
Honestly, I'm kind of happy with the price.

If they're selling it close to cost, then selling it at $350 would have meant it would have felt really cheaply made and just a subpar experience -- Remember, even the DK2 was subsidized, so imagine something worse than that. I'm really excited to experience premium VR... the thing our inner child has always really wanted. I'm excited that's finally here.

Yep. I feel the same way.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"vallie" wrote:
I worry the more indie developers may not resume/update their projects simply because of this.

It would be a mistake, if so.

There will be as many Rifts as Oculus can make out there, as shipping is already backed up through May at least. Probably through the year.

However, it will be a niche market for sure. And this will keep the competition down from the big devs. Those companies that really need a large audience and have been squeezing out indie devs for years are the ones that are going to be scared away by the smaller audience.

Also, considering the relatively short timeframe and lack of content, those of us that are early adopters are likely to try just about everything and anything that people can put out.

It's the best time to get a foothold into the market if you are smaller/indie, before it's a mass-market product.

NightWolf
Honored Guest
"velma01" wrote:
already read reports on other forums that DEVS are pushing down their projects release date cause they fear a low market and don't want to loose their "launch momentum" as that only comes once.

Personally, I would expect that this is just a knee jerk reaction. I shared this fear initially, but once I saw the expected delivery date pushed back to May, for new orders, I felt much better. If I'm not mistaken, Palmer said that he expected they had enough headsets to cover the initial demand, but in the worst case scenario, the delivery date for additional headsets would just be pushed back, if they somehow didn't have enough. This tells me, that they not only sold well, but considerably exceeded their expectations for the BEST that they would do. So I would expect that once devs see the pre-order numbers, they'll have the confidence needed to continue the projects as originally planned.

montrayjak
Honored Guest
"Dreamwriter" wrote:

"Tim74UK" wrote:
Oculus haven't even come clean on the specs... what is the FOV of the CV1??

They already said a while back that the FOV of CV1 would be pretty similar to DK2's FOV.

I've heard that the FOV is 'considerably wider' than the DK2. The one thing that surprised me is it's also slightly lowered to your line of vision so you must get the feeling of wearing a hat or something -- but you can see the ground much better. Makes sense.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... d_here_is/

sabyyy
Protege
Not ordering now as today's news make me wait and see if I want this or something else so this is not pissing me off but are we really talking about may-june delivery? Half a year again?
I was expecting a few weeks max from the first deliveries regardless if you pre-order next week or whatever. This is a cv not a dk I have been told for many months now.
How is that q1 if the majority who orders in january receives the device in q2?
And please spare me the BS I already heard for vive that their 2015 "very limited" launch is still a launch after all.. (which of course didnt happen after all).

Is there a company that doesnt do BS?? I would buy anything from them I dont even need. 100 kgs potatoes or whatever just dont do BS.

My apologies in advance of course if I misunderstood the delivery dates.

Nsoldal
Honored Guest
I AGREE with a few people saying $599 is a good price... IT IS!!!

BUT 3/4 OF THE WORLD CAN'T BUY IT FOR THAT!!!!!

Ok... so I'm an Aussie,

I click Australia price changes from $599 to $650 (no indicator on what currency) okay is that Tax? (hang on 10% {gst} is $60 not $50), hmm okay then has it changed to AUD then? Not sure, Oh well what ever at that price I would still buy it (i have a high tolerance for expensive gear)

Click next

Hmm Shipping says here $132, wait this HAS to be in AUD.. Every other country is in their local currency, and who the hell are they shipping through, to cost $132USD per unit????????? (this is the bit that baffles my mind, just how.... how how how how how how how how how how.. no really can we get an explination*)

At this point, I'm second guessing my self, but think wait, this is all too familiar.

-My DK2 order

Shipping: $75.00 USD - We all know the size and weight of the box (how ridiculous does it seem to pay that in shipping)
Tax: $35.00 USD - Not sure why we paid $35 tax on a product imported, AU laws specifically state we don't need to!?!
Order Total: $460.00 USD - The only difference here is that IT ACTUALLY SAYS THE CURRENCY!!!

The same stuff was said, at release then, they said, 'it's because we are young etc.' this will improve!

ITS WORSE.. (if it truly is in USD)

Please just send them Fed Ex individually, you would get a better price, I'M NOT KIDDING!

At this point

Nsoldal
Honored Guest
I AGREE with a few people saying $599 is a good price... IT IS!!!

BUT 3/4 OF THE WORLD CAN'T BUY IT FOR THAT!!!!!

Ok... so I'm an Aussie,

I click Australia price changes from $599 to $650 (no indicator on what currency) okay is that Tax? (hang on 10% {gst} is $60 not $50), hmm okay then has it changed to AUD then? Not sure, Oh well what ever at that price I would still buy it (i have a high tolerance for expensive gear)

Click next

Hmm Shipping says here $132, wait this HAS to be in AUD.. Every other country is in their local currency, and who the hell are they shipping through, to cost $132USD per unit????????? (this is the bit that baffles my mind, just how.... how how how how how how how how how how.. no really can we get an explination*)

At this point, I'm second guessing my self, but think, wait, this is all too familiar.

-My DK2 order

Shipping: $75.00 USD - We all know the size and weight of the box (how ridiculous does it seem to pay that in shipping)
Tax: $35.00 USD - Not sure why we paid $35 tax on a product imported, AU laws specifically state we don't need to!?!
Order Total: $460.00 USD - The only difference here is that IT ACTUALLY SAYS THE CURRENCY!!! (oh and if affordable to most)

The same stuff was said, at release then, they said, 'it's because we are young etc.' this will improve!

ITS WORSE.. (if it truly is in USD)

So they gain 2Bil in funding, and we get 0 improvement on logistics or ordering process? Did you not learn from previous experience? You are honestly killing your market purely with shipping.

Also just wondering, Ocne Touch comes out will we be paying $139 in shipping? If so I will be paying $398 in shipping expenses. This is directly from the manufacturer.. How can MOM and POP send it cheaper?

Please just send them Fed Ex individually, you would get a better price, I'M NOT KIDDING!

Can we please get an explanation of shipping costs and AUD $50 price hike..

If this was confirmed as "in AUD" ignore all of the above, priced as expected.. shipping just weird offset for pricing.

Emvy-
Honored Guest
I have the same feeling.

I would have bought it for $599. heck I would pay $50 for shipping even though I think that's absolutely crazy, this high priced products should ship free.

but in EU I have to pay 742 Euro.. that's $800 including shipping costs.

not saying I don't think the CV1 is worth it. but for $800 I would want to see the product first in order to determine if its worth upgrading my Dk2 for. not an amount I am willing to take a leap of faith for.