cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600 dollars is a Seriously. Bad. Mistake.

thornfoot
Explorer
Although you will surely get 600 dollars out of me and the other early tech adopters, that price point is truly short sighted.

The general public is not going to want to buy a CV1 at that price -- and they are where the real money is at. You will grab an extra few million dollars profit out of the hardware while losing hundreds of millions in software sales.

That is where the people that have spent their time and effort making programs for the rift expect to make their money. You just cut their user base down significantly. That kind of pisses me off.

Oculus, you all but just handed the VR race to the Vive'. That just blows my mind.

The bad press you are about to receive is frightening to contemplate. It will definitely hurt if not outright destroy Oculus's reputation. It may even put a damper the whole VR revolution.
246 REPLIES 246

Kr55
Explorer
"gijed" wrote:

LOL!

And I bought one of those as soon as it came out too. The cycle continues.

Logan1001
Honored Guest
I hope they see the error in there ways and drop the price down, I expected to pay around $399 dollars. Still I bought one at this huge price and to be only 35% better than the Dk2 it is ridiculous for the price.

I bought the Dk1and the Dk2 and were happy with both kits at the time, but the consumer version coming with the Xbox controller just seems stupid I'm sure we all have one in the house. Also the head phones I do not want because my head phones are far better than what they are giving out with this kit, also I do not want the remote and if I wanted the games I would have just gone out and bought them!

Most of what I get in this box I do not want or need, saying that I was happy with my card board box I received with my Dk2, this is purely greed at it's best. They have out priced the CV1for most people who have families and bills to pay!

They need to read the comments and have a serious rethink about what the consumer needs and wants.

Kr55
Explorer
Pre-order expected ship date is June now. Really curious what the pre-order numbers end up being for the first day. Seems like it was very successful and first 24 hours not over yet.

donkaradiablo
Explorer
A company founded by VR enthousiasts under the promise of operating only with the goal to bring VR to masses by targetting $300 price point, have done nothing but sell out, disappoint and come up with excuses about why the things they said they would do haven't been done so. I was so excited and such a fan at the start, very disappointed with how the company changed after a while, and now at this point I'm not even surprised.

In a way this is good news because a true VR set with VR controllers that are standard, a headset camera and robust room scale 360 degree tracking is not going to look too expensive now.
Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines the input solution that could have been ideas Revolutionize the way we interact with... Change the world... Community...

Anonymous
Not applicable
So Oculus say they aren't making a profit on the Rift..... we'll see when the Annual Financial Report is published being a public company.

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
A query.

When a unit goes overseas, is vat charged, or is vat only for domestic purchasing?
If not, why is it added to overseas orders? The last dk2 unit, customs charged the correct amount befor oculus did the box price lie.

I know the answer as my zotac gtx970 from new egg had the vat on its non-optimal checkout online form, and refunded it later.

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
My finger was hovering over the checkout button til I saw the unlabelled vat and the ridiculous shipping cost.
Some fool has just f'ed everything up. This did not occur with the dk1 and dk2.

Why now?

I suggest VR enthusiasts seriously think about VR sli, and invest in another gtx970 etc.

sycophantichall
Honored Guest
I am so fucking mad about the pricing BS, that I'm done. Giving up on VR, Wholesale. Don't care that My DK2 just crapped out on me.... I'm so fucking mad that Oculus sold it's soul... Affordable VR for the masses my ass...

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
"sycophantichallenger" wrote:
I am so fucking mad about the pricing BS, that I'm done. Giving up on VR, Wholesale. Don't care that My DK2 just crapped out on me.... I'm so fucking mad that Oculus sold it's soul... Affordable VR for the masses my ass...

Do a reinstall of oculus stuff, did you recently do an nvidia driver upgrade or did the auto updated do it for you.
Driver synching problems can manifest as hardware crapping out. Hardware should be robust, but watch out for combined usb over amppage, and use powered use outlets, I burnt out one of my boxes USB ports.

zdaniel
Honored Guest
Their only mistake was to talk about a lower price that they couldn't deliver.
Other than that, 600 is about the same as a new high end smartphone.
This contains 2 OLED screens, a lot of engineering, and years of research and testing. And it's more than that. It's the birth of a new tech that will constantly evolve and become better and mainstream.
We should stop crying and deal with it, or just get it after a few months. They're not trying to rip anyone's wallet, I'm pretty sure.
When my father was a child, only rich people could afford a TV. See how TVs failed.