New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Price Point Whining

roadczarroadczar Posts: 70
Hiro Protagonist
edited January 2016 in General
The only issue here is setting lower than expected expectations. $599 is very reasonable given what we are getting.

By comparison a high-end monitor like my ROG Swift 2560 x 1440 is roughly $700, other monitors are even pricier. With Rift you are getting screen, optics, DAC, headphones, controller, camera, remote, and two games. Not to mention cables.

Comments

  • Ist pointless but, you seem not to understand why so many complaining.

    It's about what has been said by Oculus (about the Price Point) and about these weird currency translations.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,676 Valuable Player
    Price doesn't bother me the ship times do though. I really thought they would have sorted this out this time around. I thought there would of been plenty of Rifts available, but obviously not if they were snapped up in the first hour. I remember Oculus saying this wouldn't happen with the consumer version, but it seems everything they say turns out to be the opposite of what they've said.
  • roadczarroadczar Posts: 70
    Hiro Protagonist
    Flinty84 wrote:
    Ist pointless but, you seem not to understand why so many complaining.

    It's about what has been said by Oculus (about the Price Point) and about these weird currency translations.

    Oh I get it, people like to whine. :lol:
  • sabyyysabyyy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    lovethis wrote:
    Price doesn't bother me the ship times do though. I really thought they would have sorted this out this time around. I thought there would of been plenty of Rifts available, but obviously not if they were snapped up in the first hour. I remember Oculus saying this wouldn't happen with the consumer version, but it seems everything they say turns out to be the opposite of what they've said.

    Exactly.
    Even if I wanted to throw out the 800+ USD now (not a mistake, for me this is the right number), I would not be able to order it.

    Even if my country was on the list and odered a rift today I would receive it at the end of q2, even q3??

    This does not add up to me as a q1 launch. For me there is no q1 launch and probably there is no for many who ordered in the first hour!!

    So the problem is again as with price. This is not happening the way it was advertized.
  • r00xr00x Posts: 389
    Nexus 6
    sabyyy wrote:
    This does not add up to me as a q1 launch. For me there is no q1 launch and probably there is no for many who ordered in the first hour!!

    So the problem is again as with price. This is not happening the way it was advertized.

    Bang on. Fine with price. But a disastrous launch imho. I'm a Q2 Rifter, if my order has even been accepted (still don't know for sure). April. Eugh.
  • roadczar wrote:
    Flinty84 wrote:
    Ist pointless but, you seem not to understand why so many complaining.

    It's about what has been said by Oculus (about the Price Point) and about these weird currency translations.

    Oh I get it, people like to whine. :lol:

    Like i said. Pointless...
  • NedoNedo Posts: 295
    Hiro Protagonist
    interesting, 4 years ago VR didn't exist at all and today we have the best VR expirience of all time,
    its like the invention of the wheel and people b'tch about teh price? :lol:

    If i had the opportunity 10 years ago to get such a VR expirience fo $1500, just unbelievable.
    You dont get a 4K 3D Beamer for that cost, and compared the 3D is laughable to the VR 3D.
    Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016
  • roadczarroadczar Posts: 70
    Hiro Protagonist
    I know a lot of people who spent way more than that on their sound systems components. The funny thing about the whiners are their entitled expectations. Young people these days… :D
  • nightauditor1981nightauditor1981 Posts: 302
    Nexus 6
    roadczar wrote:
    I know a lot of people who spent way more than that on their sound systems components. The funny thing about the whiners are their entitled expectations. Young people these days… :D

    :D
  • sabyyysabyyy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    roadczar wrote:
    I know a lot of people who spent way more than that on their sound systems components. The funny thing about the whiners are their entitled expectations. Young people these days… :D

    Well, probably I am rather too old to tolerate 'smart' business tricks to get a toy for myself. I rather live without the toy when I feel I have not been told the truth.

    I can pretty much exchange VR with Real Reality with my 10 months old cute little daughter.
  • NedoNedo Posts: 295
    Hiro Protagonist
    sabyyy wrote:
    roadczar wrote:
    I can pretty much exchange VR with Real Reality with my 10 months old cute little daughter.

    Congrats sabby! :D
    Our youngest will come in 4month, a son!
    My 9 year old daughter is like me a VR Fan :mrgreen:
    Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,303
    Neo
    roadczar wrote:
    The only issue here is setting lower than expected expectations. $599 is very reasonable given what we are getting.

    By comparison a high-end monitor like my ROG Swift 2560 x 1440 is roughly $700, other monitors are even pricier. With Rift you are getting screen, optics, DAC, headphones, controller, camera, remote, and two games. Not to mention cables.

    Price is secondary to the subpar input solution included (or not). IT's damaging to VR and it's over charging for a very basic HMD. There is no way it costs twice as much as DK2 to make, even with better tech, much of that would balance out with economies of scale and streamlined production

    but as I said, the price is just one small factor, it's the price vs the quality of what you get for that price. It's just not good enough, especially for ex/dk owners as it's not a giant leap over DK2 but is asking a lot for it (with NO TOUCH included).

    Failure to include touch is the biggest problem here, including a gamepad is just an insult to real VR - combined the two and you have one desperate looking company trying to grab your cash before anyone else does.

    For those with more sense read:
    Oculus be damned, VIVE is the future
    The Oculus Rift is now on sale for $600, and the HTC Vive will likely cost even more when it arrives in homes this April.
    I don’t think it matters. No other VR headset can immerse users like the Vive, and the Vive Pre takes a huge leap forward by including a camera that connects its virtual holodeck space to the real people and objects in a room. That eliminates the alienation felt when wearing a virtual reality headset, which is normally blinding, and may lead to games and apps that transform real world objects and people, rather than ignoring them.
    I’m still excited about Oculus Rift, can’t wait to see more from the HoloLens, and the Gear VR won the Digital Trends Product of the Year for 2015, but damn it, I’m putting my virtual money on the HTC Vive.
    This is virtual reality. Everyone else needs to catch up.


    Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-re ... z3wZYvDQlz
    Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook
    EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
  • sabyyysabyyy Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Nedo wrote:
    sabyyy wrote:
    roadczar wrote:
    I can pretty much exchange VR with Real Reality with my 10 months old cute little daughter.

    Congrats sabby! :D
    Our youngest will come in 4month, a son!
    My 9 year old daughter is like me a VR Fan :mrgreen:

    Thanks. And I hope things around VR evens out within 8-9 years or rather much sooner.
  • My only complaint is people who insist on using the marketing buzzword price point when the word price is all you really need to say. :lol:
Sign In or Register to comment.