cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus CV1 compatibility with Nvidia GTX 980 M

etienne1968
Honored Guest
please help anybody ?
I purchased the cutting edge MSI laptop GT80 TITAN dual Nvidia GTX 980M SLI in august 2015, thinking it was Oculus CV1 compatible. :evil:
I was about to preorder the CV1 but I need to know officially if my rig is ok or no ??
Apparently it doesn't seem to be.... I'm so pissed off considering the cost of my laptop : 4700$. The retailer assured me it was compatible (minimum specs being Nvidia GTX 970). :oops:
Thank you for any help....
85 REPLIES 85

steveoz32
Expert Protege
It will probably be ok. But keep in mind a mobile GTX 980 is somewhere between 960 and 970.

SLI may cause issues, but if Nvidia don't release VR compatible drivers for SLI, and Oculus runtime really is that shit that it will never support SLI, then they deserve to go bust.

I would say get it, try it, if they fail so hard that 980m SLI can't run it, well, they deserve to fail themselves.

Worst case, sell the rift on ebay for the same price you bought it for.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Try the Compatibility Tool shown here: https://shop.oculus.com

I can tell you that most laptops will not work though.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

steveoz32
Expert Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
Try the Compatibility Tool shown here: https://shop.oculus.com

I can tell you that most laptops will not work though.

Cyber, I appreciate all of your help on the forums but, have you tried a 980m SLI laptop test rig? Have you tried a 780 GTX SLI desktop test rig with CV1?

etienne1968
Honored Guest
Thank you for your assistance gentlemen. I used the compatibility tool available on the preorder shop page. My video card Nvidia GTX 980M is declared not compatible. But this tool is meaningless to me as it doesn't reflect any further driver update nor Oculus plan to troubleshoot such compatibility issues... :roll:

steveoz32
Expert Protege
"etienne1968" wrote:
Thank you for your assistance gentlemen. I used the compatibility tool available on the preorder shop page. My video card Nvidia GTX 980M is declared not compatible. But this tool is meaningless to me as it doesn't reflect any further driver update nor Oculus plan to troubleshoot such compatibility issues... :roll:

I'm of the opinion that if you already have a powerful machine, and are forking out £500 on a rift, then there is absolutely no justification to get a lesser machine just because the CV1 isn't ready to utilise common consumer products that use SLI or older more powerful tech.

A 980m SLI is 25% faster than a 980 desktop GPU.

It sounds as though from everything that I have heard that oculus runtime and drivers suck at the moment, so, powerful machine older than 9xx series or multi GPU machines will not be used to their full potential.

In reality it will mean some hiccups, some demo's might refuse to run well, others may crash, but then again we always have compatibility issues on PC's. If you want one just buy it, and if it doesn't run on your laptop then sell it for the same money on ebay. I point blank refuse to change my GPU for an inferior product. There is no single GPU on the market that can beat my system, so therefore there is no way I am downgrading my existing surround setup and junking my screens just to play a rift.

If it works for me great, if it doesn't, I'll flog it and wait for another product that is better optimised for enthusiast hardware / systems.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Steveoz32 not sure where you get the information from that a 980m in SLI is faster then a 980 Gpu.. when the 980m is already weaker then a GTX 970.

it is still possible to run VR on them though in SLI with standard settings. OCing would make it a bit faster.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Personally no, but I've seen many reports on the forum with people having issues.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

steveoz32
Expert Protege
:ugeek:
"Syrellaris" wrote:
Steveoz32 not sure where you get the information from that a 980m in SLI is faster then a 980 Gpu.. when the 980m is already weaker then a GTX 970.

it is still possible to run VR on them though in SLI with standard settings. OCing would make it a bit faster.

970SLI is faster than a 980?

The 980m is somewhere between a 960 and 970. Bench marks I have seen before show a 25%ish boost over desktop 980 when sLI 980m's are used.

A quick google and I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-E7FyV14E8 but there are other better comparisons out there. Check the core specs of the GPU's also.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Ofcourse Desktop 970 SLI is faster then a single Desktop 980. However the 980m is weaker then a single 970 by quite a lot actually. It is more on par witha 960 then close to a 970. SLI 980M might push it slightly over a desktop 980(mostly thanks to the higher GDDR5 speeds) but not in any shape or way by 25%.

Even so though, the 980m in SLI are more then sufficient for VR.