cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600 dollars is a Seriously. Bad. Mistake.

thornfoot
Explorer
Although you will surely get 600 dollars out of me and the other early tech adopters, that price point is truly short sighted.

The general public is not going to want to buy a CV1 at that price -- and they are where the real money is at. You will grab an extra few million dollars profit out of the hardware while losing hundreds of millions in software sales.

That is where the people that have spent their time and effort making programs for the rift expect to make their money. You just cut their user base down significantly. That kind of pisses me off.

Oculus, you all but just handed the VR race to the Vive'. That just blows my mind.

The bad press you are about to receive is frightening to contemplate. It will definitely hurt if not outright destroy Oculus's reputation. It may even put a damper the whole VR revolution.
246 REPLIES 246

SebKaine
Honored Guest
I haven't read all the thread yet, but i agree.

I'm glad i have sell my DK2 5 month ago and stop all my dev on it and focus only on gearVR and cardboard.

at 700 euros you didn't sell to your main target : people in the 13 - 35 range.
you can only sell to rich kids ...

Bad move ... really bad move !

Cheers

E

in6seconds
Expert Protege
"zdaniel" wrote:
Their only mistake was to talk about a lower price that they couldn't deliver.
Other than that, 600 is about the same as a new high end smartphone.
This contains 2 OLED screens, a lot of engineering, and years of research and testing. And it's more than that. It's the birth of a new tech that will constantly evolve and become better and mainstream.
We should stop crying and deal with it, or just get it after a few months. They're not trying to rip anyone's wallet, I'm pretty sure.
When my father was a child, only rich people could afford a TV. See how TVs failed.

the thing is, not everyone is paying 600, some countries have to pay over 1000

philipmullis
Honored Guest
its also not an issue as you see supply and demand is already over running order dates. order now on june as of this morning.
for us developers this shows promise regardless of price.

philipmullis
Honored Guest
I should also note, that having dealt with serval PC gaming builders, there is no shortage of these rich kids ordering 5k gamine machines weekly, I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a 2k headset and they sold out easily.

quality should always be the focus not cost, its great that its around 600 right now, as a previous poster said that's good considering its 2 oled screens and all the backlog of dev that's gone into the hardware.

you should not be worried about the initial price, this years going to see loads of hardware volume get pushed through. there will probably be even more pimp models with the new flexible oleds coming from other vendors in the years to come as well, the price on these things will drop eventually. just focus on making software 🙂

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
Smart money will go to vive, casusal/fun money will go to Sony

where does that leave Oculus? Oh yes straddling that strange middle line between 'shit' and 'expensive' while using a gamepad to interact with VR. Great move Oculus, it's not like you had 4 years head start on everyone else to DO VR RIGHT> :roll:

READ >
Oculus be damned, this is the future
The Oculus Rift is now on sale for $600, and the HTC Vive will likely cost even more when it arrives in homes this April.
I don’t think it matters. No other VR headset can immerse users like the Vive, and the Vive Pre takes a huge leap forward by including a camera that connects its virtual holodeck space to the real people and objects in a room. That eliminates the alienation felt when wearing a virtual reality headset, which is normally blinding, and may lead to games and apps that transform real world objects and people, rather than ignoring them.
I’m still excited about Oculus Rift, can’t wait to see more from the HoloLens, and the Gear VR won the Digital Trends Product of the Year for 2015, but damn it, I’m putting my virtual money on the HTC Vive.
This is virtual reality. Everyone else needs to catch up.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-re ... z3wZYvDQlz
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

lavojust
Honored Guest
I ordered mine for Canada and 950.00$ later (+ possible big customs fees ), im wondering ....what have I done!? :cry:

acarrilho
Explorer
"lavojust" wrote:
I ordered mine for Canada and 950.00$ later (+ possible big customs fees ), im wondering ....what have I done!? :cry:

Doesn't that price include customs? I remember paying for everything at once when ordering the DK2 to Europe.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

acarrilho
Explorer
I thought the point of Facebook (except the obvious) was the ability to skip monetizing right now, and secure the market share with more accessible VR... this isn't even close to breaking even. It's money grabbing at the expense of the tech's future, which will probably be secured by others.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

Cdots
Protege
LOL at my Price, Ok I'm in Canada and the price came to 899 plus tax and shipping WOW. I'm upset with this I wont lie. I have also bought DK1 and DK2 and I will never sell them but give a brother a better deal I have supported you in DK1 and DK2 and now I'm over 1000 dollars after tax and shipping come on man!

harmania
Honored Guest
"Cdots" wrote:
LOL at my Price, Ok I'm in Canada and the price came to 899 plus tax and shipping WOW. I'm upset with this I wont lie. I have also bought DK1 and DK2 and I will never sell them but give a brother a better deal I have supported you in DK1 and DK2 and now I'm over 1000 dollars after tax and shipping come on man!

Dk1 and dk2 stops working :(, they are supported only few months forward from now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong ?